Pipeline or Train - Page 2 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

1Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Model: 97' SE, Two Tone Red --> 124,024 km as of November 2015

In 2003, there were over 2.3 million miles of pipelines in the U.S. carrying natural gas, and hazardous liquids (chiefly petroleum and refined petroleum products, as well as chemicals and hydrogen).

http://www.theodora.com/pipelines/un...elines_map.jpg

Avatar Photo was taken in the Crowsnest Pass between Alberta and British Columbia on Highway 3.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 10:25 PM

Model: 2006 1800
I'd surly take my odds on a pipeline over truck and trains

Back to riding after a 30 yr lay off.. Started with a 86 Magna 750 on to a 02 Shadow 1100,99 Magna 750,91 ST1100, finaly a 93 Wing.. and now an 06 1800 Loven Life...
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 10:33 PM
Magic Moderator

Model: No more Wings, Gold or Silver
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodman View Post
I'd surly take my odds on a pipeline over truck and trains
Exactly. How many times have we seen in the news of a train derailment and a hazardous liquid spilled? A tanker truck over turning and the liquid spilled?
Good welders can make it possible for a perfect seal of the pipe joints.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Retired trike builder.
I dislike Spam, too much sodium.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 07:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by trike lady View Post
Exactly. How many times have we seen in the news of a train derailment and a hazardous liquid spilled? A tanker truck over turning and the liquid spilled?

That was my point in my OP. I worked for a RR for 38 years, I know a bit about derailments . . . . . .

Avatar Photo was taken in the Crowsnest Pass between Alberta and British Columbia on Highway 3.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trike lady View Post
The pipe line joints aren't hand welded anymore.All the high priced welders do now is set up a machine that does the welding.

Fatwing Chris
Darkside #1602
Gone Double Dark with a BT45
If I\'d have known it would last this long I would have taken better care of it.
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 06:37 PM

Model: 1995 Gl1500se
Pipelines and railroads DO NOT deliver goods to the customer. No gas stations are fed by pipelines. The railroad has a terrible on time rating. If you want something delivered to the customer or your local gas station you get it there by truck. There will always be accidents due to human error or mechanical failure no matter the method of delivery, but trucks deliver the goods everybody uses on a day to day basis. Most large truck crashes are caused by 4 wheelers.

I drive a gasoline tanker on the interstate on a daily basis for over 15 years now with 21+ years of over all truck driving experience and have not had a crash or roll over. No loss of product to the environment.

I'm sorry for the rant.

“Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.”

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1995 Honda Goldwing GL1500se
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 06:45 PM

Model: 2006 1800
either way the oil is going to move across the country

Back to riding after a 30 yr lay off.. Started with a 86 Magna 750 on to a 02 Shadow 1100,99 Magna 750,91 ST1100, finaly a 93 Wing.. and now an 06 1800 Loven Life...
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 06:46 PM

Year: 1987
Model: 1987 gl1200 aspencade
if its in politics its more complicated than you think.

left says its not environmentally friendly and the right says it will give americans jobs. both are supposedly bs claims.

1987 goldwing aspencade
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 10:18 PM

Model: 1995 GL1500 Aspencade, 1985 GL1200 Aspencade, 1983 GL1100 Standard with Vetter Windjammer fairing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainMidnight85 View Post
Pipelines will leak. Imagine a underground pressurized leak over a period of years under self-inspection and reporting...
1000 gallon surface spill is nothing..

Absurd to evacuate for a 1K gal. crude spill in the middle of no(real)where.

Who has the biggest vested interest in not having oil leaks? I know! The people who own the dam oil that's being moved!

I'm pretty sure that over the past 100+ years of oil exploration and transport, the industry has developed methods of monitoring pipeline pressure and/or input/output volumes to specifically watch for leaks.

Obama's blocking of the pipeline is purely and simply a pay-off to his buddy Warren Buffet, whose BNSF railroad (a much more environmentally hazardous way to move oil, plus much less efficient than pipeline) would lose a lot of revenue out of the Bakken Basin in western North Dakota.

I share this video with lots of self-described "environmentalists." Carlin was hardly a conservative, but he really disliked bullsh*t! Contains some salty language.

post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

The train involved in the Lac-Mégantic rail disaster was carrying Bakken oil from North Dakota. We now know it is a lot more volatile than advertised by the shippers.

Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Miscellaneous Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page