LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Lost Pictures in our forums

most of you already know that Photobucket is now charging a minimum of $1.35/day paid annually to allow you to see, or link to your own pictures.

we paid the price in the beginning when we gave them "Ownership of that picture" the instant that it is uploaded , it does not belong to you anymore.

We typically take a picture and upload it somewhere w/o renaming the picture on our computer before we uploaded it to a host "somewhere". so now, we have 100s of threads in our forums that are full of a huge glaring Photobuck image stating you canlt have that....

so, how long would it take for you to go through every thread you posted on for the last ten years, and try to find that one picture that you forgot to rename.

oh, here it is, it is named

2006-11-15 Sony 12345555888

real definitive huh?

I have 3 separate 1 tb hard drives of backup files, that "maybe" have a picture that I need, but they are all just randomly scattered around the on the drive, not in special folders named for a project, just a bulk folder that is creatively named "Pictures" or "Camera" as mine is.

So, it is advisable from now on that we all store our pictures at home, in a manner that we can find them again.

and on the forums, Puhleaze upload them to an Album that you have created on that forum with a name relative to the photo project. this way you can find it again w/o trying to find that one post, in a long ago forgotten thread.

by always storing the forum photos on the forum, they will always be there as long as that forum lives.

Even if all you do is upload the picture to that individual post as an Attachment, that is immensely better than depending on an outside of the forum picture host....

I will never again, use a webhost for pictures, burned once their fault, burned twice, my fault.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 04:45 PM
Junior Grue

Model: 1984 Interstate "Canadian"
For the Photobucket issue there's
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...t-fix/?src=api

There are also versions for the Chrome and Opera browsers.

Advise given here is free and comes with no warranty "Caveat emptor"

Ken.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 06:55 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
I don't understand why people want to put their pics some place other than their own computer. What is the motivation for that?

Why ain't we ridin'?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 07:19 PM
Junior Grue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike...and Dennis View Post
I don't understand why people want to put their pics some place other than their own computer. What is the motivation for that?
Try posting a picture using image tags around some file on your computer.

In the "GOOD OLD DAYS"? forums didn't have the storage to host images so sites like Photobucket popped up and they paid for the storage through advertising.

Things are changing and Photobucket and likely other similar hosts are desperately looking for sources of revenue.

Ken.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Ken is ever so right.

Lots of folks try to link to a picture on their email account. nope don't work

from their own computer: nope don't work UNLESS it is setup as a SERVER/WORKSTATION
not many of us can afford that.

and whatever you do from home, it has to be ON 24/7. My Desktop is, all of my laptops and cellphones are not.

and the last hard knock is: BANDWIDTH
do you really really want to be paying for casual readers you don't know, to be sucking up your Internet bandwidth allowance this month?

..... I don't. My Verizon account for Wireless is 4 gB total, if it goes over that, it gets expensive fast. Or, I suck it in and buy more bandwidth to use every month.... for me, that is stupid, as I only need the extra bandwidth maybe once a year when traveling to rallys.

~ John

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Bergen View Post
For the Photobucket issue there's
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...t-fix/?src=api

There are also versions for the Chrome and Opera browsers.

PB must have saw that and they have now blocked that, won't work for me.

I can see all of the thumbnails clearly, but when I click on one to get the bigger size, it is blocked.

so, I went and looked at all of the thumbnails once at a time, do I really need to recover that?
if I do, $60 bux will allow me to buy them back and download them all...

nah, decided to hell with Photobucket

~ John

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 09:44 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
Either I'm missing something, or you guys are. When I want to post a pic I just go to "Manage Attachments" and it lets me select any JPEG on my computer and it copies it into my post. Is that just too simple for some folks?

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 11:55 PM
Junior Grue

Quote:
Either I'm missing something, or you guys are. When I want to post a pic I just go to "Manage Attachments" and it lets me select any JPEG on my computer and it copies it into my post. Is that just too simple for some folks?
I'm guessing that breakfast is just a foggy memory for you and anything before that is gone for good.

Ken.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 12:11 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:

I think you need to take a long ride Dennis, the "what" has been made clear.

either you store your images on this forum, in any method that you choose
Albums/sub-folder/image thumbnail size
Albums/sub-folder/image Full size
Advanced/Attachments

or the GUI Drag 'n Drop way

or other creative way.

or, use Photobucket as I mentioned to start with and loose every picture that you ever stored on their server and now can now long see them... they are blocked every link image UNLESS you pay them a minimum of $400 per year for the linking privilege.

I refused to do that, and deleted my PB account. yuck to them, not quite how I said it, but anyway, they can kiss my tail..

~ John

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Miscellaneous Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page