Tell me about Linux - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Tell me about Linux

I am going to have to get/build a new PC soon and the options for a system now is (gagging) windows 10, or Linux. Give me the ups, downs an what I need to know to use it. Is there different hardware involved etc. ?

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 06:39 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Dave,

Are you thinking of using the same desktop that you have now?

If so, I will be willing to come over and walk you throw it, or were you considering putting it on the Toshiba laptop you have so that you can "get your feet wet" while still having the Win7 PC on your desktop???

That is the method that I chose to go, leave my Desktop alone, it is on Win7 and will always be on Win7...
I will never allow it to upgrade to a different Windows OS.

I highly suggest for your own comfort, that you consider Linux Mint 18.x Cinnamon as the version to start out with. That is the version that I am using with the laptop in front of me now while typing this up.

I have been a Windows user and IT support tech since the stuff was born.... I even still have a Windows 3.0 CD in the cellophane package!!! I also have a Win7 pro CD with 5 licenses that has not been used yet.

But, the truth is that today, I am now using my Linux laptop almost exclusively for the Internet, because little by little, I have learned to use the different applications that came with Linux right out of the Download Box.

Let's talk about this, I really, honestly think, that after you get your fingers wet with Linux Mint 18.x Cinnamon desktop, that it won't be too hard for you to learn to like it....

And Ken Bergen is setting up in Vancouver laughing his ass off at this post...

I have it on a DVD, and we can sit side by side, and work with it a while, go get some lunch, work with it some more, and go get supper, and then take a ride, and then come back, sleep on it, and work on it some more...

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 06:43 PM

Garage
or, I bring a certain Suburban over and we think about that in between times?

Linux has a product called LibreOffice which is a look alike for Microsoft Office...
I can help you configure it so that the files it makes are Microsoft compatible...
that is, it outputs a " .doc " letter file, or a " .xls " spreadsheet file that can be used in Excel...

Just that little hurdle took me more weeks than I want to admit, but I did it on my own, without anyone setting next to me.....

Linux has an Image editor, and an Image viewer, took me a week of learning to use those two things all by themselves, but, right now, I am embarrassed to say, the Linux does a better job of handling images and file handling that Windows does

I can sit right here on this laptop, and I can access my Windows 7 PC via the WiFi and download, or store anything that I want from this laptop to, or from, that Win7 PC.... and the documents will open in windows and run....

Linux, will open a Windows document and convert it to LibreOffice w/o even complaining....

For me, Windows 10 is not something that I want to even mess with....
Unless the lord just happens to drop something in my lap that already has it installed...

That is not likely, so, Linux, here I went

~ John

Last edited by AZgl1800; 10-04-2017 at 11:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
mod-erator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post
Dave,

Are you thinking of using the same desktop that you have now?
No, my desktop is about like me, old and on it's last legs. That's why I'm asking. Windows is just so much BS and the more they change it the worse it gets. If windows 95 still worked I would probably still use it.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

2010 1800 pearl yellow

post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 06:52 PM
Junior Grue

Model: 1984 Interstate "Canadian"
A lot of hardware drivers have to be reverse engineered for Linux so if you steer clear of the latest and greatest/just released yesterday hardware you shouldn't run into to much trouble, of course there are no guaranties.

Advise given here is free and comes with no warranty "Caveat emptor"

Ken.
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 06:57 PM

Garage
There is another neat little program that works on any OS called NixNote, google that and download it someday.

I can show you how to use that to store all of the things that you like to keep on hand to give to folks when they ask a question.... it is super neat, as it will install on your laptop, or PC, and it can use the WiFi to transfer the info around the world.

I am using it a lot,

here is a screen image of it where I am storing info on the Suburban
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NixNote-2.jpg (75.5 KB, 7 views)

~ John

post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 07:07 PM

Garage
Dave,

I can help you with that desktop on Win7,

we can go thru it and take out the chaff, and tell it to ignore the Windows updates from now on, just like I did with mine.... it has not updated now in about a year.... and it just plugs right along, happy as a pig eating corn....

the secret is, you and I will never be downloading a lot of junk from unacceptable websites.

~ John

post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 07:55 PM
Magic Moderator

Model: No more Wings, Gold or Silver
Garage
My roommates husband has a source for Windows7 machines he has a refurbished desk top that runs 7 pro, he got it from Newegg.com for $69.00 add monitor and you're good to go.
The only way I may try Linux is to put it on a stick and then find on ebay a laptop with no OS and put it there. XP runs games and the 7 is what I use presently. I like the idea of a stand alone machine for cross stitch software but the software runs on 7.

Quote:
Not being able to boot into the bios has nothing to do with the operating system and drivers come well after the bios.
In the above could you remove the hard drive and run from a stick or disc?

Retired trike builder.
I dislike Spam, too much sodium.
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
mod-erator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post
Dave,

I can help you with that desktop on Win7,

we can go thru it and take out the chaff, and tell it to ignore the Windows updates from now on, just like I did with mine.... it has not updated now in about a year.... and it just plugs right along, happy as a pig eating corn....

the secret is, you and I will never be downloading a lot of junk from unacceptable websites.

I'm afraid the mother board is failing, not a software problem. I too have it set to ignore windows updates. If it's possible to replace the mother board with one that is still compatible with win7 I may just do that. I already have a new solid state hard drive.

2010 1800 pearl yellow

post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 10:40 PM
Average Goldwing Rider

Year: 1972, 1981, 1985
Make: CB450, GL1100, GL1200I
Model: K5, Standard, Interstate
I have a Dell Latitude D630 with 2 MB RAM and a Intel Core 2 Duo. It is running Ubuntu 16.4 Graphics version. It has a Firefox browser. The OS runs fine and is very stable. I like it because most of the websites don't write trash to the OS. They don't bother to go after it. Installation was easy. I downloaded a DVD image and created a bootable DVD on the Win7 desktop. Slide it into the Dell DVD reader, flipped it on, set the BIOS to boot from the DVD and followed the screen prompts.
There is a learning curve using a different OS. I go back to DOS V3 and have used Microsoft since. This computer does run out of steam trying to do graphics work. I can render webpage video with it. It will also do a nice job on photographs. For heavy duty work I use the desktop. I would like to get an I7 processor laptop for doing video on the road. I would consider keeping Ubuntu on the new PC, at least on a HD partition.

Jim Palmer
Current rides:
\'85 GL1200I Garage Find
\'81 GL1100 Std
\'72 CB450K5
My \'81 Restoration:

Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Miscellaneous Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page