10Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1985
Make: Honda
Model: 85 Aspencade
Upgrade already!

Let me say this as simply as possible: If you are still using XP, you are the end-user equivalent of an anti-vaxxer. You are a menace to society and everyone around you. You are a walking malware vector. You should be shipped out to a remote island with no internet access to fend for yourselves so you can't infect anyone else.

And, if you are an IT professional who serves in a decision-making capacity with an organization that continues to use XP or Windows Server 2003 and SQL Server 2005, you should be fired. You should never be allowed to work in the computer industry again.

You should not be allowed to touch a computer again either because you too are a menace. You are perpetuating the computer software equivalent of polio and smallpox.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/if-your...ce-to-society/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 08:57 PM
Magic Moderator

Model: No more Wings, Gold or Silver
Garage
I have only one that runs XP pro but it has games on it. I put the recent update for 5-13-2017 in it yesterday to protect it from ransomeware, like a criminal wants to hold a computer hostage over some games.
I have Windows 7 and it still works.
I'm thinking about getting a second hand Apple laptop from fleabay. Want to try one and see how good they are or a spare hard drive for the Itronix and put Linux Mint on it.
Big companies or organizations shouldn't be using outdated operating systems, too much information to put at risk. If you're playing games that's not a problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Retired trike builder.
I dislike Spam, too much sodium.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 02:40 PM

Model: 2012 Pearl White
Quote:
Originally Posted by trike lady View Post
I have only one that runs XP pro but it has games on it. I put the recent update for 5-13-2017 in it yesterday to protect it from ransomeware, like a criminal wants to hold a computer hostage over some games.
I have Windows 7 and it still works.
I'm thinking about getting a second hand Apple laptop from fleabay. Want to try one and see how good they are or a spare hard drive for the Itronix and put Linux Mint on it.
Big companies or organizations shouldn't be using outdated operating systems, too much information to put at risk. If you're playing games that's not a problem.
I agree. I'm running Win7 and do not want to upgrade to 10.
Every time Microsoft comes out with with a new operating system, a lot of the older software no longer runs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 02:46 PM

Model: 2005 1800 with Lehman Trike
Quote:
Originally Posted by cihilb View Post
Every time Microsoft comes out with with a new operating system, a lot of the older software no longer runs.
The only thing I have found that will not run on WIN10 (some versions) is Windows Live Mail.
It runs on my desktop but will not run on my laptop. I run MailClient on the laptop.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 02:59 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cihilb View Post

This is why I and others do not wish to upgrade.

It is just too damn expensive to

1. Replace the hardware
  2. Replace the software with bad results
  3. new software means old applications don't work the same, or at all.
  4. and I have no interest in spending a lot of time trying to revamp old apps into new ones... or recreating the wheel just so that I can get back to "business as usual"
I have a friend who has 3 WinXP desktops on his home WiFi network.
I was just over there yesterday installing new drivers for his brand new HP WiFi printer.

His XP computers are dead unless he is sitting in front of them and powers them up, so as far as he, and myself is concerned, there is almost zero risk of outside malware bothering him. And so far, that has been the case for him.

My personal desktop is Win7 and is online 24/7 and it has never been hit with any serious malware, and this is now the sixth year that it has been online 24/7.

I have a dedicated firewall in the AT&T ADSL modem/router.
Win7 has its' own firewall.
I have run tests several times testing for hacking attempts that can get access to my PC, and it has "so far" been totally impervious to outside attempts to get into it.

I also feel, that my web browsing habits are good enough to keep me from falling for "click bait"... at least most of the time
spiralout likes this.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 05:09 PM

Year: 1984 Interstate, 82 GL1100, 79 KZ1000, 87 CR250
Model: GL1200 and GL1100
Garage
Please pull the plug and make me WHOLE!!! I use XP.... I have 3 laptops but there using XP as well, and usually there sitting since I dont play games anymore so I dont need extra computers and Auto-players with scripts.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 07:05 PM

Year: 1985
Model: Aspencade
Garage
The company I work for spent $105,000 on a manufacturer refurbished piece of equipment (we got if for half of list price) six months ago that runs XP. The equipment was new in 2013.

The equipment manufacturer will not support running on any operating system newer than XP because of changes Microsoft made that prevents the equipment software from writing to subdirectories underneath it subdirectory in the Program Files directory.

Most businesses don't need all of the "new features" in Windows 7/8/8.1/10. Remember that to kill XP Microsoft had to give Windows 10 away for free.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 07:37 PM
Junior Grue

Model: 1984 Interstate "Canadian"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Scott View Post
The equipment manufacturer will not support running on any operating system newer than XP because of changes Microsoft made that prevents the equipment software from writing to subdirectories underneath it subdirectory in the Program Files directory.
I have to give Microsoft an A grade on that change as binaries should be the only thing allowed in "Program Files", everything else should be in user land.

However not allowing exceptions for programs written under the old policy is inexcusable.

Advise given here is free and comes with no warranty "Caveat emptor"

Ken.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 07:52 PM

Year: 1982
Model: Interstate
Garage
My strategy, Win 3.1, VisiCalc, NetScape and a 300 baud acoustical modem!

I'm safe from everyone except maybe Kevin Mitnick.

suvcw04 and spiralout like this.

Bruce

Current Bikes:
---------------------
74 CB750 K4
77 CB550 K3
82 CM250C
82 GL1100 Interstate w/ Auburn Gemini (doublewide) Sidecar

Past Bikes:
------------------
What?? SELL a bike??

------------------
Can I have a motorcycle when I get old enough?
If you take care of it.
What do you have to do?
Lots of things. You've been watching me.
Will you show me all of them?
Sure.
Is it hard?
Not if you have the right attitudes. Its having the right attitudes that's hard.

PGR since 2011
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 08:30 PM

Model: 1975 GL1000(gone) 1980 GL1100 1996 GL1500SE
Here're some words to take to heart...

Update does not equal upgrade
AZgl1800 and Ken Bergen like this.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Miscellaneous Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page