1998 Chevy Lumina error code - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012, 04:00 AM Thread Starter

Year: 94SE & 93SE w/sidecar
Make: Honda
Model: 2 SEs
1998 Chevy Lumina error code

I am trying to get this car started after a year or so of sitting idle. I got error codes of "P0107" and "P0122". The first means MAP/BORO circuit low input, second one Throttle Position Sensor A circuit low input. Question is where do I go from here? Could these be mice teeth related?

"The simplest toy, one which even the youngest child can operate, is called a grandparent." Author unknown
"Friends don't let friends change V-6s" I said that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012, 05:46 AM

Garage
Yes. Check the easy stuff first. Mice love to chew on insulation and wire. Follow the wires to make sure nothing is chewed thru. These sensors are usually two wire circuits and if you lose one it won't get the proper signal.

Paul
CE1 Navy Seabees/RET
1981 to 2002
ASE Mechanic

1985 Goldwing Aspencade-114,000 miles - Best bike ever
Previous Bikes:
1977 Kawasaki KZ400 - My cost me nothin\' bike
1978 Suzuki GSXr750 - Craziest bike *wicked fast
1980 Kawasaki GPZ400 - Funnest bike
1975 Honda CB360T - 1st bike
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012, 09:38 AM

Model: '07 GL1800
I wouldn't think these things are bad from just sitting. A corroded connection maybe but the parts should not go bad. Also they shouldn't stop the car from running. MAP is manifold air pressure. A gasoline engine creates a vacuum. With the engine not running it is at zero and when running it will go to a negative. TPS is just that, the computer want's to where the gas pedal is. Is is in an idle position or is it asking for more power/acceleration? I think if you just go through the basics, air-fuel-fire, you'll get it running. I'd start with air follow the air intake and make sure there are no obstructions and that the throttle body is opening. Then fuel. When you turn the key on are you hearing the fuel pump build pressure? When you pull a plug can you smell fuel? When you crank it over is that plug firing? If it does fire up and run but runs crappy keep it going for a while. It will take it a little time for the computer to relearn everything. (If the battery has been dead awhile the computer loses it's memory. I'd try to get the fuel out and get some fresh stuff in. I'm sure you've read all the E-10 posts here and elsewhere. I wouldn't put any additives in the new fuel till it's running and drivable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012, 12:27 PM
GERIATRIC MEMBER

Model: Neighbours 1800

Post this over on the Tech Forum it will be seen by all our Tech experts

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Redwing"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The Rider Of The Fastest Colour"
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012, 06:37 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwing View Post

Post this over on the Tech Forum it will be seen by all our Tech experts
Then it would get moved back here, the tech forum is for goldwings only.

I agree with seabee, check for chewed wiring.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 04:24 AM Thread Starter

Here's what I've done. Charged the batt then jumped it for extra boost and gave it a short blast of starter fluid...no start not even a pop. I know this motor is on it's last leg thanks to the infamous GM V-6 intake gasket failures and the stepdaughter being to lazy to check the oil. The car is from Florida so it's still in good shape chassis/body wise. It might be a good car for the stepson to start driving with but it may need a used motor.
I got jumped on the GW board for posting a toyota question so that's why I posted under miscellaneous boards. Probably won't be seen by as many techies but I am going by board rules....Tia, Rick

"The simplest toy, one which even the youngest child can operate, is called a grandparent." Author unknown
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 08:11 AM
GERIATRIC MEMBER

Model: Neighbours 1800
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveO430 View Post
Then it would get moved back here, the tech forum is for goldwings only.

Who told you that????..... Thats news to me...

"Redwing"

"The Rider Of The Fastest Colour"
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 11:40 AM

Year: 1985
Model: 1985 GL1200 LTD
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwing View Post

Who told you that????..... Thats news to me...
Yeah, happens every time

Have you checked the connections on the throttle body? Have you checked to see if the throttle blade is closing all the way? Have you replaced the intake gaskets? Last, have you run a compression test yet?

If it's got good compression, you still have some good miles out of it as long you take care of the intake gaskets. At this point, you have two specific failure points, so I would start at the MAP and TPS and check them as well as everything attached to them, then start following the harness back until you find the problem. Sounds to me like a relatively simple fix. Even IF both sensors are bad and you opt for new instead of used, it's cheaper than a used motor.

1985 LTD.... 121,000 miles and counting

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." _ Ben Franklin

"Oops, that wasn't suppose to happen" _ Kevin (me)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 04:09 AM Thread Starter

This car has been little more than a PIMA since day one. First thing I do with electrical problems is unplug then replug all available connectors with a corrosion check thrown in for good measure. What I need is what to check for after the OBDII codes are read. Volts, ohms, watts, high/low blood sugar. Without buying a factory electrical manual is there a website or someone that can give me a clue as to how to trouble shoot these codes and narrow down my search time? Rick.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 06:44 AM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
You can purchase a PDF factory manual here for very reasonable cost.

I got one for my Dodge diesel truck for ~ $10.00

http://www.tradebit.com/filesharing....evrolet+lumina

~ John

Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Miscellaneous Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page