When gas was cheap & the service supreme - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 06:40 AM Thread Starter

Model: 97' SE, Two Tone Red --> 124,024 km as of November 2015
When gas was cheap & the service supreme

http://hipspics.freewebspace.com/gas/gas.html

Avatar Photo was taken in the Crowsnest Pass between Alberta and British Columbia on Highway 3.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 08:54 AM

Model: GL-1500
When gas was cheap????...Man just think how much you could get for those old cars setting in and around those stations...WOW!!!!...I've owned and drove a bunch of them cars...Thanks for the memories...

BTW..The last station I seen was a "Crown" station..After Crown sold all of their stations, the refinery here in Pasadena, Texas kept producing gasoline and sold it to independants stations, I think it's still producing but not sure if the name has changed???

25 and 26 cent gas and FULL service????..What happened to that???

THE NATION WHICH FORGETS ITS DEFENDERS WILL ITSELF BE FORGOTTEN

1982 GL-1100 Goldwing Interstate...Black Beauty
1994 GL-1500 Goldwing Aspencade...401K....

Honorary member Wild Rhinos

I have kissed the Cod, downed the Screech, and shouted "Long may your big jib draw!" I am now a member of the Royal Order of Newfoundland Screechers
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 09:44 AM

What happened to the 25 cent gas and full service? The government stopped subsidizing the gas companies. They had to make money on their own.
So the price went up. Then they started looking for other ways to cut costs. So the full service went away.
That wasn't enough so the mechanics were next to go.
Then you had to pay for air and radiator water.
Then they added the 'convenience' store.
Then..............
Well, I think you get the idea.

Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes. - James Tiberius Kirk

Good health is merely the slowest rate at which you will still die. - Anon.

Don't worry about old age. It doesn't last very long. - Anon.

Common sense doesn't seem to be all that common anymore. - Me (an adaptation of Voltaire's quote)

Why do today what you can put off till tomorrow. - The Procrastinators Code

PHD - taking your BS to a higher level
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 10:21 AM
Senior Mem & Story Teller

Year: 2010
Make: honda
Model: 2010 GL 1800 comfort (buried after fire)
TNX for the memories. The lowest I remember gasoline ever getting to was $.159 in a gas war. Remember those? Some stations had nice changeable signs to put out the price of their gasoline. My dad had two sandwich boards that he alternated being on the little dirt strip between the driveway entrances and the sidewalk. When the price would change he would simply lay a templet he had and scribe a line around it and paint white letters on the Texaco Green paint on the board. When the price would change he would simply pull the one board, paint it green and wait till the price changed again while the board he had just painted displayed the price. Some times the boards would be layers of wet paint on top of layers of other wet paint.

One time he layed his templet on the board so the 3 was backwards. He was in such a hurry that he did not catch his mistake until the first customer stopped in to tell him his 3 was backwards. We sold more gasoline that day than normal. The Standard oil station guy up the street even stopped in and told Dad about his mistake. Dad just told him that many of his customers were doing the same thing.

Those were the days that the gas pumps had small meters that read the total amount of gasoline gone thru the pumps. You would go out and "Read" the pumps when you opened in the morning and again when you closed for the night. You had a little door on the side of the pump that you opened, reached inside and pulled a string to uncover the meters. We lived in an apartment over the station for years and it was not long after we took over the station that Dad saw the Standard Oil guy walking down the street and reading our pumps. Locks got installed on those little doors real quick.

You had to pay for your gasoline delivery when it was delivered. Texaco extracted a .03 per gallon for your lease. The guy that actually owned the building got a pecentage of that from Texaco for their lease. You were expected to buy at least 2,000 gallons per delivery. So when money was short Dad would have the Marathon distributer who was located on the street behind the station come by and drop 400 gallons in the tank. Everytime he did that he would simply give the building owner a few gallons of gas or a lube and wash job.

We always checked the oil and water in cars that came in the drive way. Cars burned or leaked oil profusely back then. The profit made on a quart of oil was more than on 15 gallons of gasoline. Tires were air pressure checked and if low you suggested they needed a tire repair. You also looked at the tire tread for wear. If you saw wear on the inside of the tread you suggested that their kingpins needed checking. You also reached behind the tire and felt if the tie rod ends had grease on them. If not you looked at the lube tag on the door post. You also did that while you whisk broomed the front floors during the gasoline fill up.

Now there was a great growing up experience for a young man. Many of the women customers would not get out of the car while you swept it out. So you got quite the view sometime. The same with washing the windows. Many were always adjusting something up under their skirts which provided a view of a lot of leg and sometimes a little more. Seems it was some type of thrill to excite a teenage boy who's excitement indicator needle would immediately spring into action. But then at that age a gentle breeze would do that. Remember those days? Sitting in church seeing Sally or Mary Jane all dressed up would have the same effect, just before you had to stand up to sing or pray.....

Life is a collection of stories we old people tell and hope a few will listen and carry them into the future.

There is a story to everything we have, everyone we have met and everything we have done or we will do or dream about doing.

We sometimes ride to forget, but hopefully we never forget to ride.

Illinois Patriot Guard

Honda SL 175
Honda XL 350
Honda CB 750 X 2
Kawasaki 250
Honda GL 1200 Interstate
Honda GL 1800 (my last and one of the last made in the USA)
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 10:56 AM

Model: 1988 GL 1500, 2012 GL1800, 1977 GL1000 2012 KLR 650
There is no self serve in NJ or OR. The state does not think you can pump your own gas. It does give jobs, but you still do not get any "service" like the good old days. I pulled up to a pump in OR on the bike started to pump it myself. The guy working there just about went nuts. He said he could get a ticket for letting me pump the gas. The law has changed, now people with bikes can pump it themself.

Thanks for the link. I have old gas pump globes and some signs and loved seeing those old photos.

Dan
AMA Life
2012 GL 1800 Level 3
1988 GL 1500
1977 GL 1000
2012 KLR 650
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 12:48 PM
Still Learning

Model: 2008 GL1800 Level 4
Garage
Anyone notice what they were pushing at this station in the thirties?
http://hipspics.freewebspace.com/gas/gas15.jpg

Stu
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

John 14:6 Psalm 118:19-29
CMA Wings of Eagles-Escondido, Patriot Guard Ryder
+2008 Cabernet Red ABS/Airbag bought 6/2013 @16,000
+1983 ASPENCADE Barn find @36,000 to be sold
+1976 CB750K6 @25,000 was Dad's
Previous bikes
-1999 GL1500 ASPENCADE Red Sold barn find restored
-1999 GL1500 SE(@57k)(totaled by cagger @105,000) Feb 2013
-76 CB750K Red(new) sold @ 45k
-75 CB750K Blue(new) 9,000 mi Before cousin totaled it.
74 CB450 Burnt Orange(new) 9,000 miles sold
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 12:49 PM
Still Learning

Model: 2008 GL1800 Level 4
Garage
Ethanol!

Stu
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

John 14:6 Psalm 118:19-29
CMA Wings of Eagles-Escondido, Patriot Guard Ryder
+2008 Cabernet Red ABS/Airbag bought 6/2013 @16,000
+1983 ASPENCADE Barn find @36,000 to be sold
+1976 CB750K6 @25,000 was Dad's
Previous bikes
-1999 GL1500 ASPENCADE Red Sold barn find restored
-1999 GL1500 SE(@57k)(totaled by cagger @105,000) Feb 2013
-76 CB750K Red(new) sold @ 45k
-75 CB750K Blue(new) 9,000 mi Before cousin totaled it.
74 CB450 Burnt Orange(new) 9,000 miles sold
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 01:22 PM

Model: 2006 1800
In my youth around here now and then they'd have gas wars.. Gas would get down 19 cents @ gal and they still gave stamps you could redem for glasses, pots and pans, stuff like that.........

Back to riding after a 30 yr lay off.. Started with a 86 Magna 750 on to a 02 Shadow 1100,99 Magna 750,91 ST1100, finaly a 93 Wing.. and now an 06 1800 Loven Life...
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 02:35 PM

Model: GL-1500
My Dad owned and operated a Humble station for a few years, we got into a huge "Gas War" here in Houston and surrounding areas..At one time gas got down to 9.9 cents per gallon, but payroll went on as usual, so Dad threw in a Free car wash with a fill up, we surived and stayed open while some just closed their doors till gas prces got back to the normal prices...Or just operated their stations the family, mom and their kids..

My first day as a "front man" was nearly my last day,!!!!!..My mom had taken a couple of Dads old uniforms, cut them down to my size, I even had "The Service hat". yup I was ready!!!..I will NEVER forget my first customer, he ws the town tight wad, never got a fill up, his daughter washed his Jeep Wagoneer, and he would buy "bulk oil" to change his own oil...We did grease it about once a year, until he tried to blame "worn out" front end parts on us..But that day he pulled in said "Give me Five of the regular"...OK I put in Five Dollars worth, he went ballistic when I said Five dollars..He jumped out of that Jeep went to cussing me, the other guys stepped in stopped him from grabbing me..He claimed he only wanted Five Gallons...Dad let him pay for the Five Gallons, the difference came out of my first paycheck...Never forgot to ask after that "Will that be Dollars or Gallons"??....

The minister of the local big church's daughter was the one that got me into lots of hot water with her dad and mine!!!!...I was wiping the windows, she did something, I thought our tire man was standing behind me.. Nope it was her dad, when I made the stupid comment about what she "forgot" to put on...I never did see her at the station after that, but all she did was give me "that grin", when I asked her at school why she did that???

One more thing about those pictures...Quite a few of them had "Bulk Oil" racks, at 5 to 9 cents a bottle, who cared if you old jalopy burned oil???..Whe it took more for oil than it did for gas, that's when you either bought another car, or rebuilt your engines.......

THE NATION WHICH FORGETS ITS DEFENDERS WILL ITSELF BE FORGOTTEN

1982 GL-1100 Goldwing Interstate...Black Beauty
1994 GL-1500 Goldwing Aspencade...401K....

Honorary member Wild Rhinos

I have kissed the Cod, downed the Screech, and shouted "Long may your big jib draw!" I am now a member of the Royal Order of Newfoundland Screechers
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Miscellaneous Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page