LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Cool Memories

I was answering a post in another thread and it brought up memories of decades past.

Mardonna's home of birth, and where all of her family are/were, is Bluffton, Indiana.

One year, she wanted to go home, but I was on a construction project and could not get off work.... I had her drive our 1974 Suburban because of its' safety and reliability.

It had a 454 engine which liked to sip on engine oil.... a leak somewhere?? never bothered me, I just looked at it every 3rd tank of gas or so.

but, with her traveling, I just said " when buying gas, look at the engine oil, it will probably want some before you get home."

Well, I thought she knew the difference between the Transmission dip stick and the engine dip stick

uh, no it seems.... she stopped at a gas station up toward Illinois somewhere, and checked the oil... It was "low again", and she put in another quart of oil.

well, a guy at the place walked out and asked why she was putting in more oil, when it was already puking oil out on the ground?? She explained what I told her, and showed him on the DIP STICK how it was still low...

Bless his heart, he gently showed her the words on the cap, the yellow one is for the Trany ma'am....

then he had her look way over the fender "down there" at the RED cap and it is labeled OIL.....

He put the Suburban on a lift, drained out several gallons of oil, poured in 5 quarts of new oil, and sent her on her way.....

I can't remember if he even charged her doing that.... he was so tickled at the time.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 04:01 PM

Year: 1995
Model: 1995 GL1500 SE
How poor life would be without good memories. Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed that.
Peter Goldwing likes this.

Forgive others. Not because they deserve forgiveness, but because you deserve peace.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If your not willing to forgive others, how can you expect God to forgive you.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 04:19 PM

Year: 2008
Model: GL 1800
John, your memories reminds me about my memories. Been married for about one year and I thought it is a good idea to show Letizia how to add oil to a car.
She came out and attentively was watching me.
Back then the oil came in a cardboard like can with a metallic lid. They made an opener and pourer for it but i did not have one. i used the screwdriver to poke a few holes.
I hit the can with the screwdriver and poked a hole in it. Then trying to poke more holes for the air to be sucked in while pouring I hit the can again. The oil splashed out thru the first hole on my face. Undeterred I hit it again and i got more oil in my face. Both of us stated to laugh like nuts. I hit it a few more times and still laughing I told her " Thats the way you do it"

Part deux.

I was changing the oil in my work van. I drained it in an oil pan, pulled the pan out for under the van and started to pour oil into it. After the second bottle a long line of fresh oil was approaching my feet. You guessed it. I forgot to put the plug back in.
WingRider101+ likes this.

I make sense all the time. The problem is you only listen intermittently

Follow me on the spot

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
2 years ago getting ready to go to a rally up in WVA where Jobe05 was hosting it, I did the oil change, put the plug in by hand, got up to find the wrench to tighten it....

Arrived there 3 days later and walked out the next morning to a small puddle of oil under the bike.

Poured in about 3/4 quart to get it back to full.

Yup, plug was just barely hand tight.

~ John

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 04:32 PM

Model: 1999 GL1500A 84 GL1200A/82 GL1100I/79 GL1000
Garage
I was riding my XS750 Yamaha to work one morning. As I turned on hwy 125 towards Bluejacket, I felt my right leg was getting really warm. Looked down and it was covered with oil! I stopped, and, as luck would have it, my oil filler cap was still sitting on the engine. I screwed it back in and stopped in Bluejacket. It took 2 quarts of oil to bring it up to full. I had added some before leaving for work and forgot to put the cap back on. Been real careful with that since!
AZgl1800 likes this.

Larry
99 Aspencade Totaled 6/14/18(Deer)
84 Aspencade
79 GL1000 with VW carb
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 11:21 AM

Year: 1998
Model: GL 1500 SE
Garage
Just out of high school I had a 1982 Firebird with the 2.5L "Iron Duke" and a 4 speed trans. At 160K + miles that little 4 cylinder hauling around that big car was tired out. (never mind how a 19 y/o drove a flashy looking stick shift). I bought new pistons and rings - gasket set and seals, pulled the motor on Saturday morning and started it back up to drive it to church Sunday morning.. Didn't have a clue back then that the cylinders would be out of round. So essentially what I had done was put round pistons & rings in oval cylinders. From that day on I was "That Guy" with the constant cloud of smoke behind me!

We joked that I had to "fill the oil and check the gas"

LarryC likes this.

I drive way to fast to worry about my cholesterol

Last Saturday I planned on doing nothing all day, and by noon, I was half way done!

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Miscellaneous Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page