LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
The Pest Control scam business

we have been having a LOT of problems with ants invading our home.
all over the place.

the OTC sprays work for 30 minutes....

so, I called a couple of guys and had one of them come over.
as luck would have it, had to take Mardonna to the doctor and then he came.

He talked with our daughter, she didn't want the spray in the house because of our allergies and the dogs/cat.

so, he walked around the house in about 2 minutes and left....
she walked out immediately and nothing is wet, no residual spray period...

Tried to call him back, and he won't answer his phone.

I will never call another scam artist again.... bunch of crooks.

I know how far spray can go, I put down 2-4d every year for weeds, and that is a very light spray, even so, you can see it wet the grass and ground.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 11:41 PM

Year: 1997 SE
About 15 years ago, I had a 2 flat building and both tenants that bred Clydesdale roaches. Huge hairylooking brown and they'd cover a wall if you left a light off for a few minutes. They probably drank bad beer starting with the letter B and pulled a wagon, hence I called them Clydesdale roaches. Real bad and disgusting. Yeah the roaches were real bad too.

Anyway paying exterminators 100 bucks a month was outrageous for the little rent that I got from both tenants. But I had to do it, because like you said, the otc stuff was not effective for very long periods, and while the otc roach killer did seem to thin them out a little it was just for a week or so. So I signed up with an exterminator that I understood to be trustworthy.

Seemed like the exterminator only did corners and under the sink after the first month (the first spraying was very thorough). The guy came back every month, and charged 50 bucks a visit per unit but he was out of the building in 15 minutes. So that's 100 bucks for 15 minutes. Did that for over a year and then I stopped. Bugs came back within 2 months of stopping the service.

I was going to do the service again, but I happened across a tiny exterminator supply store in a bad part of Chicago. I walked in and there were bars on the windows and door, probably what jail would look like from the inside. Anyway, I bought some concentrate roach killer from the gentleman. Cash and carry. 35 bucks for a concentrate gallon and no tax and no receipt. He even told me the ratio to mix it. Thinking back on it, the guy probably put the money in his pocket as soon as I left. Didn't ask me for ID or license or anything. Anyway it came in a jug that had it's own measuring 'cup' molded on the side. Tilt it and fill the cup and then pour that in the spray cannister and dilute with water.
Stuff worked great, I saved quite a bit of money by doing it myself. Went through that first container in one year and sold the building. Went back to the store many years later to buy another concentrate bottle but his prices had gone up so i bought a smaller jug, but same thing: Cash and carry and no ID. I think I still have a little bit left.

If you want to really treat your property so ants don't come back for a couple years, you'd need to trench around the building a foot deep and then pour a moat of chemical/water and let it soak into the soil. That's how I treated my current house for ants and termites. Didn't have termites but had flying ants that loved to congregate at odd hours of the night in our bathroom sink. The method I did for ants might not be okay if you have pets though. I came across the ant method on youtube.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 12:12 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Well,
I got pissed and finally thought google should be able to find what I want, so I changed my search terms...

"Commercial ant control products"

and boom, up comes this company, I bought this product here.
only 1 gallon, but it should last me for a couple of years...

http://www.pestcontrolproducts.pro/i...80200&ref2=111

same damn stuff the pest guy used, but he was way too frugal, he walked by the house in 5 minutes and left.... no way in hell did he treat us fairly... I bet he didn't put down 2 quarts of spray..... which cost him almost 1/2 oz of product....

that quart will give me 96 gallons at 1 oz/gallon

Once that stuff arrives, I am going to treat the whole damn yard, not just the perimeter of the house.....

read the label on their product, it is for every kind of critter you can think of that crawls on the ground.

it is approved for use in Kitchens, hospitals, etc.....

~ John

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRAQI RAM View Post

If you want to really treat your property so ants don't come back for a couple years, you'd need to trench around the building a foot deep and then pour a moat of chemical/water and let it soak into the soil. That's how I treated my current house for ants and termites. Didn't have termites but had flying ants that loved to congregate at odd hours of the night in our bathroom sink. The method I did for ants might not be okay if you have pets though. I came across the ant method on youtube.

I read just about all of that literature, and I noted that for Termites in new construction, they want you to soak the soil at 4 ft depth really hard... and for retreatment, go down like you did and soak it again....

For right now, I am just going to flood the ground for about 18 inches around the house and let it soak in.... that should slow the critters down.

plus, I am going to spray all of the yard out to the cyclone fence....

do you see any reason that I can't use my little Ryobi high pressure sprayer? set it for low flow, put the product in the soap dispenser.... and just put down the full 1 gallon of mix with the garden hose supplying the sprayer.

~ John

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 12:45 AM

Year: 1997 SE
I've never used a high pressure sprayer for mixing other using than my electric 1750 pressure washer and mine doesn't do a good job at even mixing I've noticed. It disperses pretty slow and the jug doesn't seem to go empty often. so I don't know.

I bought a cheap pump sprayer for 20 bucks from Harbor Freight or Menards (can't remember) to kill bugs and plan on using it to treat my fence before the weather turns.

But I have used a small lawn fertilizer feeder cup that I fill with Spectracide small insect killer(buy it by the gallon, it's cheaper) and attached to a garden hose to kill mosquitos a few days before backyard gatherings though. Seems like it works for what I needed it for. I'd use that before I use my pressure washer, it's easier to use than the washer and it empties the jug pretty quick and has a control on top. I don't know how it would last for ants though, worth a shot.

You know that you can get small jugs of spectracide that have a hose attachment? That's how I got the idea to use a fertilizer feeder cup.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 01:59 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I have a 1 gallon spray tank.
I will just stick with that.

At least that gives the proper ratio and pressure/flow.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 08:46 AM

Model: 2012 Pearl White
Pick up some Boric Acid (Roach Pruf) and sprinkle it around the path that the ants use and anywhere that they can enter the house. It is basically non toxic to humans, when used as directed. The powder sticks to the ants and they then take it back to the nest.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Boric Acid (Roach Pruf)

I have that scattered all over the house, it helps, but it does not prevent new explorers finding us...

there is still a trail of them running across the front of the garage door from north to south, and then they disappear into a crack of the foundation...

when I get the stuff I ordered, going to really soak the known areas hard.... that jerk who came here, just walked around once and never stopped walking.... no way in hell can you do a good job like that. not even when spraying weeds.

~ John

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 06:20 PM

Year: 2003
Model: 2003
I use Permethrin I buy it by the quart mix 1 1/2 oz per gallon and it works wonders.
But it does not discriminate it kills spiders roachs ants etc. But also bees so I try to keep it right around the house only. It says it is pet friendly but our dogs don't lay around the outside of the house. One spray in the spring seems to last all summer. https://www.amazon.com/CONTROL-SOLUT...rds=Permethrin

Brian&Marn
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 06:59 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
I like to use a .177 caliber pellet pistol. It's more sporting, but...

...you do have to replace the sheet-rock every now and then.
AZgl1800 and bobalou like this.

Why ain't we ridin'?

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Miscellaneous Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page