Light bulbs in the house - Page 3 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016, 08:45 AM
Junior Grue

Model: 1984 Interstate "Canadian"
I don't know about the US but where I live in Canada the first 600 kwhs are 8c per kwh, anything over that is 12c per kwh.

Advise given here is free and comes with no warranty "Caveat emptor"

Ken.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016, 09:30 AM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by scons View Post
Sale of incandescent bulbs was banned a few years back in Oz for normal fittings, though I still see them around for floodlights, candle lights and special stuff. Standard power is 240 volt as , except for W A, the state grids are interconnected.

The bayonet style fittings (like 1157) were the standard, but with the cooler led and cfl types, the screw fittings are becoming more common. My house has a mix of both, meaning if something blows, I never have one of the right fitting spare, but heaps of the other.
Power costs in Queensland are 28c per kwh. How does that compare with the US rates? My bill was $100 per month before I installed solar which halved that cost.
Mine is about $0.12 per KW when you add in the extra charges & taxes, $.07 before all that.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016, 10:30 AM

Year: many years, two different continents.
Model: 2035 GL3500 Intercontinental
Garage
I believe 90% of the homes i saw around Adelaide had solar panels, and you would always see tv commercials about a package deal if i think, 6 panels or so plus the inverter.

Here in Alaska most people go straight to deep cycle batteries, and then invert up, or split off and use 12v dc for in house led lights. And often combine a wind generator.

But most who again who go this way are off the grid, no powerlines near them.

Thats my goal, get completely off the grid, like way early this morning at about 1:30 am, i had just got home from an evening at the Wasilla Bingo Mania, won $600, but wasn't in the house 5 minutes and we had a MAJOR earthquake!

It was about 200 miles south of me but was 7.1, felt like a 6.8, lasted about 30 seconds, but i didn't lose power, many did, some homes destroyed, 20 families evacuated due to ruptured gas lines, a road destroyed. But all looks good here.

So....a valid argument to not just go led but go led on a dedicated low voltage wiring in the house, same as an rv, just use rv light fixtures and deep cycle batteries and a battery tender. We all know how to wire 12 volt leds by now. Make our own yard spotlights.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016, 10:33 AM

Model: 97' SE, Two Tone Red --> 124,024 km as of November 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Bergen View Post
I don't know about the US but where I live in Canada the first 600 kwhs are 8c per kwh, anything over that is 12c per kwh.

I have not checked mine but two years ago with all of the fees and levies they have on the bill divided by actual consumption it worked out to 23c per KW.

In a Northern climate such as ours it makes no sense to ban incandescent bulbs when you are heating the house anyway.

Avatar Photo was taken in the Crowsnest Pass between Alberta and British Columbia on Highway 3.
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016, 04:00 PM

Year: 1989
Make: Honda
Model: 1989 GL1500K
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgy View Post
I have not checked mine but two years ago with all of the fees and levies they have on the bill divided by actual consumption it worked out to 23c per KW.

In a Northern climate such as ours it makes no sense to ban incandescent bulbs when you are heating the house anyway.

My main problem with Edison fittings is that the solder base of the bulbs flattens and loses contact, requiring adjustment to the guts of the fitting. I've assumed this was a heat thing. On the other hand, both types get stuck, a problem resolved by rubbing dry soap on the sides of the lamp base, a trick given to me by my electrician grandfather many years ago. That's saved a few incidences of cut hand when the globe shatters in your hand under stress.

Bob
1989 GL1500

I love a sunburnt country, A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges, Of droughts and flooding rains.
I love her far horizons, I love her jewel-sea,
Her beauty and her terror, The wide brown land for me!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dorothea MacKellar
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016, 04:09 PM

Model: 97' SE, Two Tone Red --> 124,024 km as of November 2015
Quote:
My main problem with Edison fittings is that the solder base of the bulbs flattens and loses contact, requiring adjustment to the guts of the fitting. I've assumed this was a heat thing. On the other hand, both types get stuck, a problem resolved by rubbing dry soap on the sides of the lamp base, a trick given to me by my electrician grandfather many years ago. That's saved a few incidences of cut hand when the globe shatters in your hand under stress.

I assume that Edison fittings are E26/E27 screw in base. I spray WD-40 on all of those bulbs every time I install a new one, that works for me.

Avatar Photo was taken in the Crowsnest Pass between Alberta and British Columbia on Highway 3.
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
The most recent bills for Utilities for me:

natural gas: 69.19 for our water heater and Central Heat furnace.

Electricity: 120.15 the HVAC air handler motor runs 24/7 at 8 amps/120 VAC
........ we run the air handler motor 24/7 to get rid of cold spots in the house.

1 fridge, 1 freezer, 3 TVs, 3 PCs
most of the house is now CFL or LED ( these just this year as needed )

AT&T ADSL + DTV: 143.48

life ain't cheap..... I just don't know how folks on pure Social Security checks can survive..... if it weren't for my pension check, we would be living in a tent.

~ John

post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 06:54 PM

Year: 1989
Model: 1989 GL1500K
Garage
Interesting comparisons. Ours seems cheaper, but probably not the volume of energy is used here on the Tropic of Capricorn. the air con for heat or cool wouldnt run more than 10 times a year, and then for no more than 8 hours. Gas for hot water and cooking maybe $45 a month on average, phone +adsl about $92 pm, 2x mobile phones prepaid $140 per year. I had to google "air handler". Seems that is what we use our ceiling fans for.

Seems you're having adventures with the snow at the moment. Maybe next winter we'll get to New Zealand or Tasmania for our first ever look at that stuff.

Bob
1989 GL1500

I love a sunburnt country, A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges, Of droughts and flooding rains.
I love her far horizons, I love her jewel-sea,
Her beauty and her terror, The wide brown land for me!

Dorothea MacKellar
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Quote:
Interesting comparisons. Ours seems cheaper, but probably not the volume of energy is used here on the Tropic of Capricorn. the air con for heat or cool wouldn't run more than 10 times a year, and then for no more than 8 hours. Gas for hot water and cooking maybe $45 a month on average, phone + adsl about $92 pm, 2x mobile phones prepaid $140 per year. I had to google "air handler". Seems that is what we use our ceiling fans for.

Seems you're having adventures with the snow at the moment. Maybe next winter we'll get to New Zealand or Tasmania for our first ever look at that stuff.

here, our humidity index is in the 50% or higher bracket most of the summer months...

The thermostat is moved from 'heat' to 'cool' usually in mid April, and it stays there until mid November.... and the a/c compressor can be heard cycling ON all day long, with longer waits at night after sundown.

It usually runs for about 8 minutes and is off for about 15-20 minutes.

My ADSL used to be separate from DTV, but when AT&T bought out DTV, the whole ball of wax for "entertainment" is now on one bill... and they consider internet as entertainment..... most of the world would disagree with that thought..... I do all of my business via the internet, utilities, banking, hospital billings, etc....

~ John

Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Miscellaneous Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page