3Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Year: 2008
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800
portable generator

I've been wanting a new generator for some time but could never seem to find one at the right price. My current generator is 2.2KW bought in 1990 to run lights and a weed eater at my hangar, back when I flew ultralights. Good, bad, or ugly I picked up a Predator 8750 with 8750 Peak and 7000 run Watts. It has a 420cc engine and should run for 10 plus hours on a tank of gas. Harbor freight had them priced at $499.99 for their Parking Lot Sale this weekend. I checked Amazon and their price for the Predator 8750 was $1055 + $99 to ship. I did buy a wheel kit due to the weight (235 lbs). This was another Keystone cops event just getting it out of the truck and on it's wheels. I'll let you know if it runs when I get the gas and oil installed. Forgot to mention that it has a pull start plus an electric starter. Wonder where I could get a small battery .......... NO NOT MY BIKE!!!

Charlie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 03:15 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
the home depot version comes with a battery, but it sold for $900+ also and was slightly bigger at 8 kva running and 10 kva peak

I think it will run about 8 hours on a tank of fuel.

mine has the same gas in it now that I put in last summer, so guess I need to pump it out and put in fresh fuel. next time, it is going to have some Stabil added, think it only has Sea Foam for this last winter.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 03:38 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post

mine has the same gas in it now that I put in last summer, so guess I need to pump it out and put in fresh fuel. next time, it is going to have some Stabil added, think it only has Sea Foam for this last winter.
Why, I just work on the carburetor when I need the genny.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 03:52 PM

Garage
the carb should be dry and clean, I shut off the fuel petcock and let it run until the engine quit. that was recommended in the manual for intermittent use.

It has pure gas in it, just don't want it to gum up and make a mess in the tank.

~ John

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 09:22 PM
Junior Grue

Model: 1984 Interstate "Canadian"
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveO430 View Post
Why, I just work on the carburetor when I need the genny.
Finally someone that knows how to have fun.
Life can't get any better than working on a carburetor in the dark with frozen fingers.
DaveO430 and flylow like this.

Advise given here is free and comes with no warranty "Caveat emptor"

Ken.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 09:34 PM
Banned

Year: 94
Model: 1500 SE
Seafoam works well as a fuel preservative, like stabil, and provides the seafoam benefits upon starting
iirc both products say 6 months on the fuel storage and still use in the device.

Ck the generator owners manual- might want to run it for 30 minutes occasionally
Is it like the bike, leave it alone... or use it for an hour to dry out the moisture??

Been considering getting backup power, a freezer full of spoilage cost about the same as generator that will keep all the food safely cold.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 11:29 PM

Garage
so far, it has only been run 3 times.
twice to exercise it and once to provide us with power during an outage.

found out one thing though, these medium priced aux gensets are not perfect sine wave generators. I have 3 APC brand CyberPower model standby units, and not one of them will turn on with the generator providing the power.

so, that means that if I want to watch TV or use my computers during a long power outage situation, I have to remove the APC units out of the circuit and do w/o them. what a mess that is.

I called the factory to find out why they would not work, and they explained that all APC units require a Perfect Sine Wave, or they will not all the input power to be passed thru to the appliances.

as you can see in this picture, there are 5 power cords and one USB charging module hooked to this APC unit. it is a 1500 watt unit and will run my desktop for about 30 minutes before the batter goes dead. It powers every thing on my desk,monitor, PC, etc...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CyberPower.jpg (60.7 KB, 9 views)

~ John

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 06:32 AM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post
so far, it has only been run 3 times.
twice to exercise it and once to provide us with power during an outage.

found out one thing though, these medium priced aux gensets are not perfect sine wave generators. I have 3 APC brand CyberPower model standby units, and not one of them will turn on with the generator providing the power.

so, that means that if I want to watch TV or use my computers during a long power outage situation, I have to remove the APC units out of the circuit and do w/o them. what a mess that is.

I called the factory to find out why they would not work, and they explained that all APC units require a Perfect Sine Wave, or they will not all the input power to be passed thru to the appliances.

as you can see in this picture, there are 5 power cords and one USB charging module hooked to this APC unit. it is a 1500 watt unit and will run my desktop for about 30 minutes before the batter goes dead. It powers every thing on my desk,monitor, PC, etc...
Speaking of, and to throw the thread sideways, my APC ups unit is totally useless, will not run my desktop but just long enough to command it to shut down. I'm wondering if I could connect a larger external battery to it?

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

Can you use the 12V output of the generator to drive a perfect sine wave inverter? Not sure of the current needed but the generator I have is rated at 8.something amps. That's pushing 100W and more if the 12V is really 13.8 as it should be. Or....how about driving a battery charger, driving a high amp/hour battery, driving a perfect sine wave inverter, driving your TV? I can see where this is going so I think I'll just kick back on the front porch with a rum and coke, if it's summer, and inside by the fireplace if it's winter. I still have an old battery operated radio for news and music, but where did I put the batteries???

Charlie
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

I found a diagram for the generator today and boy is the 12V DC ugly. No regulation, goes from the output winding to a full wave bridge to the output connector. I think I'll just run an hour meter with the 12V and not worry about it.

Charlie
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Miscellaneous Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page