New Boots And leathers in general. - Page 2 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

6Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 07:32 PM
Banned

Year: 94
Model: 1500 SE
the directions for applying Snow Seal to leather says to warm boots by the fire or in oven to 115 F, gently warm.
That opens the pores and the leather will suck sealer- or conditioner, right in.
Buff when cool.
Repeat as needed.

I used the`by the fireplace method` to revive some old gloves and soften new leather winter gloves that had no bend
...at first, using Meguirs Leather Care.
Now they fit like..well, gloves! Not an easy trick with thick winter lining and leather.

Snow Seal will wind and waterproof your boots and gloves, but will not make them softer or help break-in.
A lotion/cream type product is best for break-in and general care

Ck out a Horse tack supply, they have the best leather cleaners and conditioners and Knowledge to get you the right stuff!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 12:32 AM Thread Starter

Year: 1984 Interstate, 82 GL1100, 79 KZ1000, 87 CR250
Make: Honda
Model: GL1200 and GL1100
Garage
I have used a good trash bag before and put it inside the boot and put hot water in the boot, to loosen them up. Finally getting these broke in been soaping them daily and even put some polish on them. Tomorrow going to grease them and set them in the son to soak in. Im going to go to boot repair guy here in town, heard he has some leather care stuff. Mink oil is good as well I've used that.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 12:07 PM
Banned

Year: 94
Model: 1500 SE
try the rubbing alcohol on cotton pad method: apply lightly to interior spots that need softening and let sit overnight
The stuff in a spray can shoe leather softener is....rubbing alcohol in spray~

If you have a really bad tight spot, the shoe repair guy has a stretcher that goes inside boot.
Placing little or big nubs on it at strategic points- apply outward/stretching pressure overnight or a few days.
Shoes return to you ready to hike in! Ready to Ride in.

A reminder to all: as we move into the riding in warm temps seasons- Cotton Socks are terrible for riding.
Specialty socks have 3 or 4 fibers mix, they vent out sweat and keep some compression on calf to combat muscle fatigue.

The anti foot-funk agent is a bonus~
Only seem expensive ($20) until you enjoy them a few times...then you're thinking about the special cooling underwear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 12:04 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
Harley riders have the best leather. That's because it's treated with atomized hot engine oil. When a drip comes off the motor, the wind catches it and turns it into a fine mist that surrounds the rider and penetrates the pores of the leather, keeping it supple and rain resistant.

Honda riders had to invent GORE-TEX.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 08:30 PM

Year: 1999
Model: 1999 GL1500 Aspencade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike...and Dennis View Post
Harley riders have the best leather. That's because it's treated with atomized hot engine oil. When a drip comes off the motor, the wind catches it and turns it into a fine mist that surrounds the rider and penetrates the pores of the leather, keeping it supple and rain resistant.

Honda riders had to invent GORE-TEX.
I am gonna get some great mileage out of this one, to the detriment of my Harley buddies.

Thanks
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 09:27 PM

Model: 93 Gl1500 / 76 Gl1000
This has come up before so I would like to give my advice based on experience to all of you that purchase new boots (Motorcycle boots or whatever) I am 73 years of age and have been wearing western boots since I was 3 years old. Not when riding because of the leather soles. (too slippery). One of the things that my father taught me was that when you try on a pair of boots...if they don't fit at the time you try them on (They will never fit). The boot sales person will tell you that you need to wear them for a while to break them in. SORRY but the boots won't be what breaks in it will be your feet. I have no opinion what so ever about your choice in boots but please believe this. If they don't fit now they won't fit later.......................
Ken Bergen likes this.

Tom

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Black 93 1500 Aspy
Yellow 76 1000
Black Cherry 04 Rune Sold

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

"You have enemies? Good. That means you have stood up for something, sometime in your life." Winston Churchill

"I've now been in 57 states? I think one left to go?" B. O.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-28-2017, 11:34 AM

Year: 1999
Model: 1999 GL1500 Aspencade
Quote:
Originally Posted by dingdong View Post
One of the things that my father taught me was that when you try on a pair of boots...if they don't fit at the time you try them on (They will never fit).
Wise words from you and your father!
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Miscellaneous Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page