Google Earth - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Model: 1997 se
Post imported post

I just got on Google Earth, never used it before. I zoomed in on the picture of a lake I want to go fishing at. It was dry (or looked dry).

How old is the picture, or better yet how how often is the pic of that lake taken. A family member said there is a free, not oft updated version that I have and a one you pay for.

How does this work, it's pretty neat.

Do better computers bring the picture in clearer as you get closer or is it the monitor.

What's a good google earth for dummies site to get just the bare bones knowledge if there is one.

Al
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 03:12 PM

Model: '07 GL1800
Post imported post

The age of the pictures all depends. Generally they are 6-10 years old. The new and up to date stuff they are going to want money for. The satellites are expensive. If there is a Google Earth pay site I'm not aware if it. There are two big companies that sell satellite imagery, GeoEye, and DigitalGlobe. Never bought anything so I couldn't tell you how much it costs. Both companies do share photos in to public domain during major events. i.e. Japanese and Sri Lanka tsunami's, Joplin Tornado, Egyptian protests and such. If you go to the links and select their gallery or imagery links you should find quite a few great pics. (Good way to waste a few hours if you're on the clock.)

Getting back to 'free.' As I said the normal Google earth/maps are older. When I look at my house in Google Earth it still shows the mobile home. (I was trailer trash.) But if I go to a site like Redfin it shows the house built in 2009. (Now I'm just trash.) So you should be able to work your way around a site like that to check out changes in getting to your fishing holes. Or perhaps others may know of sites that have current imagery for free. HTH
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 04:43 PM

Model: GL-1500
Post imported post

Well I downloaded Google Earth, looked up my home address I can tell you without any doubt this picture is about one year old, Spring time Pecan trees just starting to bud out...But looking at my youngest sons address, his landlord lived there then....

THE NATION WHICH FORGETS ITS DEFENDERS WILL ITSELF BE FORGOTTEN

1982 GL-1100 Goldwing Interstate...Black Beauty
1994 GL-1500 Goldwing Aspencade...401K....

Honorary member Wild Rhinos

I have kissed the Cod, downed the Screech, and shouted "Long may your big jib draw!" I am now a member of the Royal Order of Newfoundland Screechers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 05:06 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Post imported post

I have used Google Maps and Google Earth since their inception.

The mapping is pretty much the same throughout the industry, but what you will become aware of with more use of mapping is that the metro areas are updated frequently.

The rural areas might get a new upgrade in 5 years or 10 years.

Resolution is your first good indicator of how recent the map date is that you are looking at. If you can get down to 50 feet resolution it is a very recent photo. Very likely to have been taken by overflying aircraft.

If you can't get below 500 feet or more, then it is an older satellite photo.

In Google Earth, when you get used to the features it has, each map shows the date of that image. I can't remember if you have to turn that feature on/off with a setting or if it is native to the application. But the way I am using it, each map I look at has a date when it was taken.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Post imported post

John, google maps and google earth have two totally different pics as far as resolution. Google earth is much better. I did see the dates now in the corner when the pics were taken.

Guess I got to ride to the lake up close and personal the day before I get a crew of guys to ride there to fish....Another program that has woefully let me down.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 07:52 PM
ɹoᴉuǝS ɯoʇsnƆ

Year: 1995
Make: Honda
Model: 1500SE
Garage
Post imported post

At the top of Google Earth, in the tool bar, there is a thing that looks like a clock.

Click on that and you can slide to the different photos of the area at different times the photos were taken.

Current:
\'94 GL1500 SE w/ Friendship III sidecar

Past:
\'76 BMW R90/6 {26 years!}
\'82 Yamaha 650 Special
\'91 Suzuki 650 Savage {2 of these}
\'82 Suzuki GL650
\'85 Honda 1200 Aspencade
\'98 HD 1200 Custom Sportster
\'03 Yamaha XVS 650
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-22-2012, 01:38 AM

Year: 1985
Model: 1985 GL1200 LTD
Garage
Post imported post

What is this google earth thing you all speak of? Seriously, I've heard of it but have no clue what it is. I just use google maps. The picture they had of my house for the longest time was about 5-6 years old. A few months back they updtated it to only about 1-2 years old (I can tell by which of my cars is visible ). Of course, the street view pick is still the same, and going on 3 or 4 years now.

1985 LTD.... 121,000 miles and counting

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." _ Ben Franklin

"Oops, that wasn't suppose to happen" _ Kevin (me)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-22-2012, 07:22 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Post imported post

Chewman,

That is really neat. I never really looked at that tool bar. Sorta looks like some CAD symbols.

I had to find someonesplace in a apartment/condo setup, I never would have been able to weave thru all these look alike buildings and found his place without it. It'd the only use I ever found for it.

Black, just search GoogleEarth and download it.

Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Miscellaneous Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page