Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Thumbs down Memberships to yada yada yada

I got a renewal form in the mail today from AARP,
got to looking at it and thought "what for?"

does not refer to my current membership number, just wants money...

have not done anything with that one, considering just letting it go, and saying 'good riddance'

this kicked off a sore spot I have had with "services" for a long time, they send out multiple renewal requests, no identify to what for.... I have ended up with multiple cards for the "same service" in the past, different expiration dates, etc....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

well, I moved on to Good Sam Club, which for me, I have 3 accounts with them.....

today, I just got off the phone with them and asked for Clarification of what each of these accounts is for, why all the duplication?

turns out that Good Sam Club, for most people is a total waste of money.
none of their services do I need, I don't do camping period, their Gas Station rewards program is for a chain that is not even in Oklahoma. the offer a "discount on car rentals"... well lawdy dah, I have a National Car Rental membership already, and it costs me nothing per year.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
they have a "Travel Assist" program and that one I have not used yet, it is for Medical Assistance, help with getting a family member back home if you are in a hospital, etc... get your car back home....

I'm debating if that is needed for me....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I have a Good Sam Roadside Assistance membership!

this one I have used several times, once 3 times in a single trip for blown out tires on our 1977 Avion TT while moving from Arizona to Oklahoma.
but, that trailer has not moved once since it was parked.

it was used a few months ago when my daughter's cousin locked her keys in her car.... they came right out, got her going again... no charge....
that alone paid for the fee...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

so, I'm done with the review of what I will renew, and it is going to save me $119 a year by deleting one of the accounts.

I will use that towards my SPOT membership next year when it runs out.
SPOT is great, I use it on almost every trip that the bike gets started up.

at least with SPOT my location can be found, and if necessary, I can call for 911 help with a single push of the button, even if my Cellphone does not have service.

There is a lot to be said for that. I also have their optional "Helicopter advanced Emergency Services" which gets the bike home and me to an ER "right now"

everything we do now has ramifications.... some of them too expensive to buy, some of them worthwhile.

just had to rant about the 100s of renewal requests that I have been receiving in the mails..... I am sending back requests to a lot of them to delete my address.

On others, I sign into their website, update my email address to a brand new "throw away" email address, and then I delete that new email address...

this little campaign has helped to reduce the amount of junk in my Inbox.

some of it, I can't mark as SPAM, because I have a valid account for some of their services..... irksome it is.

is AAA worth having?

sometimes, it is useful to have something that qualifies for a hotel discount.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 04:08 PM

Model: 1500 & 1800
Garage
I too dropped AARP a couple years ago when I kept track and was getting an annual renewal notice every 5 months. However I still have 2 old expired cards that hotel clerks and rental car people have seen and given me the discount for having it. They never asked if I was a member so I let them give me the discount...... Get some use of the membership overage fees I have paid over the years.

2012 Gl1800 Trike w/Hannigan Kit. 16000
2001 GL1800 ........ 73000 Miles
1989 GL1500 ...... 133000 miles and climbing

Darksider #551 - Austone Taxi Tire / Yokohama
Honorary Rhino.......

Honorary Newfie!! I have kissed the Cod, downed the Screech, and shouted "Long may your big jib draw!" so I am now a member of the Royal Order of Newfoundland Screechers.

Life is Hard.......... It's even Harder if your Stupid.......... Don't ask me how I know.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Yeah, I am going to do the same, they don't look at the card, most just ask if you are a member....

if they ask, just pull it out for the logo to show up, and be done with it.

I can't think what AAA would do for me, that Good Sam hasn't already covered...

My car insurance also has a limited travel assist program of some kind, I just never bothered to look into what it will and won't do.

~ John

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 05:13 PM
Just one of the guys

Model: '94 1500 SE with Tri-wing Trike kit
Garage
If you look at AARP you will see it is a very liberal organization, politically. When I saw their anti-gun stance I decided they will never get a single dollar from me.

Doug

Home Security System designed by Bill Ruger

'94 Bermuda Green Pearl SE With Tri-Wing Trike conversion

The more I try to keep my Trike clean, the less I like Chrome.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 05:20 PM

Model: 08 gl1800/sidecar
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougW View Post
If you look at AARP you will see it is a very liberal organization, politically. When I saw their anti-gun stance I decided they will never get a single dollar from me.

+1 very liberal
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougW View Post

ah, now that is why I had decided to forgo ever giving them another buck....

tnx, for that tidbit....

I will just mark the ballot Cancelled because of your stupid Anti-Gun laws and "to hell with you" and let them buy that postage stamp.

http://www.americanrifleman.org/arti...ant-your-guns/

~ John

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 05:26 PM

Year: 75,83I,86SEi,93A,94SE,03ABS
Model: 94SE 209000 miles
AARP... well i cant get political so I got nutin to say

Mike
NASSIR 1
NASSIR 6
NASSIR 7
NASSIR 8
NASR 10 Good times!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 06:30 PM
Magic Moderator

Model: No more Wings, Gold or Silver
Garage
I get pestered with AARP junk all the time and toss it, don't want anything to do with them I am looking into http://amac.us/ the voice of Americans over 50. Will keep I.M.B.B.A. membership as a technician.

Retired trike builder.
I dislike Spam, too much sodium.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 06:42 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trike lady View Post
I get pestered with AARP junk all the time and toss it, don't want anything to do with them I am looking into http://amac.us/ the voice of Americans over 50. Will keep I.M.B.B.A. membership as a technician.
I am an amac member, can't say it has done anything for me but I haven't looked into the benefits either.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 09:20 AM

Model: GL1500SE
All these things are forms of insurances as are extended warranties. You pay a modest amount up front to possibly avoid a big expense later.

If you bought every one of these you'd go broke.

Len
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Miscellaneous Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page