post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Post imported post

Customer Service

Ever had the experience of poor customer service?

Yesterday, I was at a local Checker Auto Parts store which has been merged into the O’Reilly chain of stores. I frequent this store when I need something in their line of business.

On this particular visit, things did not go well. I asked if a Battery Tender Jr. is in stock? Sales guy looks and says “Yes, we have two.”

I reply that I only need one, and he turns to go get the battery charger.

Then the counter phone rings, he answers it and there upon ensues a 10 minute conversation, several trips to the stock shelves, “yes in stock, no, don’t have that….”

I then tell the guy that I “Hey, I think I was here before that phone rang”

He replies “I know that sir” and end of subject.

I wait 5 minutes, and then I tell him that he is going to receive an email that he will never forget.

I write up an email and send it to O’Reilly corporate customer service. 3 hours later, I have a reply email from the Phoenix Customer Service Manager.

Just 15 minutes ago, I get a call and my cell phone announces the name of the same store that I was in yesterday (in my contact list).

Conversation as best I can remember the words:

“Hello, Mr. Upset?”

Yes,

“This is David O’Reilly and I understand that you had an unpleasant experience here in my store and I want to personally apologize to you. I am not too big of a person to admit when something goes wrong. We are all human beings and make mistakes, but I wanted you to know that I will see that this mistake does not get repeated again.”

We talked a bit more.

But, the chain of events, to be compressed into only about 6 business hours? I don’t know where David O’Reilly lives, but he was at that store because my cell phone identified the number and the name label to that number.

I’m impressed, and on my way to that store to buy that charger that I did not get yesterday.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 12:22 PM

Year: 2003
Model: GL1800
Send a message via Yahoo to wexy
Post imported post

You will probably get the charger on top of your head John ,,

CIARAN (pronounced Keeron)
yes it is Gaelic

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 12:38 PM

Post imported post

lol

Whatever throws your hair back!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Post imported post

Same store, different experience.

Walked in the O’Reilly’s store a bit ago. Casually looked around to see what is going on.

3 employees plus a guy stocking in the isles.

2 guys on counter (one is the same that I had trouble with yesterday), one running back and forth.

Phones start ringing but go unanswered until the stocker guy goes to the counters. He puts a line on hold and tells “my guy” this is for him. Get’s a reply back “in a minute”. Sure enough, Mister Counter Salesman handles the guy at the counter, takes his money, and then answers the phone.

About a minute later, hangs up the phone and in bright chipper tone, asks me if I am being waited on? Then the guy behind me “you sir?” , and then the guy that walks in the door “Can I help you?” All this from the same guy who ignored me yesterday.

The stocker guy who answered the 1[sup]st[/sup] phone line? He puts that line on hold, asks me what I need. He goes right to the place the Battery Tender Jr. is stocked (he stocked it, right?) and I make motions to pay for it. He tells me “I’m just the driver, they can help you over there.”

Fine, I grin to myself, and then the guy who had been running back and forth comes up and says “I can help you with that.”

Boda Boom de Aay…… I fork over my ATM card, and I walk out of the store grinning from ear to ear. I finish my rounds to the bank, grocery store, and back to home. Still feeling all good…

Yep, little things can sure make a difference in your day.

Thank you very much, Mr. David O’Reilly. I do believe that somebody heard you and I really appreciated that personal phone call from you, and AT THAT SAME STORE TOO !

Mr. O'Reilly, it might not hurt for your employee training session to include a small tidbit of information.

That guy that just got ignored and really ticked off? He is not just one guy, he is the whole wide world. Things have changed, and the bad stuff flies around the world before the counter guy can go take that "Next Important Phone Call".

Yep, the world wide web is truly a powerful thing. Best we not all forget it.

John

~ John

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 02:42 PM

Model: GL1100 / GL1200
Post imported post

I had a buddy who managed one of the NAPA stores in Des Moines. I was in trying to cross reference a part out of my boss' stock car, having no idea what the part originally came out of, and my buddy Rob was helping me, and the other counter guy was with another customer with another in line.

The phone started ringing.

Nobody moved.

It rang
and rang
and rang
and rang
and rang
and rang

"Ferchrissakes Rob, you going to grab that thing?"

"Nope. You're standing here to spend money, they're calling to tie up time I could be taking your money to lookie-loo over the phone. Customers at the counter come first"

I've always remembered that...to the point that when I'm in places like that, I pay attention, and if someone answers a phone while there are customers at the counter, I make it a point to make sure they hear me ask nobody "Wonder if they want to yak on the phone, or take my money today?"

Mike Kramer

"Learn from the past, set vivid, detailed goals for the future, and live in the only moment of time over which you have any control: Now."

Denis Waitley
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 03:43 PM

Model: GL1500SE
Post imported post

I canunderstand them answering the phone but they should either take the person's number for a call back or have them hold.

Len
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 04:55 PM
Monkey with a Football

Model: Linux, Firewalls & VPNs
Garage
Post imported post

When you get there, tell them it's cheaper at Harbor Freight.

Rudy

...and the rabid dog they gave me
wasn't too much fun
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Post imported post

A small addendum to the story.

My hearing being a tad bit off, I missed an important word in the phone call this morning.

"Hello?

This is David at O'Reilly's and I learned that he is the store manager."

That's okay, he called me personally and we are on okay terms. that is all I needed to know.

~ John

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 07:22 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Post imported post

I had a "customer service" problem at Lowes the other day. Problem was there wasn't any. I emailed Lowes corp. and got a reply and also got an email from the local store manager, wanted to know what day and time. I replied "what difference does it make" it has happened at least 2 other times I could think of in different departments. I don't think I'll be going back. I can get the same stuff at good prices at a small locally owned store and always get service.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 07:57 PM
Old School Guru

Year: 2007
Make: Goldwing
Model: GL1800 CSC Trike with Navi
Garage
Post imported post

Me and Keaula like to eat at IHOP on occasion before getting groceries. The local IHOP is only a little over a year old, and usually when we get there it is early, and only a few customers, but we might have to wait 30 minutes after we are seated to get waited on. I got so fed up the last time that I e-mailed corporate, and late that evening, I got a reply from the manager of that IHOP promising to do better. We will see. We never have this problem at any other IHOP by the way, and this one has plenty of staff hanging around. So anyway, I hate bad customer service too.

Gene

Gene Lester
Present Bikes: 2007 GL1800 CSC Trike with Navi
Loud pipes don't save lives, they just annoy everyone.
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The "United States of America", for an amount of up to and including their life. (Author unknown)

Proud member of the World Famous Wild Rhinos
Arkansas Chapter
Darksider #265
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Miscellaneous Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page