Camping gear - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Model: GL-1500
Post imported post

OK I know this maybe should be in the Camping thread but I think its worth seeing here first....OK try as I may before we left to go on our last camp out I couldn't find a reasonable priced porta potty....Even when looking at the cheap ones they suggested that you be under "X" numbers of pounds, or they were like setting on the ground....Due to my past surgery, I need to go at least a couple times a night..Getting out of our tent, making the 30 yard dash to the camp ground restroom was "Run Baby Run"....Had it been further, well lets not go there....

So this morning I went out into my garage, to gather up some tools I had left out of the tool boxes...I sat down on a Home Depot bucket, my bucket with the soft lid with some electric cords inside...HEY!!!..It's just the right height!!!!...OK one quick trip to Lowes...bought a commode seat, some rolls of foam tape and came home...

Took two 2x4's glued them together, then once dry took my trusty band saw, cut the 2x4's to fit inside the bucket....Had a piece of cabinet grade 3/4 in plywood, marked out the commode seat, even to where the mounting bolts are...Cut it out, cut the inside circle out too....I left a small area on each side to screw my pieces of 2x4's to...Glued and screwed...The seat now slides down into the bucket...It's sturdy to sit on...

OK the foam tape is one inch thick, stuck in under the seat, to seal it on the plywood, then stuck a piece around the lid of the commode seat....Hey its now a "sealed" unit....A regular kitchen trash bag fits perfect, will use "kitty litter" in the bag...One more thing...I had to bend the handle on the bucket to clear the seat, so if I need to I can carry the whole unit....

Tomorrow I'm going to take the seat off and put several coats of clear sealer on it....Thinking an epoxy clear....?????

Cheap potty's...????..Start at $10.00 bucks but made for small people...High dollar ones over $300.00, that flush, have your knees in your face, I would need a lift to get on and off of it....One commode seat, foam tape, less than $20.00 bucks and it will hold my heavy fanny........

Will post pictures later....OH yeah to keep the lid from tipping the bucket over I had some small chain that I attached to the plywood, to the lid....it only goes so far, the chain holds it.....My thinking is this....The seat comes off and is less than 5in high, easy storage in camping gear. the bucket??? There is always that need for odd things to carry on camping trips, the bucket can be used for those items...

THE NATION WHICH FORGETS ITS DEFENDERS WILL ITSELF BE FORGOTTEN

1982 GL-1100 Goldwing Interstate...Black Beauty
1994 GL-1500 Goldwing Aspencade...401K....

Honorary member Wild Rhinos

I have kissed the Cod, downed the Screech, and shouted "Long may your big jib draw!" I am now a member of the Royal Order of Newfoundland Screechers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 11:19 AM

Post imported post

That's funny you mention this, before we had a buidling with full bathroom at the farm we used the same type setup.......

Avatar: Republic P-47 Thunderbolt (Jug)
Gotta love that R-2800 and big ole paddle blade prop.....
I love the smell of 100 octane and oil in the morning.....
Just think, this is what the Germans saw barreling in at them.... (8) 50\'s blazin away....
Ride safe and watch your six!

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 03:28 PM

Year: 1998
Model: SE
Post imported post

Very creative. Let's see the pictures when you have a chance

1998 1500 SE

Kevin Reitz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 05:42 PM

Garage
Post imported post

well there are 2 really cheap acutally almost free ways to go for a porta potty

1 is a 5 gallon bucket you can even put a old toilet seat on it for privcy use one of them circular shower curtians

number 2 is a military shovel that folds up and a roll of toilet paper now in a pinch a bit of dry dirt or even grass will work just dont eat with that hand lol

i think spending 300 bucks on a portable crapper is a crappy way to spend hard earned money

crap in a hole cover it up, just think of the enviorment you'll be helping the grass grow that much greener at that particular spot

i am the current president of the non punctuators and bad spelling motorcycle group

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 05:05 AM
Passed On, R.I.P.

Location: Baldwinsville, Just Outside of Syracuse, New York, USA
Model: 09 Gl1800
Post imported post

One thing to replace the kitty litter is Wood Pellets for a wood stove.

I have been using them for the cat for years.

A 40 pond bag of Pellets is about $4.50 compared to the high price of kitty litter.

A Plus is you can use a handful of Wood pellets to start your fire on those damp campsites.

The big Plus is that the pellets break down into sawdust that can be scattered about instead of thrown away.

I use the cheaper Pine pellets as the smell is so much better than the Hardwood pellets.

Try it you will like it.

Mohawk... Protecting the environment. grin

95 Aspencade, Dressed to the Nines
Live to Ride - Ride to Live
My 4th Wing with 43 Years in the Wind Now
I have owned over 50 bikes now, This is the longest I have owned only one bike.

Prior USMC Sgt. and Vietnam Vet - Platoon Sgt. and D.I.
PGR Member since 2006 - Serving Those Who Served For Us.

The Native Americans found out what happens when you don't control immigration.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 08:46 AM

Post imported post

A small plastic trowel and a ziplock baggie with toilet paper and a lighter!

When rock climbing be sure to take some extra ziplock bags along because it is very hard to bury the solids 1000' up a rock face, the fluids you can let fly into the wind though.

'RIDE TO BE SEEN'

Most common quote from a cager after killing a motorcyclist is?

"I never saw him".
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 10:09 PM
Still a winger at heart.

Model: Sure wish I could ride...
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to UbarW
Post imported post

how about
"Uncle Booger's Bumper Dumper"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Proud Member of the Patriot Guard Riders-Id: 79170

Panel 16W - Line 33

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 10:56 PM
Passed On, R.I.P.

Post imported post

$69.95?????

UBarW wrote:
Quote:
how about
"Uncle Booger's Bumper Dumper"

Michael
Too much chrome to polish, too little time!!
Have trailer, will travel!! Not all Wingers are old Wingers.

PGR member. Riding in memory of my father, Clyde D. Ward, USN. WWII

Myself, USN, Vietnam Vet. 68-72, 74-76
VF-194 aboard the USS. Oriskany
USS Saratoga, ships company

-----------------------------------
Bagmaster, our former forum Toolmaster and friend, is no longer with us. He passed away in February 2012.

The roads and byways, no matter how beautiful and exhilarating, are a lonelier place now. RIP Bagmaster (Baggy).
-----------------------------------
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Miscellaneous Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page