Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Still a winger at heart.

Model: Sure wish I could ride...
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to UbarW
Post imported post

I have two vehicles that have nasty belt squeal. All the belts are newish.

I put a bit of water based valve grinding compound on the belt and the pulleys. Run it and it takes the glaze off the belts, pulleys, and when its dry, it just flings off.

No more squeal.

Neat...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Proud Member of the Patriot Guard Riders-Id: 79170

Panel 16W - Line 33

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 05:26 PM

Year: 1985
Model: 1985 GL1200 LTD
Garage
Post imported post

That's pretty cool, I was always told to use some bee's wax, but I don't have any of that laying around... now grinding compound, that I have... don't ask

1985 LTD.... 121,000 miles and counting

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." _ Ben Franklin

"Oops, that wasn't suppose to happen" _ Kevin (me)
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 06:32 PM
Disfunctional Nimatode

Post imported post

A touch of bar soap works good too!

Don't want a deal with alot of flibiddy-flab or mumbo-jumbo...........

2003 GL1800 Illusion Blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 07:17 PM
GERIATRIC MEMBER

Model: Neighbours 1800
Post imported post

[align=center][/align]
[align=center][/align]
[align=center]So does WD40.......[/align]

"Redwing"

"The Rider Of The Fastest Colour"
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Still a winger at heart.

Model: Sure wish I could ride...
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to UbarW
Post imported post

not sure if I like the idea of wd on the belts and such... you sure redwing?

Proud Member of the Patriot Guard Riders-Id: 79170

Panel 16W - Line 33

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 08:56 AM

Model: GL-1500
Post imported post

At one time I had this LONG list of things that WD-40 could be and had been used on, and I believe spaying it on squeking belts was one of its uses????...Seems that these "snake belts" get dried out and get slick, a small shot of WD-40 "limbers" them up some....Of course theres always take a wrench, tighten that belt up and give it a shot of "Belt Dressing"....My Jeep was going through belts like crazy , until I finally broke down bouight the high dollar belt....No more El Cheapo belts...

Now here's something scarry!!!!...Last year my neighbor and I were talking, my Jeep was running, then all of the sudden it was like "POW" and the engine died????...Looked under the hood that belt had broken, and it was wrapped around the lower pulley...No problem!!! WRONG!!!!...That belt went behind that lower pulley and actually went inside the crank seal!!!...I had to pull the radiator, sheilds, lower pulley and timing cover to get all of the pieces out!!!!..Good Thing???..I noticed that the timing chain tenisioner was broken, and the timing chain was loose...That El Cheapo belt cost me almost $200.00 when it was over,two week of using the wifes car to get to work, and lets not talk about the cuts scraps and band aids I wore for weeks after....So check them belts every so often as to not so much the top side, but the grooved side for cracks, if it has cracks in it, theres your first sign to change it out!!!!!

THE NATION WHICH FORGETS ITS DEFENDERS WILL ITSELF BE FORGOTTEN

1982 GL-1100 Goldwing Interstate...Black Beauty
1994 GL-1500 Goldwing Aspencade...401K....

Honorary member Wild Rhinos

I have kissed the Cod, downed the Screech, and shouted "Long may your big jib draw!" I am now a member of the Royal Order of Newfoundland Screechers
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 09:32 AM
Senior Mem & Story Teller

Year: 2010
Make: honda
Model: 2010 GL 1800 comfort (buried after fire)
Post imported post

We used to use corn starch on belts on farm equipment to make the belts stop slipping due to becoming slick.

Life is a collection of stories we old people tell and hope a few will listen and carry them into the future.

There is a story to everything we have, everyone we have met and everything we have done or we will do or dream about doing.

We sometimes ride to forget, but hopefully we never forget to ride.

Illinois Patriot Guard

Honda SL 175
Honda XL 350
Honda CB 750 X 2
Kawasaki 250
Honda GL 1200 Interstate
Honda GL 1800 (my last and one of the last made in the USA)
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 10:06 AM
FM

Model: 91-I
Garage
Post imported post

I use 100 - 120 grit sandpaper on the glazes pulleys. Not deep heavy marks, just enough to give a little TOOTH so the belt has something to grab to.
IF you're not inclined to skuff the pulleys then use that paper on the belts to remove the glaze.

Motor off, of course.
Drag the paper from center to outside. That's 90 degrees to the direction of the belt.

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 05:22 PM
GERIATRIC MEMBER

Model: Neighbours 1800
Post imported post

UBarW wrote:
Quote:
[align=center]
Yeah my neighbour uses WD40 on almost everything.... I see that cowboy redbaronfrom Texas agrees, so it must be ok UBarW.....[/align]

"Redwing"

"The Rider Of The Fastest Colour"
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 05:38 PM
FM

Model: 91-I
Garage
Post imported post

Redwing wrote:
Quote:
UBarW wrote:
Quote:
[align=center]Yeah my neighbour uses WD40 on almost everything.... I see that cowboy redbaronfrom Texas agrees, so it must be ok UBarW.....
[/align]

I never knew WD40 actually dried out to a slightly tacky-sticky mess until I used it on my car locks. A couple weeks later those locks got harder to turn. Being the main door to get into I had to disassembled the drivers door lock ONLY to find WD40 gummed up the locks pins.

GOOD STUFF WD40... when & where you know how to use it.

Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Miscellaneous Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page