New GPS - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Model: 1985 Limited Edition GL1200
Post imported post

My Magellan GPS was acting quirky about 40 miles away from Eurika Springs when I was going to NASSIR 5 and when I left, it seemed totaly untrustworthy so I stopped at Walmart in Berryville and bought a Garmin Nuvi 2555 LMT, (Lifetime Map And Traffic updates..).... I've tried registering it on-line with no success yet but that's not the reason for my post...

The package as I said shows the model as being a Nuvi 2555 LMT but on the unit it shows the model as being the Nuvi 2555 LM, (Lifetime Maps). Has anyone else bought and used one of these Beasties?? I'm very pleased with it so far as the ease of use and the display far exceeds the Magellan I had. Just wondering if the LMT designation is supposed to be on the unit....

Also after a search on the Garmin site I found a listing for the LMT and LT models but no LM models??

Don

1985 Gl1200 Limited Edition
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 08:04 PM
Senior Smart Aleck

Model: 97 GL1500 Aspencade
Garage
Post imported post

The T in the LMT is for traffic Roscoe. There shoul be like an antenna built into power cord. That's the way my 1350 LMT is anyway.

1984 Aspencade/24000 miles
1997 Aspencade/ 54500 miles

Life is a highway, I'm gonna ride it all night long,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

God Willin and the Creek Don\'t Rise!!

Darksider #1409
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Patriot Guard Rider

Honorary Rhino

GWRRA

Honorary Newfie!! I have kissed the Cod (or whatever it was), downed the Screech, and shouted "Long may your big jib draw", so I am now a member of the Royal Order of Newfoundland Screechers.

JACK WHITE
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Model: 1985 Limited Edition GL1200
Post imported post

Yeah, I got what the "T" is for and I think it's got the antenna you're talking about as the cord is doubled goinginto a rectangular dealie that's about 1/4" X 1/2" X 2" long. A single cord, 6" long,comes out the other end and ends in a plug for the unit...

Don

1985 Gl1200 Limited Edition
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 09:47 PM

Model: GL1500 SE
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Jerryk959
Post imported post

There should be a model and serial number on the box and the unit. Double check the unit matches the numbers on the box. It may have been switched. The traffic option should also show up in one of the menus.

Jerry
N5DTR
1984 GL1200A
1994 GL1500A (Gone to a better home)
2004 Harley Sportster 1200 Custom (Wifes Bike)
2000 GL1500SE 25th Anniversery Edition (Pearl Coronado Blue)

Some days it\'s not even worth chewing through the restraints...

"We ride and never worry \'bout the fall...guess that\'s just the cowboy in us all." -Tim McGraw

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 12:52 PM
Anti-Guru

Model: '06 GL1800
Post imported post

IIRC Nuvi 2555's don't come with just the LM designation --- they do have LT as an option. So My thinking is if it say LM then you're looking at an LMT unit, unless this is a Walmart-specific one...
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 06:54 AM

Model: GL-1500
Post imported post

I've been watching these many threads about GPS units, and have a lot of questions about them...My son James was given a Tom Tom by his inlaws at Christmas, and he could program in an address here in Houston, then go straight there, no problem...But heres the kicker....We programed it from his home address to the 62 motel in Eureka Springs....Yeah buddy!!! After programing it to drive up US 59 instead of I-45, it gave directions perfectly!!!!!....Even when we stopped for fuel etc, it gave directons back onto the freeway...Then it pulled a stunt that we couldn't get it to reset..At Texarkana it said to make this jog into OK , we took a right on I-30 thats when it went nuts???

Tried to reset it several times with no sucess..My cell phone GPS did work and we used it for the remainder of our trip, OK I did miss Hwy 71 in DeQueen, drove into OK about eight miles, all my fault...Even on the return trip it wouldn't reset wouldn't take directions from Eureka Springs to Houston???...So I'm thinking that some of these GPS units aren't what they are cracked up to be, and as far as the best, easiest, or user friendly GPS units... I'm still in the dark???...So what GPS meets that critera of being the easiest, and more user friendly????

THE NATION WHICH FORGETS ITS DEFENDERS WILL ITSELF BE FORGOTTEN

1982 GL-1100 Goldwing Interstate...Black Beauty
1994 GL-1500 Goldwing Aspencade...401K....

Honorary member Wild Rhinos

I have kissed the Cod, downed the Screech, and shouted "Long may your big jib draw!" I am now a member of the Royal Order of Newfoundland Screechers
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Miscellaneous Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page