Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/)
-   Miscellaneous Forum (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/4-miscellaneous-forum/)
-   -   I'm on my way (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/4-miscellaneous-forum/650185-im-my-way.html)

trike lady 09-09-2017 06:59 PM

I'm on my way

Today I started the process of Social Security at 62, I did the application on line and it was painless. I am official retired in the governments eyes in December 2017. :surprise: I look forward to my hobby of counted cross stitch, photography :cam: and all that stuff I could never do when I had to work.:clapper:

Power Guy 09-09-2017 07:02 PM

Well hope you can enjoy your time

harveysmedlap 09-09-2017 07:18 PM

I went at 63 and haven't looked back, you earned it, congrats!

trike lady 09-09-2017 07:35 PM

Thank you. I figure at 62 I may as well enjoy life. July 2016 I suffered a stroke and then the loss of peripheral vision in my right eye my quality of life went a bit down hill. Employers wouldn't hire me and it became depressing. Now I put it all in God's hands and he seems to be pushing me in the right direction. I wanted to take a job offer from a friend, but no funds were surfacing and I had no way to get there and the funds finally arrived then Hurricane Harvey came along and that was God's final answer to me of 'No'. Hurricanes bring back not so good memories of 30 years in Florida. They always make jokes about no one goes up north to retire, I proved them wrong. :ROFL:

harveysmedlap 09-09-2017 07:43 PM

If we are patient and listen I personally believe God will answer our prayers. Not always what we want to hear though.

By the way I was thru Bellaire twice today on rt.7 and didn't see you walking on the side of the road, what gives?

trike lady 09-09-2017 07:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You'd have to come into town, I walk to Kroger's for shopping and then further into town for other things. Someone zipped by on a red Goldwing earlier today on 7, I can see the highway from the kitchen window. I live in the house in the circle.

harveysmedlap 09-09-2017 09:59 PM

There were three of us, a silver wing, a Harley Ultra, and me with the sidecar. We never get off the highway when going through there.

trike lady 09-11-2017 11:46 AM

I watch a lot of bike pass on the highway as I look out the kitchen window. For the last two days a lot of bikes and trikes have gone past the window.

suvcw04 09-11-2017 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trike lady (Post 5334601)
Thank you. I figure at 62 I may as well enjoy life. July 2016 I suffered a stroke and then the loss of peripheral vision in my right eye my quality of life went a bit down hill. Employers wouldn't hire me and it became depressing. Now I put it all in God's hands and he seems to be pushing me in the right direction. I wanted to take a job offer from a friend, but no funds were surfacing and I had no way to get there and the funds finally arrived then Hurricane Harvey came along and that was God's final answer to me of 'No'. Hurricanes bring back not so good memories of 30 years in Florida. They always make jokes about no one goes up north to retire, I proved them wrong. :ROFL:

We moved to Kissimmee in 1984. In 2004, Charley (right over the top of us), Frances, Ivan (twice) and Jeanne came to call. Boarded up from August until Thanksgiving. Retired in late2004 and came back HOME to Iowa. Harvey and Irma brought back scary memories. Give me a good blizzard any day.
So, make that at least TWO of us who have "reverse retired".

AZgl1800 09-11-2017 09:36 PM

Cyndi and I were talking about the hurricanes and where we live now.

Yes, we are in a Tornado zone, but tornados blow up one hour, and then they are gone the next.

If they missed you, your life is not put out of joint the way things are in a hurricane zone..... the eye might miss you, but those winds circling around can sure reach out and do a lot of damage over an extended period of time.... like Harvey when it stagnated around the Houston area and would not leave....

I'm 74, and have been thru a couple of tornados.... the first big one was at Shepherd AFB in Wichita Falls, TX back around 1964... that one took a swath over 11 miles long, and about a mile wide.... it totally removed all buildings on the AFB that were not made out of concrete....

the hospital disappeared right down to the concrete pad it was built on.
Luckily, we had almost an hour's warning that it was coming towards us, and the hospital was evacuated extremely fast.

I was in a classroom, concrete building again, and the students were shuttled into the center hallways away from any doors.... i was positioned where I could see to the NE thru a glass windowed door..... i witnessed straws sticking thru telephone poles, sheets of corrugated iron cutting off anything that it happened it hit edgewise.... like those telephone poles... some of them has been cut off and there was a potato chip curly edge to the top of what was left.

here in Oologah, OK.... I witnessed a tornado pass by to the north of us about 2 or 3 miles, as it went to the east..... it did a little damage to hay barns but not much else.