Whats happening today - need some help with a homeless person - Page 3 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums
 1Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1983-traded for motorhome, 1986
Make: both honda's
Model: GL1100-traded for motorhome, GL1200 aspencade SEi
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to roadwanderer2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post
try to put your project up on as many social sites as you can.

use Facebook and search for suitable Groups in your area, or nationwide for that matter. and post up your request

one negative thing that I noticed is that GoFundMe runs all of your post together and yours is long. that and your lack of proper Capitalization hurts your post. have you tried to force GoFundMe to add proper paragraphing?

you typed everything in lowercase

i should be I
your name and Kristi's names need to have caps on the first letter.
just trying to help you, not be super critical.
I've tried that, and they told me I would have to delete the entire posting and do it over again.

Stuart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 03:40 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
leave it be, folks can get the jist of what you are saying anyway.

but, have you tried putting it up on some Facebook groups?

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post
leave it be, folks can get the jist of what you are saying anyway.

but, have you tried putting it up on some Facebook groups?
Oh trust me, I have it posted on my home page and on friend's pages and on my brother's page who lives in NY, and other pages. Believe me, I've spread the word, but its like.....people are turning the other way and not seeing it for what it needs to be seen as, a way to help one of our many homeless people to be off the streets, and it saddens me that not many people are concerned enough to want to help.

Stuart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 12:37 AM
Banned

Year: 94
Model: 1500 SE
Sometimes we are helping the ones in our neighborhood, and stupid tax time....
Yes yes i set myself up on that one..a HUGE stupid tax is levied upon me

Maybe put it in your friends and contacts heads that IF a refund is coming, a few dollars or few hundred diverted to your project is greatly appreciated!
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 07:41 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Aloha Tom, i have put on every page and site that would allow me to put it. I am very disappointed that with now 63 views it got, it only received 3 donations so far with the exception for one donation from a member of this site which he wants to remain anonymous and i'll respect his wishes.

Ya know, i hear it all the time, "something needs to be done about the homelessness in this country", but when it comes time to do it, they, (most everybody), turns and looks the other way as if your talking into thin air or upon deaf ears. im REALLY upset that this fund raising project has yet to even reach $100.00 much less the $1,000.00 goal that my wife and i have set. it looks like the wife and i will have to fund this project by ourselves, and struggle with it because we are both on fixed incomes, but thats ok, we'll do without if we have to because not only is this person a homeless veteran, he is a friend of me and my wife, and i will NOT watch a friend of ours live out on the streets or in some homeless shelter.

I've already given up my one wing, ($2,500.00) to get this motorhome, so its not like i haven't sacrificed anything to do this.

And in case anyone else is reading this, here is a direct link to our fund raiser project............https://www.gofundme.com/helping-homeless-with-shelter

Please, if anyone can donate, please do, it really is for a worthy cause.

Stuart.
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 03:40 PM
ɹoᴉuǝS ɯoʇsnƆ

Year: 1995
Make: Honda
Model: 1500SE
Garage
Stuart, let me be frank with you. You shouldn't take the "lack" of donations to YOUR cause personally. We live in a time where MANY people live from paycheck to paycheck, are on a fixed income etc. Some of us can not give to every bleeding heart we hear about even though it may be a "worthy cause"! My family's' health and welfare comes FIRST and FOREMOST! PERIOD! I'm glad you are in a position to help out your friend when in need and commend you for doing so. If I were to give even $5 to everyone I've come across that is down and out, I would need be on the receiving end of these charities as well, that's NOT going to happen! I think it is unfair of you to try to make us feel guilty because we did not donate to YOUR cause! We may have other issues that are more important to us. It may not be that we don't want to or that we don't care, it may be because we CAN'T! My bike has been down for almost three years now because I don't have the funds to get it going again but I'm not out there asking for help. I'm fortunate to be able to put some food on the table and keep my utilities going {though sometimes late}.
Again, I'm glad you can help out your friend!

Current:
\'94 GL1500 SE w/ Friendship III sidecar

Past:
\'76 BMW R90/6 {26 years!}
\'82 Yamaha 650 Special
\'91 Suzuki 650 Savage {2 of these}
\'82 Suzuki GL650
\'85 Honda 1200 Aspencade
\'98 HD 1200 Custom Sportster
\'03 Yamaha XVS 650
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Chewman, it wasn't my intention to make ANYONE feel guilty of not making donations to my fund raiser, it was a call out to the general public that i am upset with. I can understand that "family comes first" and i agree with you 110% about it, But homelessness is a growing major concern in this country for adults AND children alike. Maybe you can give, maybe you can't, thats up to you to decide. im just trying to help a friend of ours get off the streets that has no options to fall back on.

Help in this country seems to take forever to get and the red tape thats involved with it is absolutely ridiculous. Case in point, When i first applied for MY social security disability back in 1994, it took me 2 years and 3 denials, had to hire a lawyer, went thru my entire savings just to maintain my house mortgage, (which i eventually lost), and wound up living back at my parents house at the age of 42 years old and was never able to climb back up the ladder of success. Oh sure, i managed to find "odd jobs" to keep food in my belly and a bit of "chump change" in my pocket, but it was nothing like it was when i WAS working for a living. Being on SSD, i make less in a month what i used to make in 2 weeks while working for a living.

my wife and i are both on fixed incomes and also live paycheck to paycheck. money is tight for almost every family in america except for the wealthy, and even they'll cry poverty at times. if i have offended anyone in any way, i deeply apologize.

I just find it hard to believe that so many people can or do ignore a problem when its staring them right in the face. I can remember when i lived in NYC back in the late 70's and 80's, would be walking down the street, and see what we used to call bums and lowlifes, not being able to relate to what they are going thru, But now its a different story. this nation has a whopping 564,708 people that are homeless, and 2.5 million children are now homeless each year in America. This historic high represents one in every 30 children in the United States.

Now you have to admit, there is a problem in this country, so if theres something i can do to help just one of these people get off the streets, im gonna try my best to help because i know what its like, i've been there once myself, and I was hoping i could get others to join in with me knowing what im trying to do.

Again, if i offended anyone, im truly sorry.

stuart.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Off Topic Section > Miscellaneous Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page