GPS advice needed - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-15-2012, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Deceased 1/2017

Model: GL1200 Se-i Trike
Send a message via Skype™ to RobTheHillbilly
Post imported post

I need to find a good GPS that I can have points put into as I go along a route in the mountains and then be able to transfer it to the computer for something like Google maps. Anybody got some suggestions? I am not really familiar with this type of GPS and need help on the ones to look at to buy and the ones to stay away from. I would like to stay in the 125 - 175 range.

1986 GL1200 SE-i Trike
Thanks to my wife who puts up with me saying "I wonder if this will work" and who likes my cooking!

The Wife...Louann

Tennessee F.& A.M.
Past Master Arcana Lodge #489
32* KCCH Scottish Rite, Valley Of Knoxville Orient of Tennessee

Freemasonry--2B1ASK1

What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us, what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pike

Honorary Rhino NASSIR7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-15-2012, 10:24 PM

Model: GL1500SE
Post imported post

I have a "Spot" that tracks me every 10 minutes but I think you are looking for one with a more detailed tracking / record feature.

Len
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-15-2012, 10:54 PM

Post imported post

I am quite happy with the Garmin E-Trex Legend HCX (a hand-held unit designed for hiking etc), but I can't comment on the usefulness of the included map. I have the Topo Canada map which serves me well for the places I go, but it is extra cost. I can't load the whole of Canada into the HCX, but it's fairly easy to load in a lot of territory through the PC. Setting a mark is a snap and giving it a unique name isn't too difficult after you do it a couple of times. It will plot your route - where you've been, and you can program a route to your destination as well. No voice, but it does beep.

It has a colour screen, lasts a long time on the 2xAA batteries, and is water proof or water resistant. With an optional 12V adaptor it runs without wearing down the batteries and the screen can be left on bright which is a real benefit.

I'll be using it on my 2010 Wing with the Navi system because this handheld gives me some comprehensive time and speed data thats fun to have and isn't available on the Wing. With the Topo map I can also get a lot more data about towns and roads.

It takes a couple of minutes or so to give a reading while it aquires the satellites, but I'm amazed about how well it keeps on ticking in spite of trees overhead and seriously cloudy weather.

Sorry, I don't have experience with other units for comparisson.

Regards,

Greg
2010 GL 1800 (ABS, NAVI, AIRBAG)

Carol
2001 V-Star 1100 Custom

Previously (Greg):
1998 GL1500 SE, 2005 Vulcan Nomad 1600, 1986 GL1200 Aspencade, 1983 GL1100 Aspencade, 1982 Kawasaki 1100 Spectre,
19xx Honda Nighthawk 450.

Previously (Carol):
1986 GL1200 Aspencade, 1985 Yamaha Virago, 19xx Kawasaki 440.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 06:05 AM
Token Canuk

Model: 1996 SE
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to 96aspencade Send a message via Skype™ to 96aspencade
Post imported post

I also have a E Trex HCX, work great, there also is a way to get the topo maps you need without spending ..............

Retired Paramedic - 35 yrs
Never had a bad day riding-Just some better than others!!
DD # 1138
30,000 miles - Formosa,
'96 GL 1500 SE - 260,k km
Goodyear Assurance (175/60/16), now on my 2nd
'84 Shadow VT 750c - 35,k km- BF Goodrich Radial TA
'90 Suzuki Intruder 750 88,k km
'85 GL 1200 Aspencade - 185,k km
'83 Shadow 500
'70 Kawasaki KE-125
'?? Suzuki 80

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(Skid Prevention/ Emergency Techniques)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 12:14 PM

Year: 1999
Make: Honda
Model: 99 1500 SE
Garage
Post imported post

Rob, there are many that will fit your needs. I own only Garmin units, I currently have7 of them. One in each car, one in each boat one on my Goldwing, one on a 4 wheel dirt bike and one handheld for hiking/hunting. My kids all have Garmins, gifts from me. They are all good units and each will do what you are looking for. With Garmin units you can upload the waypoints you make into a Garmin program called Mapsource. Once there you can tell it to "view in Google Earth" and it will open Google Earth if not already open, and display the exact position of your waypoint. One place for good information is:

http://gpsinformation.net/ Lots of very good information there. I am heavily into GPS so if you have more questions send me a PM.

Larry

Retired, Lazy, Broke, and riding the Wing every day that I aint out fishin!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Deceased 1/2017

Model: GL1200 Se-i Trike
Send a message via Skype™ to RobTheHillbilly
Post imported post

I have looked at the Garmin E-Trex Legend HCX, and am very impressed with it. It looks like what I need because we will be back in the mountains and I would be very interested in finding a topo map that I could use on it. What I would like to eventually be able to do is after coming home from a day of riding in the mountains and finding new trails is to be able to download the routes that we took and look at it on something like Google maps.
I really appreciate the help!!!

1986 GL1200 SE-i Trike
Thanks to my wife who puts up with me saying "I wonder if this will work" and who likes my cooking!

The Wife...Louann

Tennessee F.& A.M.
Past Master Arcana Lodge #489
32* KCCH Scottish Rite, Valley Of Knoxville Orient of Tennessee

Freemasonry--2B1ASK1

What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us, what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pike

Honorary Rhino NASSIR7
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 09:33 AM

Year: 1999
Make: Honda
Model: 99 1500 SE
Garage
Post imported post

Below is a sample of what a Garmin track looks like in Google Earth. Much better if you are in the program so you can zoom and scrool.

The grey line is the track through a Florida swamp. I added the pushpin to show where we stopped to have lunch. About 20 of us on 4 wheelers made it an all day trip. It was very easy to do this with Garmin supplied Mapsource software. Upload the track from the GPS to Mapsource and tellitto view the track in Google Earth. It opens G E for you and displays the track.

Larry

Retired, Lazy, Broke, and riding the Wing every day that I aint out fishin!
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Miscellaneous Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page