With a tear in my eye. - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Mem & Story Teller

Year: 2010
Make: honda
Model: 2010 GL 1800 comfort (buried after fire)
Post imported post

Just saw this in the paper. Makes me kind of sad as it was a 1952 Army Dodge brush truck that I modified and painted. I built a tank unit with a gasoline poweredpump, hose reels from a old fuel truck, oneon top of the tank and one on the front with a platform for a couple of firefighters to ride on while spraying water. I even built the siren from a Heathkit Siren Kit and modified it so it would reach a pitch high enough to makes dogs a mile away howl.

I chuckle at the memory of the Fire Chief draining the 150 gallon water tank so they could raise it easier to change a tire and forgetting to refill the tank. The guys that responded to a grass fire thought the truck was running faster and when they got to the fire they had no water. But do not fear, the 2.5 ton 6x6army truck I built into a 1200 gallon tanker/brush truck got there and saved the day. That 6x6 truck was trashed when the tornado hit the town and dropped the fire station on top of all of the trucks. One of the firefighters crawled thru the wreckage, fired up the 6x6 and drove it out of the collapsed station.They said it was covered with piles of concrete blocks as it came thru what once was a station wall. Did not make it pretty but at least they had a truck to help with rescue of citizens. The 3/4 ton was under a frame we had made out of 8" oil field casing pipe so we could store things above it and it survived without as much as a scratch. The 3 other factory fire trucks were trashed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rural fire department sells vintage brush truck

Posted: Thursday, May 10, 2012 10:45 am | Updated: 10:53 am, Thu May 10, 2012.

A piece of Wabash County history has left the county for its new home in upstate New York.

The Allendale Rural Fire Protection District (ARFPD) sold its Korean War vintage, ¾-ton, 4x4 cargo carrier in an online auction recently. According to Allendale Fire Chief Gerald Brooks, the vehicle known as Brush 6 fetched $3,000 from the owner of a John Deere dealership.

A large semi-tractor trailer from LeCount Trucking, LLC of Goshen, Ind., arrived this week to haul the former fire truck, after the vehicle’s new owner also agreed to finance the shipping. The ARFPD loaded Brush 6 onto the rig’s trailer with the assistance of a front-end loader from the Village of Allendale.

The local rural fire protection district retired the old vehicle last year after obtaining three grants — money that allowed them to buy a used F-350 crew-cab, diesel, utility truck, plus a skid unit (water tank, pump and hose reels). Members of the department provided the labor to customize the new truck to meet the needs of the department.

Brooks said the proceeds from the sale of the old Brush 6 will help defray some of the costs to outfit the new brush truck.

Life is a collection of stories we old people tell and hope a few will listen and carry them into the future.

There is a story to everything we have, everyone we have met and everything we have done or we will do or dream about doing.

We sometimes ride to forget, but hopefully we never forget to ride.

Illinois Patriot Guard

Honda SL 175
Honda XL 350
Honda CB 750 X 2
Kawasaki 250
Honda GL 1200 Interstate
Honda GL 1800 (my last and one of the last made in the USA)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Miscellaneous Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page