Over 600,000 Mac computers infected 4/3/2012 by Flashbot - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Post imported post

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-574...shback-botnet/

The company -- Dr. Web -- originally reported today that 550,000 Macintosh computers were infected by the growing Mac botnet. But later in the day, Dr. Web malware analyst Sorokin Ivan announced on Twitter that the number of Macs infected with Flashback had increased to 600,000, with 274 of those based in Cupertino, Calif.

@mikko, at this moment botnet Flashback over 600k, include 274 bots from Cupertino and special for you Mikko - 285 from Finland
— Sorokin Ivan (@hexminer) April 4, 2012

More than half of the Macs infected are in the United States (57 percent), while another 20 percent are in Canada, Dr. Web said.
The malware was initially found in September 2011 masquerading as a fake Adobe Flash Player plug-in installer, but in the past few months it has evolved to exploiting Java vulnerabilities to target Mac systems. A new variant that surfaced over the weekend appears to be taking advantage of Java vulnerability for which Apple released a patch yesterday.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 01:09 AM

Post imported post

Just downloaded the fix for my Max. Just to be on the safe side.

Spider Bob

GROWING OLDER IS MANDATORY, GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps, it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away."

Patriot Guard Rider
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 08:09 PM

Model: 1997 GL1500 2007 GL1800
Garage
Post imported post

That was good info. Even though I dont have a mac, my sister does. Her email recently got hacked along with 1 of the online games my nephew plays. I passed along your info and she did the patch. I reminded her to go and xhange the passwords on everything. Was it 1 of the 600,000? Dont know but she should be fine now.....

Mike K.
Honorary Wild Rhino- Thanks Fly!!

07 GL1800 - Crucible Orange Metallic
Premium Audio/Comfort/NAVI/ABS
Converted to California Sidecar Viper Trike.

Darkside #1659
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Post imported post

Sometimes, when I post these "off topics" I wonder if it is just taking up bandwidth that could be better spent on a "good topic".

I read so many newsletters just keeping in touch with my interests that sometimes I think everyone should be interested in them too.

My wife rails at me for telling her useless junk stuff, and she has yet to find anything humorous about what we all think of as fun from our "Fun Forum".

Kind of takes the fun out of trying to communicate within the house.

~ John

Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Off Topic Section > Miscellaneous Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page