when will Apple Split? - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Their history has two splits. 2000 and 2005. Each time the stock was around $90-100 when they did a 2:1.

They're well over $500/share right now, and this share price limits purchases for the most part, to institutional investors.

Not many people want to toss $5,000 at a position and walk away with less than 10 shares.

My name is Rusty. I'm an enthusiast of things that ride, drive and fly.

IBA: 63413
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 11:23 PM
Senior Mem & Story Teller

Year: 2010
Make: honda
Model: 2010 GL 1800 comfort (buried after fire)
Post imported post

Does Apple really worry about that. With their position at the top of the heap are they worried about small people investing? To me it is just like small investors who cannot buy good IPO stock without having to buy it second hand at a much higher price than it was initially listed at.

With the lines we saw today waiting to buy the new Apple toy, Apple stock has to be going up some more.

Life is a collection of stories we old people tell and hope a few will listen and carry them into the future.

There is a story to everything we have, everyone we have met and everything we have done or we will do or dream about doing.

We sometimes ride to forget, but hopefully we never forget to ride.

Illinois Patriot Guard

Honda SL 175
Honda XL 350
Honda CB 750 X 2
Kawasaki 250
Honda GL 1200 Interstate
Honda GL 1800 (my last and one of the last made in the USA)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 01:20 AM
Postpubescent member

Model: None at present
Post imported post

Take a good look at their P/E ratio, Apple is going great guns right now but it could be getting near it's peak. Usually when a company is rocketing up and people are buying and driving prices up it's near the end of the upside. Tech stocks of ALL companies are volatile. Look at energy stocks, particularly oil companies. They have been good to me.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present
Past 'Wings: GL1100, GL1200, GL1500, GL1800

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 06:47 AM
The Irish Crew

Model: GL1100 Interstate
Post imported post

Apple should be safe for a while yet. Their clever marketing and new devices since the iPhone are what drove them up. The danger now is they will run out of ideas. The iPad/Tablet idea is now being done very well by other companies, and Apple need to come up with something new to catch the publics imagination. With that in mind, I wouldn't buy Apple shares at the current price, but wish I had when they were $150 and I had the opportunity.

Alan Fitzpatrick.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 09:36 AM
Senior Mem & Story Teller

Year: 2010
Make: honda
Model: 2010 GL 1800 comfort (buried after fire)
Post imported post

exavid wrote:
Quote:
Take a good look at their P/E ratio, Apple is going great guns right now but it could be getting near it's peak. Usually when a company is rocketing up and people are buying and driving prices up it's near the end of the upside. Tech stocks of ALL companies are volatile. Look at energy stocks, particularly oil companies. They have been good to me.
While I have no money to invest myself in the stock market I do "Kind Of" watch it. I worked with a gentleman in St. Louis who energetically/profitably invested in the market. His investing was considered to be conservative. He always was watchful for what he called market corrections. He would bail out on stocks that were rocketing up in value as he said a little profit was much better than losing big time when the speculator/manipulators decided to dump their stocks in that company and drive it down. He was also very much against the computer trading. He thought that any stocks bought should be by law owned for 30 days before able to be sold and that would stabilize the market.

His favorite stock was his wife's stock. She inherited some of the original shares in the Lemay Ferry Bank. That was the St. Louis bank that when banks were being bought by the bigger banksanswered their phones "Lemay Ferry Bank. We are not for sale."

Life is a collection of stories we old people tell and hope a few will listen and carry them into the future.

There is a story to everything we have, everyone we have met and everything we have done or we will do or dream about doing.

We sometimes ride to forget, but hopefully we never forget to ride.

Illinois Patriot Guard

Honda SL 175
Honda XL 350
Honda CB 750 X 2
Kawasaki 250
Honda GL 1200 Interstate
Honda GL 1800 (my last and one of the last made in the USA)
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 12:07 PM
Postpubescent member

Post imported post

FitzAl wrote:
Quote:
Apple should be safe for a while yet. Their clever marketing and new devices since the iPhone are what drove them up. The danger now is they will run out of ideas. The iPad/Tablet idea is now being done very well by other companies, and Apple need to come up with something new to catch the publics imagination. With that in mind, I wouldn't buy Apple shares at the current price, but wish I had when they were $150 and I had the opportunity.
I agree. Popular tech companies have to keep coming out with something new and different to keep climbing. Microsoft would have been great to put some money in back in the 80s but now it's a mature business with little popular interest beyond the geek market. Apple's competition is catching up with them rapidly now. The android phones are eating the iPhone market and the iPad has stiff competition too. There's only so much you can do with these things that's new and attractive to the young people who buy things because their friends do. Kinda like Hula Hoops. Investing to me isn't getting on a fast moving roller coaster other than to take a flyer with a small amount for the heck of it, but to find and invest in solid companies and prefer dividends over stock value.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 01:07 PM
Piled Higher and Deeper

Post imported post

Available market for tablets is not even close to saturated... (about 25% of expected market total in 5 years) P/E is still much below other tech stocks with an earnings of $35 per share.. at 20:1, price will be $700/share.. and at the projected 2012 earnings of $75/share, that would translate (20:1) tobe $1500.. about 3x what it is now.. there will be bumps and sell-offs, but my personal opinion is that that it is good for the long haul... probably flatten at $600-$700 until new earnings come into the picture then up from there... (if you lose your shirt.. not my fault)

Apple has the market share with Android Samsungs (and a few other smaller notables.. kindle nook)in pursuit...and Apple's Steve Jobs claims the Samsung Android tablet isa "stolen product" (it is my understanding that Samsung makes the A5chip for the Ipad) and vowed to fight until justice was served or the cash reserve of AAPL was depleted.. 'course he is gone so it remains to be seen whether current execs will take that stance (probably not) but they will still be aggressive against theSamsung product... and my guess is that the current execs will focus on profits more than Steve did (his focus was products).. probably very good for the short haul (1 or 2 years).. maybe not as good for the long.. we'll see..

Needless to say, I have some AAPL and would still buy more at the current price if I had the money...

As to the original question, my feeling is that aapl will eventually split... and I think a dividend might be int he future (it was Steve that never wanted to pay a dividend)..

Edit... one of the areas that SAmsung (and nook and kindle) have an advantage is in the mini-tablet.. Look for Apple to come out in the near future with it's 6" or 7" version of the Ipad.. or maybe it will be a larger version of the Iphone that includes Ipad features.. (this would be a direct hit against Samsung as I understand that the Iphone chip is sourced to Qualcom rather than Samsung).. watch QCOM too.. (you can't buy Samsung.. or at least it is more difficult as it is on the Korean stock exchange.. and wrought with problems )

AKA "Jim"
---------------
Have a Gold Wing? Look at the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
! even though they closed this one it has the best graphics and is valid.
---------------
If a man speaks in the forest and there is no woman to hear him, is he still wrong?
---------------
2000 GL1500SE
1983 GL1100I
---------------
But formerly San Diego, Terra Haute, Aiken, Oak Ridge, Tonopah NV, Pasadena CA, Aiken SC, Richland WA, and now back to Tonopah NV..)
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 03:58 PM
Postpubescent member

Post imported post

I'm not all that sure about Apple in the longer run, I heard just today that Samsung is doing much better in Asia than Apple. Their market isn't nearly as mature as ours so it will be interesting. Might be worth getting into Samsung.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 04:15 PM
Piled Higher and Deeper

Post imported post

Paul, you might be right about Samsung .. best of both worlds.. If Ipad is big, then there will be a lot of Samsung A5 chips sold.. If Samsung beats Apple, then Samsung wins too..(but where would you buy Samsung stock??)... reminds me of the Apple vs Microsoft battles in the 80's... The Android system is much more open than the Apple hence its rising popularity.. but it is exactly that openess (i.e. ofthe PC with Windows) that moves me now from PC to Apple... I just bought the "new Ipad".. delivers 3/16.. I just got overwhelmingly tired of virus and malware, slow scans, paying for updates... I suppose that it could happen to Apple too, but for now I am looking forward to trying it..

AKA "Jim"
---------------
Have a Gold Wing? Look at the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
! even though they closed this one it has the best graphics and is valid.
---------------
If a man speaks in the forest and there is no woman to hear him, is he still wrong?
---------------
2000 GL1500SE
1983 GL1100I
---------------
But formerly San Diego, Terra Haute, Aiken, Oak Ridge, Tonopah NV, Pasadena CA, Aiken SC, Richland WA, and now back to Tonopah NV..)
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 11:23 PM
Postpubescent member

Post imported post

A broker should be able to get it. It's on the Korean market. Here's some info.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Miscellaneous Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page