LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Permethrin

Seems to be very similar to the name of what I bought, all of them have "methrin" in their names.

it says 0.5 to 1.0 oz per gallon.

well, for weed control, I have found that you must double the recommended doses or the weeds don't die like they should.

So, I will be mixing it at 2.0 oz/gallon of spray and I don't want to see any more crawly critters here at all.

there is a honey bee hive set up south of me a bit, I hope I don't get any of those... but, we don't have any flowers for them to be drawn to anyway... we rarely see bees...

lots of the other critters, mosquitos for sure... I plan to spray the whole inside yard....

today, out in the shop, while rummaging to see what is is old boxes, I found a new bag of insectide, a 40 lb bag!!! I think I will use that on the grassy areas and if it don't rain in a day or two, take the water hose out and sprinkle it down.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 02:52 PM

Year: 2005
Make: GoldWing
Model: GL1800
Not sure if this is helpful at all.....

Every three months during the warmer months I spread a whole bag of Bugs be Gone or similar stuff over the back yard. It seems to work as our dogs have had no fleas or ticks and I don't see any signs of ants.

Tim
CMA Faith Riders Chapter 732

Don't steal, the government hates competition.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I have used that once before and wondered if it would be adequate...
the downside is the quantity/price required to cover our fenced in yard.

I bought a $38/quart of concentrate that will make up 96 gallons of spray. If I do it right, it will take about 3 gallons for each application. I agree that 3 months is probably the duty cycle of any product for this kind of thing.

so, that works out at about $1 buck for each application. That Pest control guy charged me $100 bux. No profit in that business, is there?

and, if it rains hard, it is all washed away. but, having the product on hand, makes it easy to respray if the WxMan gives me the "go ahead"

~ John

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1w1t1m View Post
Not sure if this is helpful at all.....

Every three months during the warmer months I spread a whole bag of Bugs be Gone or similar stuff over the back yard. It seems to work as our dogs have had no fleas or ticks and I don't see any signs of ants.

when I read the list of insects that stuff that I bought controls, I got the distinct idea that there isn't a special one for each breed of critter. if it kills one, it kills the others too.

so, your lack of ants just follows in with the scheme of things.

Reading on down the page of the brands, there are a lot of names, and it seems they all have the same general control insecticide...

~ John

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 07:40 PM

Model: 2005 1800 with Lehman Trike
Google "diatomaceous earth". Once a bug of ANY kind crawls through that, they DIE. I bought a box of it (around 10 or 15 lbs) many years ago when I lived in Floriduh. Still have most of it left.
I bought the kind that you can even EAT. They claim it will kill worms in humans and animals?!?!?! No thanks.
It's cheap and safe, just DO NOT get it in your eyes, and try to avoid breathing it. There are no poisons involved.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 08:57 PM

Model: 2010 gl1800 Level 1
I've been a beekeeper for over 10 years. I'll let you in on my little secret on how to get rid of wasps, yellowjackets, carpenter bees and honey bees. It's not expensive AND it's on the shelf at your local grocery store!

The secret here is that bugs like the above mentioned do not have noses like you and I. These little buggers breathe along the sides of their thorax or abdomen. There's a line of holes down each side. So the easiest way to get rid of these wee beasties is to DROWN them. And the easiest way to do that is with liquid dishwashing soap. Now you can do like my wife does and buy the good stuff (Dawn) or you can buy the cheap stuff (generic), it really doesn't matter. Take your 1 gallon garden sprayer (we all have one of those) and pour 1 cup of liquid soap into it and fill with water. Then proceed to spray the cr*p out of the nest or offending individual.

The solution lowers the surface tension of the water and the water flows much much easier and drowns the wee beasties. It also really screws with their ability to dive bomb you. BUT a word of caution...once you start this process you will certainly in no uncertain terms "stir up a hornets nest". So if you have a small nest I would say attack with fervor during the daylight. If the nest is 3-4 stories high (or a common yellowjacket nest like we have here in Oklahoma), wait until night time and douse the thing until it's completely soaked. They won't dry off and fly away, they will die almost instantly. And since your doing it at night they won't be able to see very clearly. Also the soap contains no harsh chemicals that will poison the area.

And then there's this way: http://www.wikihow.com/Kill-Ants

I learned this from an older beekeeper who used it when he would remove honey bees from a house. He'd always leave a honey trap behind for the ones that weren't there when he cleaned the hive out and come back the next day and spray them down.

Gary

2010 Metallic Black with Crucible Orange trim
Wild Rhino Oklahoma Chapter

A day, a month, or a year it's all subjective when your riding!
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
"diatomaceous earth"
we have a 40 lb bag of that, about 2/3rds gone right now.
it has been raining and makes it not so good....
but, now that it is dry, we will spread that out also.

detergent and water and a sprayer ??
hmmmm, I have high pressure sprayer that I can open up the nozzle and get a lower pressure, and it has a soap tank on it for washing the driveway..... and a 100 ft hose to feed it

I can really soak things down good with that. .....

~ John

post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 11:36 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
I have learned that Formula 409 kills spiders instantly. Much faster than commercially sold bug poison. When I encounter any arachnid in the kitchen or bathroom, that's my go to bug spray. It's always under the counter and doesn't spread a poison around the dishes, toothbrushes and such.
AZgl1800 and 52wingnut like this.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 06:38 AM Thread Starter

Garage
409?

hmm, never gave that one a thought.
my garage is covered in cob webs

~ John

post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 08:24 AM

Year: 1997
Model: Aspencade 1500
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post
Permethrin

Seems to be very similar to the name of what I bought, all of them have "methrin" in their names.

it says 0.5 to 1.0 oz per gallon.

well, for weed control, I have found that you must double the recommended doses or the weeds don't die like they should.

So, I will be mixing it at 2.0 oz/gallon of spray and I don't want to see any more crawly critters here at all.

there is a honey bee hive set up south of me a bit, I hope I don't get any of those... but, we don't have any flowers for them to be drawn to anyway... we rarely see bees...

lots of the other critters, mosquitos for sure... I plan to spray the whole inside yard....

today, out in the shop, while rummaging to see what is is old boxes, I found a new bag of insectide, a 40 lb bag!!! I think I will use that on the grassy areas and if it don't rain in a day or two, take the water hose out and sprinkle it down.

I learned something the other day. when spraying for Mosquitos, you need to spray the trees and bushes with leaves on them. That is where they hang out. I started doing this and dramatically reduced those blood suckers in my yard.
AZgl1800 likes this.

Only a biker knows why a dog puts his head out of a window of a moving vehicle.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Miscellaneous Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page