LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 09:57 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Well,

I have spent a lot of hours rehashing this Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon install.
got a lot of help from the forums, one of those folks told me not too subtlety, get rid of your Signature!

ummm, I had it there to let folks know which system I am using, just like we do with our bikes, which one are you riding?? argh!! but, I needed their help, so I killed it.... don't need to be rubbing some crotchety ole coot the wrong way...

Bottom line is, the Epson Multi-function WiFi printer module is working like a champ, I can see the ink levels as it is printing. So, scratch one serious irritation.

fine tuning the desktop don't count, that is something that we all do to make our PC personal.

but, there is still one major bug a boo.... SHARING folders over the network don't work yet.

it was super easy in Mint 17.3, just right click/sharing/all+guests/Autoassign permissions
Job 1 done.

for some reason, the same exact steps appear to work in 18.3, it shows up as "shared", but it does not appear on the Network...

oh well, it is so close to being right for me, that I can get along w/o sharing until someone on the forum sees my post and takes the time to answer me. Been two days so far, with no replies.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 10:07 PM

Garage
a side note:

my daughter's laptop is now about 10 years old, running Win7 Home Premium....
it used to crash every two or three days, so, I fixed that, and locked the Windows Updates to NEVER... end of crashes.

but, it is ever so slow, even slower than the old laptop of the same age that her aunt gave to me a year ago.... that thing just can barely get out of its' own way in time to present a Time Clock....

I had to use it over Thanksgiving week because the power supply for my laptop refused to go along for the ride oh well, at least I had a way to surf the web.

Now, I have been trying to figure out what to do for her Christmas, and I just casually joked that Santa Claus might be able to stuff one in her stocking..... she giggled and said, "He don't have to wait that long"

so, I did some research, and found an Acer laptop with a 256 gB SSD "hard drive", with 8 gB of RAM, and 4 gB of Video memory on the graphics card....

hmmmm, compared that to other options available and it looks like it ought to be a screamer for the internet. and the price was very competitive at $560

She has all of her important data stored on a 256 gB SSD expando chip.... I did that for her two years ago when that laptop crashed and she lost everything...

so, in about a week, Santa is going to leave some deer dropping on her desk...
then she can just unplug that old SSD from the front of the old laptop, plug it into the new laptop, and Drive D: will be just like it always was.

gotta remember though, to set up Firefox Sync for her bookmarks....
want to make the change over as seamless as I can.

am I devious or what?

it occurred to me that when it arrives, that I will give her a flowery Christmas gift card with a string taped inside of it.... then have that string run around the house, out the front door, and hide it behind the bramble bushes...... tee hee...

ought to be a Christmas she won't forget.

~ John

post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 10:17 PM
Junior Grue

Model: 1984 Interstate "Canadian"
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post
Well,

I have spent a lot of hours rehashing this Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon install.
got a lot of help from the forums, one of those folks told me not too subtlety, get rid of your Signature!
Was this IDIOT a moderator?

Advise given here is free and comes with no warranty "Caveat emptor"

Ken.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 10:22 PM

Garage
Ken,
I don't recall at this time, but I decided to not rub his wood hasp any more than I had already.
when I get all the info I need, I will restore it back.

I saved it as a text file just for that reason.

went back and looked, he is not a moderator, but he has over 15,000 posts so he has been around a long time

Quote:

Cosmo. Level 22

by Cosmo. Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:04 pm Better remove the specs from the signature, it is the wrong place. Some users do not see the signature at all, because the content is often wrong or simply waste of screen space. System specs belong into a post, usually into the starting post.
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 10:25 PM

Garage
I pride myself in keeping my Signatures current....
so, I will rub him really good, when I have all I need.
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 10:37 PM
Junior Grue

Model: 1984 Interstate "Canadian"
Quote:
went back and looked, he is not a moderator, but he has over 15,000 posts so he has been around a long time
On another forum I posted in response to something similar
Quote:
It's want to be moderators like you that start and fuel flame wars.
That got me over twenty Likes as although he had thousands of posts most were negative just like the IDIOT you ran into.

Advise given here is free and comes with no warranty "Caveat emptor"

Ken.
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 11:04 PM

Garage
ha ha ha,
I will keep that in mind....

~ John

post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-10-2017, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1985
Model: 85 Aspencade
Quote:
um, Win10 ain't gonna live here, unless everything else is broke.

if it comes to it, I will just use my MS Win7 DVD to start from scratch, and leave it on Win7 forever.

I don't like Win10, my friend has a surf with that on it, and I just plain don't like it at all.

I got to wondering exactly what your reluctance is toward win10?

When you mentioned your friends tablet, I have not used a tablet with win 10 only my PC so I am assuming it boots directly into the windows 10 start screen with the tiles.

My PC boots directly to the desktop, the most used programs such as Chrome or Firefox, Word, Quicken and others are available to me on the taskbar, only when I

want to use a little used program do I resort to the windows start screen with the menu to the left.

More lesser used programs I need are accessed from the desktop anyway so I very seldom resort to the start screen.

My windows 10 never updates automatically, only when I decide to allow it.
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-10-2017, 09:53 PM

Garage
I don't like the way that Microsoft is trying to take over our lives,
they have taken away a lot of the options that we used to be secure,
they want your telephone number and your address when you log onto that thing.

I detest their default screen that comes up with all of that crap on tiles...
and you can't delete half of it, you can remove it from the tiles, yeah, but it is still there.
yeah, I know about Classic Shell, but even with that, it just aggravates the hell out of me.

this laptop that I am using right now on Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon which emulates Windows a lot, when I first bought it, it had Win8x

that upgraded to 8.y

and then it upgraded to Win10.....

I tried working with it for well over a month, and every time I turned around, there is another "you can't do that" POS that would come up and keep me from doing what I wanted to do.
and, for the specs this laptop has, Win10 was way too slow. Linux is running circles around Win10 on the same hardware.

But, be that as it may, I won't be going to Win10 anytime soon,
BUT, my daughter will.

her old Sony laptop is on its' last legs. I have done everything that I can to keep it running for her. Locked Win7 down to never update again about two years ago.

But, the things she needs to do is taxing it heavily and it is running as slow as a sloth.
I had to get her a 256 gB SSD external drive that stays plugs in all the time, it is Drive D: and it holds all of her data.. She knows where her important data is, because it is all under
D:/DATA

the laptop can crash, but her data won't.

so, for Christmas, she is getting a brand new Acer with SSD "drive", 8 gB of RAM, a super fast video card with its' own dedicated 4 gB of RAM. and the cpu is running at 3+ gHz.

So, I will be getting more familiar with Win10 a little bit...
but I promised myself that she would be the one to open the box,
turn it on,
and go thru the paces to "make it her own"...

I won't get involved with it unless she needs something special taken care of.

when she gets the new one up and running, she will unplug the 256 gB SSD external drive out of the Sony, and plug it into the new Acer... and continue life as she did before.

She is not a technophobe, all she wants is to be able to use Microsoft Office to run her business, and manage all of the pictures she has for that business....

I suspect she will be okay, at least I hope so.

~ John

post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-11-2017, 08:52 AM Thread Starter

Year: 1985
Model: 85 Aspencade
"I detest their default screen that comes up with all of that crap on tiles...
and you can't delete half of it, you can remove it from the tiles, yeah, but it is still there.
yeah, I know about Classic Shell, but even with that, it just aggravates the hell out of me."

I never see so called default screen, UNLESS I WANT TO

It boots to the desktop, which is like it does in win seven.

All of my mostly used programs are pinned to the taskbar and those that aren't are on the desktop

I no longer use Classic Shell as the developer has said he is discontinuing updating it in the near future and I figured I might as well bite the bullet.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Miscellaneous Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page