Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 06:58 PM

Year: 1985
Make: Honda
Model: 85 Aspencade
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatwing chris View Post
The pipe line joints aren't hand welded anymore.All the high priced welders do now is set up a machine that does the welding.
You telling me my ticket isn't good any more? good job I retired
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-14-2015, 03:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky View Post
You telling me my ticket isn't good any more? good job I retired
Much of the black fire sprinkler pipe are Bot welded now.
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-14-2015, 12:43 PM

Model: 2005 1800 with Lehman Trike
Is there a reason the oil can't be refined onsite? Just seems redundant to pipe it across the country to be refined and then pipe or truck it back across the country to consumers.
OR . . . is it true that NONE of this oil will actually be used here, but is going to be shipped overseas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-14-2015, 02:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by suvcw04 View Post
Is there a reason the oil can't be refined onsite? Just seems redundant to pipe it across the country to be refined and then pipe or truck it back across the country to consumers.
OR . . . is it true that NONE of this oil will actually be used here, but is going to be shipped overseas?
Crude, as crude oil, is safer than in any refined state no matter how it's moved. Refining where it is collected would exponentially increase costs of the finished products.
...then there's the EPA and their BS.

Not much of it matters, as I see Russia making some definitive changes to the future of the American dollar controlling it.
We're about to get seriously screwed by our own people forcing it to happen.
I'm collecting Ethanol for a reason. I'm gonna need it. Ethanol, and any other waste oil I can get between now and when the SHTF.
2008 was not that long ago. We went to war to keep that American dollar in place...
The economy is about to tank again...
Like a Boy Scout; Be Prepared
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-14-2015, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Model: 97' SE, Two Tone Red --> 124,024 km as of November 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by suvcw04 View Post

A bit of both. Right now Alberta Bitumen is 25% cheaper than the offshore oil being shipped into the gulf coast refineries. If it had access to tidewater the price would go up, so it is a bit chicken and egg stuff.

I don't know the percentage of oil imported by the US from Saudi and other countries in the war zone, but going to war to keep that supply open is always on the back burner, in my opinion.

CaptainMidnight85 likes this.

Avatar Photo was taken in the Crowsnest Pass between Alberta and British Columbia on Highway 3.
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-14-2015, 04:51 PM

Year: 1997
Model: Aspencade 1500
Garage
Wow! I bet John Rockefeller had this same conversation back in the 30's

Only a biker knows why a dog puts his head out of a window of a moving vehicle.
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-14-2015, 07:53 PM

Year: 2006
Model: GL1800P
As Hodgy would attest to, defects are allowed on railroad trackage. Missing/broken bolts, spikes, etc. have an acceptance criteria by what type defects and per linear distance.

Anybody can jump a motorcycle. The trouble begins when you try to land it.
Evel Knievel
Never tail gated a cattle truck.
Arne and Olga Hoff
2006 GL1800P, 15K miles.
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 09:17 PM

Model: Goldwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodman View Post
How many leaks has the Alaska pipeline had
Incidents

Reported oil spills[154] [show]Year No. of spills Amount spilled (bbl)
Wikinews has related news: Oil spill in Alaska closes 800 miles of pipeline

The massive length and remoteness of the pipeline make it more or less impossible to secure

The pipeline has at times been damaged due to sabotage, human error, maintenance failures, and natural disasters. By law, Alyeska is required to report significant oil spills to regulatory authorities.[155] The Exxon Valdez oil spill is the best-known accident involving Alaska oil, but it did not involve the pipeline itself.[156] Following the spill, Alyeska created a rapid response force that is paid for by the oil companies,[157] including ExxonMobil, which was found liable for the spill.[158]
An explosion on July 8, 1977, Pump Station No. 8, killed one worker, injured five others, and destroyed the pump station. A US House of Representatives Committee later announced the cause was workers not following the proper procedures, causing crude oil to flow into a pump under repair at the time.[159] Since the startup of the Alaska pipeline on June 20, 1977, to August 15, 1977, seven incidents and accidents have caused the pipeline to be shut down periodically. The NTSB investigated the system, and made recommendations.[160][161]
The largest oil spill involving the main pipeline took place on February 15, 1978, when an unknown individual blew a 1-inch (2.54-centimeter) hole in it at Steele Creek, just east of Fairbanks.[162] Approximately 16,000 barrels (2,500 m3) of oil leaked out of the hole before the pipeline was shut down.[154] After more than 21 hours, it was restarted.[163]
The steel pipe is resistant to gunshots and has resisted them on several occasions, but on October 4, 2001, a drunken gunman named Daniel Carson Lewis shot a hole into a weld near Livengood, causing the second-largest mainline oil spill in pipeline history.[164] Approximately 6,144 barrels (976.8 m3) leaked from the pipeline; 4,238 barrels (673.8 m3) were recovered and reinjected into the pipeline.[165] Nearly 2 acres (8,100 m2) of tundra were soiled and were removed in the cleanup.[166] The pipeline was repaired and was restarted more than 60 hours later.[167] Lewis was found guilty in December 2002 of criminal mischief, assault, drunken driving, oil pollution, and misconduct. He was sentenced to 16 years in jail and ordered to repay the $17 million cleanup costs.[168]
The pipeline was built to withstand earthquakes, forest fires, and other natural disasters. The 2002 Denali earthquake damaged some of the pipeline sliders designed to absorb similar quakes,[169] and it caused the pipeline to shut down for more than 66 hours as a precaution.[167] In 2004, wildfires overran portions of the pipeline, but it was not damaged and did not shut down.[170][171]
In May 2010, as much as several thousands of barrels were spilled from a pump station near Fort Greely during a scheduled shutdown. A relief valve control circuit failed during a test of the fire control system, and oil poured into a tank and overflowed onto a secondary containment area. [172]
A leak was discovered on Jan 8, 2011, in the basement of the booster pump at Pump Station 1. For more than 80 hours, pipeline flow was reduced to 5 percent of normal. An oil collection system was put in place, and full flow resumed until the pipeline was again shut down while a bypass was installed to avoid the leaking section.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Miscellaneous Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page