Software for Hardheads. - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
Software for Hardheads.

I'm kind of 'puter illiterate, and need some help.

I have 4 or 5 hundred movies on DVD and tape and am trying to find a good way to catalog them on some software that will allow me to search by actor or title and maybe even by genre. Then tell me which rack or drawer to find the results.

So, it seems like it will have to be fairly sophisticated software. The problem lies in the fact that I do not have a sophisticated mind, so, said software must be very easy to use. And must be compatible with Win 7.

Anybody have a solution?

Why ain't we ridin'?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 02:29 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
being a simplistic guy, and not having done just that, a spreadsheet comes to mind.

1st column is the title,
2nd column is the Actor,
3rd is the genre

but, ACCESS is actually a better product for doing that.

but, there has to be some stuff already to go, out of the box, for that purpose

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 02:30 PM

Garage
http://www.instantfundas.com/2008/03...-managing.html

https://libra.en.softonic.com/

https://lifehacker.com/5153795/five-...taloging-tools

https://www.freewarefiles.com/category_6_201.html

~ John

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

I had no idea those things existed. However, it seems like they are created to work with a computer based hard drive full of movies. Is that correct?

I would love to store the movies on a separate drive but don't know how to record them. I do have a Passport with an extra three hundred or so on it that I got from my brother. I play it through my ROKU and it works pretty well. No way to search though, other than by title.

Mostly I'd just like to be able to go into a database and search, by title or actor, find a movie and have the software point me to the rack and shelf number.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 06:32 PM

Garage
Until you asked, I had never Looked

~ John

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 07:11 PM

Year: 1985
Model: Aspencade
Garage
Unless you are changing the number of movies you have, the simplest way to do this is type everything into an excel spreadsheet, sort the spreadsheet by movie name and print it, then sort by actor and print a second copy.

Sometimes a database is overkill.

Of course, if you only wanted to work with the movie name, the really simple way would be to sort the movies by name on the shelf. You also never have to worry about updating the database if you do this.

Spending more time on my wife's hobby than the wing.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 07:54 PM

Year: 1997
Model: Aspencade 1500
Garage
I have around that many music CD’s. I have them in racks alphabetical. Let me ask you a question. If you want to watch Star Wars, would you look up George Lucas or Star Wars?
Excel will allow you to set a simple program that will cross reference. So you should set it up any way you want. Science fiction, westerns, comedy...

Only a biker knows why a dog puts his head out of a window of a moving vehicle.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Sometimes, I just remember who played in a movie, and not the title. I have tried grouping by star, but that's a bit of a mess, too. Does The Italian Job get included with Brad Pitt, George Clooney, Charlize Theron or...who?

Also, I need a program that will separate DVDs from tapes.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 09:43 PM

Garage
I like Excel and use it for a lot of things, and here I think that it can work well for you.

Think about how you want to set the columns up, and title each column appropriately.

Excel's search function can find a single word in any cell, so under the column ACTORS, you can enter: john Wayne, Gloria lost hart, joe bltzfick

then hit Control-F and enter a single word, or full name... it will find that so fast, the results will be up before you can get your fingers off the keyboard.

When you get everything entered, sorting is a piece of cake, hit Control-A or click on the top left corner to select all rows and columns.

Choose Data/Sort and then choose the column or column Title to sort by.

I can work with you on that with TeamViewer if you like.... and that let's me see your screen.

you will want to Freeze the Title Row, so that each column's name is always visible on screen.

~ John

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 09:48 PM

Garage
My daughter is great with both programs, Excel and Access.

She just now told me, stick with the spreadsheet. Access is too hard to get it set up correctly, and unless you need to create forms, and print out reports, it is not worth the effort.

Just to find something that you entered "somewhere" in the Data Entered, Excel is vastly easier to use.

~ John

Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Miscellaneous Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page