LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Post imported post

There are a lot of us on this forum who can remember back beyond 1950 without too much trouble.

I must admit that I can remember back to 1946 easily myself. That was when a large white rooster decided to flail me heartily with his legs and spurs. He didn't last too much longer though, we ate him for supper.

Think back to life as it was then. We had a 1940's era car in the driveway. Not sure if my folks had a telephone, probably did as my dad was a college instructor/football coach.

I remember going with dad tied to a row boat while he watched a cork bobbing in the little stream that must have been all of 3 feet deep running behind our house.

I remember vividly standing on a chair in the kitchen in 1946 and trying to catch a butterfly through the kitchen window. I ended up screaming on a white table while a doctor sewed up the inside of my right elbow. That scar is still there today, 2 inches long now and 3/8 inch wide.

Our lives then were a lot simpler than today. Fun was where you found it, or made it. Conversing with family and friends was an event to be treasured and we most likely got more out of it.

Today, we streamline ourselves through from day to day and often times never get out of the house. At least us retired old fogeys don't "have to" get out of the house. And yet, we still have a lot of things to entertain us and keep us "in touch with" the world and our family.

For instance. Our son, PJ, is working in London on the new Hydrogen Fuel Cell municipal bus project for the London transit agency. We get emails back and forth at least once a day, more on some days. And, like today, we even get to talk with him via Skype or his cellphone if he does not have time for the internet.

This ease of staying in touch with those whom we miss so much is being taken for granted. Indeed, we have children who are not yet old enough to remember when there was NOT a CDROM drive in their computer.

This list is huge, and this is a long post.

But what I want to impart is, we need to think about, and say Thank You to the Engineers who made it possible.

Here is a link provided by Texas Instruments that gives some funny skits at first, and then segways into some more serious and deeper subject material.

It depicts life "then" and "now".

Take a few minute to view it. In fact, take a few more minutes to just wait and watch it load another skit, and then another one. ......

http://www.ti.edn.com/?bcpid=2736620...id=57734040001

Can you remember when there was NOT an internet??

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 10:33 PM

Model: GL-1500
Post imported post

Remember when there wasn't an internet????? Hey I remember when the telephone was mounted to the wall in the hall, and you had to turn the crank on the side to get an operator...99% of the time the operator knew the exact cord to plug in the which hole on her switch board to get Mabel for you....Then most of the time every phone was a party line with several families on one line.....So any thing you told Mabel, was known all over town in short order......Yeah I remember our first ever TV too....A Silvertone from Western Auto....Black and white and we only got three channels, and they all went off air at about midnight.....Everyone could watch the TV as that there were no movies or TV shows that had any curse words, or nudity, and Sundays every channel had church services, before the movies.....

Playing till dark with friends you made, if you knew someone from another state or town it was because they were family or friends that visited your neighbors....Then if there was a girl in that visit that you wanted to keep in touch with, you wrote sappy letters and mailed them, then waited for a reply that often times never came back...

A week camping trip to my favorite state park with my family, the nightly dances at the pavilion were something to remember...As a 14 year old I learned how to do the "chicken dance" Sweaty hands dancing a slow dance with that cute little girl that lived a thousand miles from you.....Swimming in the Rio Frio, scaring the wheels off of your parents using the rope to swing out 30 feet over the river and hoping you hit the deep hole and not the shallow part of the river....

Playing games with family going camping, going to scout meetings, camping out with the scouts...This is where I learned my love of camping, and knowing how if necessary to live off the land....You knew not to misbehave because if you did, the person that caught you knew your name, and your parents phone number or address, and you got grounded or you set on a pillow to eat....Having paddle marks on your butt from the coach or principle, were usually added to when you got home....

You know other than I can set here and type messages that might be read by hundreds of people of all nationalities, cities towns states etc, and get a reply in seconds not days as with the US Postal system.....Yeah I remember no internet, it was a time that at times I would love to see happen again.....

Claude.....

THE NATION WHICH FORGETS ITS DEFENDERS WILL ITSELF BE FORGOTTEN

1982 GL-1100 Goldwing Interstate...Black Beauty
1994 GL-1500 Goldwing Aspencade...401K....

Honorary member Wild Rhinos

I have kissed the Cod, downed the Screech, and shouted "Long may your big jib draw!" I am now a member of the Royal Order of Newfoundland Screechers
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 11:03 PM

Model: 1100
Garage
Post imported post

plus one

They are all perfect
Last samuri
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 11:23 PM

Model: 2006 1800
Post imported post

John, funny you talking about old memories.. I started writing My Story 10 years ago.. This is not a Family Tree, just all I know about the Great Great Grand parents and my experiences growing up.. How things were done and how you had to entertain yourself..The work my parents did.. A wholecollection of things..

Being the last on my side of the family, I went back as far as I could.. The memories that came up along the way were fun, now..

It's 600 plus computer pages and in about another 200 more I'll be done..

I will bring it up the point that my two kids should be able to remember their youth and hopefully they'll carry it on......

Back to riding after a 30 yr lay off.. Started with a 86 Magna 750 on to a 02 Shadow 1100,99 Magna 750,91 ST1100, finaly a 93 Wing.. and now an 06 1800 Loven Life...
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 08:26 AM

Post imported post

Foodman wonderful ideal, I too stated something very similar, but all I have so far is....."I was born at a very young age".....That's it...........

I have kissed the Cod, downed the Screech, and shouted "Long may your big jib draw!" I am now a member of the Royal Order of Newfoundland Screechers
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 10:08 AM

Post imported post

I'm a youngster compared to some on here, but I too remember the days of no internet, party lines and the 4 channels on tv that went off at midnight with the national anthem.......

Growing up in a small town, everyone knew who you were "oh your so and so's boy"

I heard it all the time.

Also growing up on a farm and working our tales off for no money, just to be able to eat and have a place to sleep, plus running our own bussiness and doing the same, working our tales off....... I miss those days........

We grew up on 45 acres that I could tell you what kind of grass and weeds were on every part of that land. Not to mention the creek that ran thru it where we spent many hours crawdadding and just learning about nature.

The only time we wore shoes was when we were working, or going to school. All other times they were optional. I used to be able to walk through a dewberry patch and not even feel it.....

True story, after coming to Houston to school I started getting this pain in my foot and it just would not go away, not bad but annoying. One day I decided to figure out just what this was, I picked and poked and dug out a dewberry sticker that had been there for a year or more.....

Strange how I miss those days................

Avatar: Republic P-47 Thunderbolt (Jug)
Gotta love that R-2800 and big ole paddle blade prop.....
I love the smell of 100 octane and oil in the morning.....
Just think, this is what the Germans saw barreling in at them.... (8) 50\'s blazin away....
Ride safe and watch your six!

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 10:31 AM

Send a message via AIM to Bountyhunter Send a message via MSN to Bountyhunter Send a message via Yahoo to Bountyhunter
Post imported post

Kids today need to go back and learn a few things.Kit Carson,Sky King,How-de-doody. To name a few.My grand kids watch cartoons that are so stupid I turn them off.I agree with the rest of you just TO FAST PACED these days.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 11:00 AM

Post imported post

Not trying to high jack Johns post, but adding to what 93Wing said about the small streams..On one of my uncles farms in Madison County, where when it became time to pick the cotton or crops he grew, my Dad would take his vacation time, load us up and to the farm we went...From before sun up till sun down we picked cotton, dragging a bag that most times out weighted us by 75 lbs or more....Took about a one hour lunch break, food brought to the fields by the women folks, lots of cold iced tea, then back to picking cotton.....I hated pulling corn, I never could get the hang of it, but we had about 100 acres of corn to do every year too....

At my uncles farm there was this little stream.....After the day was over and everything was put away, that stream became the "bathing hole"..Ice cold water, rock bottom and super clear, clean water...Girls and women went first, mostly the women, because the evening meal had to be prepared, and we were still in the fields, then the girls....Us guys would hide in the woods and make noises to make the girls think something was coming their way...All in fun, but one of my cousins talked me into running through that stream while the girls were in it....That my friends was a really stupid move on my behalf....They caught me and did their best to drown me....Took my clothes and made me walk to the house with nothing but a smile on my face....I found a branch of a tree that had a few leafs still on it and tried to cover myself with it.......Boy was I the laughing stock for the rest of that summer....At 14 years old you do stupid things.....

Today that little stream is still there, and its so bad you can't even get near it....Someone bought the land behind my uncles and opened a pig farm, now the run off keeps that stream so polluted with pig crap....It's a crying shame too....But at one time I have swam in that stream, fished in it, and drank the water from it...And have memories of almost getting drowned.....

Who needs an internet when you remember the things that you did back then, mention picking cotton to one of my grand kids and they will have CPS on your back in a heart beat....charging you with Child labor laws etc.........

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 08:28 PM
Slow Learner

Model: 93 Aspy
Garage
Post imported post

My dad is 83 and I once asked him if he'd like to have his old Model B Ford back again. He said "Hell no! Any modern car makes that thing look like a piece of junk." I guess Dad isn't too nostalgic when it comes to creature comforts.Personally I love the convenience of technology and owe my health and that of my wife and both of my sons to modern medicine. As Billy Joel sang "The good old days weren't all that good and tomorrow's not as bad as it seems." Life was simpler then, but people died from polio too.

ONCE A RHINO ALWAYS A RHINO
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Miscellaneous Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page