Just got home from South Dakota - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Model: 1999 GL1500A 84 GL1200A/82 GL1100I/79 GL1000
Garage
Just got home from South Dakota

I left for South Dakota on the 7th of June, and got back home today. It was a great trip. I've got about 900 photos so far, and have more to get. I'll post some when I get them sorted.

We traveled 700 miles the first day to Ogallalah, NE, stayed in a motel that night, then traveled the other 300 miles to Custer, SD to the Wheel's West Campground on Hwy 16A just outside of Custer. We explored Custer State Park and Mount Rushmore the first day there. The next day we worked on one of the bikes, finally putting it in the shop on Monday. We got it out on Tue and went to Deadwood, SD. We cruised around a bit, spent the night in a campground South of there(not recommended), visited Sturgis and the Full Throttle Saloon, and headed back to Custer. We went back to the Wheels West(great place, good people, and a good cafe). We then spent Thur cruising around Custer some more seeing stuff we didn't see earlier. The needles road is quite a ride. Stunning views! Friday we headed back going through the Badlands on the way out. That's some rough country! It definitely earns the name badlands. We rode down to southern NE that day, then on to Salina, KS on Saturday. Today, we rode on it from Salina. We rode less than 200 miles on interstate coming back. We were real lucky dodging storms and rain. We didn't get rained on at all until we were getting into Salina yesterday, and again just north of Wichita today. We didn't hit enough rain to get damp either time. We are going to try to make another ride somewhere(maybe Custer again) next year. My 82 ran perfectly the whole trip and averaged well over 40mpg after we got there. I pulled a trailer for one of the others going up and averaged about 35mpg pulling the trailer. I just wish my speedometer had done as well as the rest of the bike. I put a Hercolor speedometer on it 1673 miles before we left. It went haywire on the trip and recorded over 10,000 miles in the around 3000 mile trip. I should be getting a replacement soon.

Larry
99 Aspencade Totaled 6/14/18(Deer)
84 Aspencade
79 GL1000 with VW carb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 09:33 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Glad you made it home safe and sound.

That was a great trip, hope everyone enjoyed it.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 09:34 PM

Year: 75,83I,86SEi,93A,94SE,03ABS
Model: 94SE 209000 miles
Sounds like you had a trip .

Mike
NASSIR 1
NASSIR 6
NASSIR 7
NASSIR 8
NASR 10 Good times!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 05:18 AM

Model: 97' SE, Two Tone Red --> 124,024 km as of November 2015

Sounds great. We were planning a trip to SD this July but "stuff" got in the way. Maybe next year.

Avatar Photo was taken in the Crowsnest Pass between Alberta and British Columbia on Highway 3.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 08:11 AM

Model: 1981 1100
Garage
Sounds like a great time, we hope to be there in the middle of August and I can't wait.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Miscellaneous Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page