A leap of faith, jumping out of a perfectly good aircraft at 102,000 feet. - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Post imported post

http://stratocat.com.ar/fichas-e/1960/HMN-19600816.htm

How much faith do you have in your equipment?

Just how gutsy are you?

At 5:29 on 16 August 1960 Captain Joseph W. Kittinger Jr., lifted off from an old abandoned airstrip just north of Tularosa, New Mexico, and east of Highway 70.

After a long inspiration and after saying "Lord, take care of me..." the pilot jumped at an altitude of 102,800 feet, thus having 99.2 percent of the atmosphere beneath him.

After falling for 13 seconds, his six-foot (1.8-meter) canopy parachute opened and stabilized his fall, preventing the flat spin that could have killed him. Only four minutes and 36 seconds more were needed to bring him down to about 17,500 feet (5,334 meters) where his regular 28-foot (8.5-meter) parachute opened, allowing him to float the rest of the way to Earth.

The links on this page will hold you spell bound for hours if you try to follow them all.
Am I the only nut who reads this kind of technological literature/history?

http://stratocat.com.ar/fichas-e/1960/HMN-19600816.htm

~ John
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

What is the Forum Index?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Download it here:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 10:19 AM

Model: GL-1500
Post imported post

Good find John never knew that this had been done.....Not trying to high jack your thread but we had a "close encounter with people jumping out of perfectly good air planes....

My oldest son got the urge to do some parachuting, and after his first jump he brought the video home to show us....He had two instructors, one man one woman with him on his first jump....Some how he got turned up side down which caused him to throw the male instructor away from him....That woman locked onto him and was able to get him right side up and then deployed his chute.....James thought this was all great fun until both instructors chewed him out saying that on his back his chute would not have opened!!!!!...And he would have been killed...James said it was so much fun the first time, but admitted on his second jump he screamed like a little girl all the way down....

Couple years after that we went to this jump school and were doing a build out of offices, restrooms and locker rooms at this air strip....I stopped to watch James make a jump, let me tell you its not the greatest feeling watching him falling....But what shut everything down that day was a near miss by one of their very experienced jumpers....This woman jumped out of the plane with the group, everyone's chutes started opening except hers....It got twisted up and she had to cut it loose and open her reserve chute....She "popped" at way below the recommended height, and was coming down a a rate of speed that if she had not been an experienced jumper, it would have been super nasty....

She had three choices to land, one on the runway, which was concrete, she would have been rolling on it and breaking every thing...The next was in this tall grass next to the run way , here this tall grass would have been like razor blades cutting her up...Her last choice was in the ditch, with about three foot of water in it and about 8 foot across....She came in fast and furious, with her heels down and her toes up, hit that water going like I said super fast....She put up behind her a perfect "rooster tail" .....She went about 100 yards before she "dumped" her chute...Even then she made about 4 somersaults before she stopped....People were running, one truck was rolling and just as they reached her she stood up, totally wet, and quite shaken but not hurt....She had just bought that chute the day before and a jump master had packed it for her...That was one jump master who never worked around that club again!!!!!....

James mom and his wife were there too, after that incident James never jumped again...BTW..... That was the day we found out that our daughter in law was going to have our first grandson, she had planned on telling us later that night over dinner....So James days of jumping are over....

Claude....

THE NATION WHICH FORGETS ITS DEFENDERS WILL ITSELF BE FORGOTTEN

1982 GL-1100 Goldwing Interstate...Black Beauty
1994 GL-1500 Goldwing Aspencade...401K....

Honorary member Wild Rhinos

I have kissed the Cod, downed the Screech, and shouted "Long may your big jib draw!" I am now a member of the Royal Order of Newfoundland Screechers
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 10:27 AM
Banned

Post imported post

You finance it, and I'll do it.

I love this kind of stuff too.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 12:10 PM

Post imported post

I have 102 jumps recorded, all have been safe, well mostly safe, there was one, jumping into a jungle that was not so safe.

There was a time when we would jump as many times as possible in a day. Means as soon as you hit, you have anohter chute ready to go and hit the jump plane again, while the packer is making up your previous chute and you do it again, did up to 8 in a day. Mind you these were all younger days. I have not jumped in over 15 years. Nor would I attempt the 102 thousand foot jump, or maybe when I first started, na, don't think even then.

Spider Bob

GROWING OLDER IS MANDATORY, GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps, it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away."

Patriot Guard Rider
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 06:24 PM

Post imported post

Pretty cool AZOnly person to go supersonic un-assisted, IIRC. Pretty brave/crazy sumbitch too.

Here's another Holloman/White sands crazy thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UEYxf4fl_A

I was stationed at H.A.F.B. with the 54'th TAC fighter wing/detached to work on T-38s avionics. We used to see strange, u.f.o.(because we didn't know what the heck we we're seeing sometimes but we we're pretty sure they were ours lol)in the sky.

Thanks for the link

Hobie

Mark
Wineberry 1983 Interstate
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 06:42 PM
Just one of the guys

Model: '94 1500 SE with Tri-wing Trike kit
Garage
Post imported post

That sled track is really cool. It is so flat you can't belive it unless you see it. 10 miles long and, if I recall correctly, it does not even follow the curve of the earth. I got to sit atop Thule Peak and watch a sled test at night one time. Totally amazing what they do there.

Doug

Home Security System designed by Bill Ruger

'94 Bermuda Green Pearl SE With Tri-Wing Trike conversion

The more I try to keep my Trike clean, the less I like Chrome.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Miscellaneous Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page