3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 10:18 PM
Junior Grue

Model: 1984 Interstate "Canadian"
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post
it is, but on Linux Mint, the latest version is 56.0
they always lag behind months, if not years before they upgrade Firefox for some reason.

I just loaded FF 57.0 onto a Win7 ACER laptop, that only has 1.73 gB of RAM, and a 1.6 gHz processor. To say it is slow is being charitable.

But, FF is running just as fast on this laptop, as it does on my Win7 desktop PC that has 6 gB of RAM and a 3.x gHz processor.

so, just to have a web surfing laptop, the old ACER is doing a great job.
I like stability so I'm running 52.5.0 ESR (Extended Service Release).
I tried 57.0 and saw nothing great and a few regressions.

BTW: If you download the latest and greatest then extract the tar file somewhere in your /home folder you can run the binary from there and become a (crash test dummy).

Advise given here is free and comes with no warranty "Caveat emptor"

Ken.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-23-2017, 05:29 AM

Year: 2008
Make: Goldwing
Model: 2008 90,000 Miles
Updated and very fast but is not compatible with my most used add on extensions.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-23-2017, 07:28 AM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkoi View Post
Updated and very fast but is not compatible with my most used add on extensions.

I have just about removed all of the extensions in Firefox, all I am using now is AdGuard and LastPass.

I used to have 4 or 5 extensions, but AdGuard and LastPass have replaced them all.

curious as to the extensions you like, but won't work with 57.0 ??

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-23-2017, 08:23 AM

Year: 2006
Model: GL1800p
Garage
I have the latest FF and it is faster on my system. I5 with 8g of ram Win 10. My problem with it is that it forces you to use DuckDuckGo as your search engine. I have Google as my home page and it used to use Google for a search engine. Now I still have Google as my home page but when I try to search for something it uses DuckDuckGo for the search. I tried everything to get rid of it and finally took unit to Best Buy Geek squad and they tried to remove it but could not. They said it is written in the code of FF and can not be removed??? So it seems FF has hijacked my system by telling me what search engine I have to use. Just for hahas has any one else noticed this?
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-23-2017, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greek View Post
I have the latest FF and it is faster on my system. I5 with 8g of ram Win 10. My problem with it is that it forces you to use DuckDuckGo as your search engine. I have Google as my home page and it used to use Google for a search engine. Now I still have Google as my home page but when I try to search for something it uses DuckDuckGo for the search. I tried everything to get rid of it and finally took unit to Best Buy Geek squad and they tried to remove it but could not. They said it is written in the code of FF and can not be removed??? So it seems FF has hijacked my system by telling me what search engine I have to use. Just for hahas has any one else noticed this?

All you need to do is; when you start to type in the search box go down and select the search engine you prefer.

You can also go to the menu in the upper right and go to options, then simply delete any search engine you don't want.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-23-2017, 11:06 AM

Year: 2006
Model: GL1800p
Garage
Yea we tried all that here and at the Geek Squad. No matter what we do it still comes up with DudkDuckGo as the search engine. Pure crap!
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-23-2017, 11:49 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greek View Post
Yea we tried all that here and at the Geek Squad. No matter what we do it still comes up with DudkDuckGo as the search engine. Pure crap!

I am right now, using Win7 on an Acer Laptop with the new FF.

I just checked the options page and it plainly allows me to select which default browser I want it to use.

Using their default search bar, I enter a search and it immediately showed a lot of Google items that relate to that item.

Don't understand why yours is having so much trouble and not using Google.

~ John

post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-23-2017, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

When mine updated, the new default was Google, which I don't care for, so I switched it back to Yahoo and deleted the rest.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-23-2017, 12:09 PM

Garage
Just as a test, I entered my brother's name Keith Craig to see what would happen, and it brought up this link
http://dragstriplist.com/mississippi

If you do a text search for Craig, ( Control-F ) it goes straight to Riverside Dragway ( Pearl )
and shows my brother working on a racecar. There is a video of shorts from that race.

In that race, he ran agasint Don Garlits whom I met several times along with Gene Snow when I went to his races back in the '70s and '80s.

I noticed that it states that my brother is from Tulsa, OK.... strange, an error in research as he always lived in Oklahoma City... never anywhere else.

This is the youtube link to that race in 1980.
The default image of the video before you click on it shows my brother in the yellow T-shirt.
I really miss him, he left us at the age of 43 about 30 years ago.

~ John

post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-23-2017, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

I did a search for "stupid white collar redneck" and my picture came up.

Why ain't we ridin'?

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Miscellaneous Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page