A Plea for help - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2016, 06:59 AM Thread Starter
Voice in the wilderness

Model: A Few
A Plea for help

A Begging Letter. 
I have a dilemma, and it is wrecking my head at the moment.
Last year I bought a 1976 GL1000LTD. I bought it from a Canadian who had decided to retire and move to Florida where he had a house.
He had 2 bikes, but one had to go, so he decided to sell the LTD. I agreed to buy it from him.
I was planning to go to Edgefield SC for Nassir 8 in September, so I got him to drop the bike off there on his way down south last July.
It came with all the bits to put it back original, So when Nassir 8 was all done, I made a crate and loaded it up.
I set about getting it shipped back to Ireland and got a good price to ship it from Atlanta, from a company that had an online shipping calculator,
so I accepted the offer from them. I got notified by the shipping company when I was back in Ireland that they could not do It,
so I searched for an alternative shipper.

I then got a quote from, and engaged a firm called Schumacher to ship the crate.
They quoted me $1495 to do it, So I had the crate and all the paperwork delivered to their facility in Savannah, Georgia.
I also sent them the full payment by International Bank Transfer. This was last October 2015.
The crate sat in Savannah for months, I got some periodic emails from the shippers sales representative,
basically saying that shipping was slow from Savannah, and they were basically waiting for some other merchandise
to come into Savannah for Destination Ireland to be sent groupage.
He offered me an exclusive container for an additional $500 but I declined the offer and told him I was in no hurry with shipping.
Early this year he sent me a few emails saying it would be much better to ship the crate from New Jersey,
and he gave me a quote of $325 to have the crate brought there. I eventually agreed.

There then emerged a paperwork problem which has gone on for the last 4-5 months,
this is due to the fact that the bike has a Canadian title and was not formally imported into the United States.
They now finally tell me that they cannot ship the bike. They furthermore state that they will refund be only $500
the rest they will keep for trucking and storage charges. My problem basically is,
I need to have the crate collected from the Shippers New Jersey warehouse before the 16th of June which is less than 2 weeks.
What to do next I simply don't know.

The bike is a non runner, carburettors are off and stripped, and the clutch is burned out.
There is also clutch residue in the oil intake filter as the oil pressure light will not go out if you start the bike.
I am basically posting this to see if any of you have any ideas as to what I can do.
At this point I have no idea how I can collect the crate, nor any idea where I can bring the crate to for storage
to give me time to figure out what to do next.
I had thought that maybe the best thing is to take it back to Canada and try shipping from there.
This may mean having to decrate it and get it back up and running and maybe send the loose parts in a seperate shipment.
I am prepared to travel to the US and Canada to sort this out unless I can find someone to do it for me.

Do any of you have any ideas?
I am not looking for a free ride, I will pay my way on this but at this point I simply do not know what to do.
I will post this on several forums that I frequent, I am not trying to be a smart ass, just trying to get a problem solved.

I am hoping someone can help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2016, 07:17 AM

Year: 2008
Make: Honda
Model: GL 1800
I would try to help you as its only 40 min from where your stuff is Newark-Elizabeth.Unfortunately Im in Fl now till the June 25. After that Ill be just 2-3 days in NJ preparing for my long trip.

I make sense all the time. The problem is you only listen intermittently

Follow me on the spot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2016, 12:57 PM

Model: 1995 Interstate
How big is the crate? Is it at least semi-weatherproof? i have a large lot behind my business in Ky, but no inside storage

1995GL1500 Interstate w/Champion Sidecar
1993 GL1500 I
1988 Vulcan 800A
1986 Yamaha Venture
N4RWM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2016, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Voice in the wilderness

The crate is built on 2 standard US Pallets

The bike was then rolled on and strapped down

The crate was then built up around the bike

And a lid put on the top. Note the celebrity in the background...

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2016, 04:51 PM
Junior Grue

Model: 1984 Interstate "Canadian"
It's probably hard to do from overseas but you had a contract with the shipper. As he failed to uphold his end of the contract he owes you full restitution of your payment.
Of course that doesn't get you your bike.

Advise given here is free and comes with no warranty "Caveat emptor"

Ken.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2016, 04:56 PM

Model: 1995 Interstate
As I said, I have a large lot behind my business, easily sit this on blocks off the ground. Maybe buy a tarp to cover it. If all else falls through, this is a free storage option for you. I would never charge you a nickel to unload it and store it back there. It is a locked secure , away from view from street lot

1995GL1500 Interstate w/Champion Sidecar
1993 GL1500 I
1988 Vulcan 800A
1986 Yamaha Venture
N4RWM

Last edited by Bob Myers; 06-04-2016 at 10:03 PM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2016, 07:02 PM

Model: 2010 GL 1800
Years ago I did a restoration on a 1966 Chevelle ( I was a Michigan resident at the time ) My neighbor that I purchased the car from had storage in Canada for the car. Some how there was an issue with the amount of time it was stored. So it was
declared through customs and my understanding was the car could then be bought and sold transferred forever with out any snags with customs . ( Like dual residency ) I think perhaps your best bet now that it is in the US of A would be to title it up
as a US owned vehicle and remove the issue at the port. When doing so you can pay a few extra dollars to have the title in a quicker time frame. Dragging it back to Canada may not be the answer. If a member put it in his name or you could sign him as your agent for this. The whole mess could be resolved in less than an hour and fax new papers to your shipper. I would try this approach before any others.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2016, 07:39 PM
life is good

Year: 1991
Make: gl 1500 interstate
Model: 91 interstate
my post is a nothing. but somebody is hopefully close by and will help most on here will. i would but i am Okla.i hope this all works out for you!

life is good.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 01:26 AM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
Seems like all you need to do is get the bike back into Canada.

If someone rented a U-Haul truck and took the bike up to Montreal, it's a fairly short ride. Surely there will be shipping facilities in Montreal or Quebec City that can get the crate on a boat.

There should be no problem at the border as long as you can take the top off the crate and let customs look at the contents. And of course, show them a Canadian title.

Once delivered, your agent simply drops the truck off at a rental location and boards a plane back to his home ground.

I'd do it for you, but surely you can find someone closer.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 02:49 AM Thread Starter
Voice in the wilderness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Bergen View Post
It's probably hard to do from overseas but you had a contract with the shipper. As he failed to uphold his end of the contract he owes you full restitution of your payment.
Of course that doesn't get you your bike.
It is my intention to seek compensation after I get the crate from the shipper. I have no idea how to go about it right now.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Miscellaneous Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page