A bit of a blurb on the merits of Apple maps or Google maps - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1985
Make: Honda
Model: 85 Aspencade
A bit of a blurb on the merits of Apple maps or Google maps

Quite funny in parts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 10:59 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Don't have an Apple branded anything here.

But, the Google maps on a cellphone work as good as, and in most cases, better than GPS devices sold by Garmin and others.

Big benefit for me is, touch the Google icon, and say "Take me to xyz" and it does it.

better yet, got yourself turned around? just say "Take me Home" and we used that tonight.

out in the boonies 2 hours past dark, to buy a set of folding ramps, fog down to about 300 feet, way back, rural roads on the opposite side of Oologah Lake, and most of the roads only run for 2 miles, and then you have to turn, and then turn again to get around the lake's peninsulas.

Makes for some interesting map reading, if you could find a map detailed enough to zoom in that close....

Tonight, I just picked up my Samsung Note 4, touched the Google microphone, and said "Take me home", 30 seconds later, it said "turn left"...

and this was with a Garmin GPS mount in the car, that insisted that we go the opposite way to get out the closest Main Highway, go over to Claremore, and then follow the state route back to home. more than double the distance of "closest route" via Google Maps.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by AZgl1800; 12-23-2017 at 09:53 AM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-23-2017, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

Year: 1985
Model: 85 Aspencade
I have a Garmin Drive assist 5" with a dash cam built in, pretty good, my iphone has both apple maps and google maps, the google maps is a lot better in finding places than the apple maps.

both the garmin and google maps tell me the same thing.

The apple play on the car multimedia dash will not allow google maps to install so the default is Apple maps, a lot of people with apple play dashboards are clamoring for apple to allow google maps on the dash.

If you have an Android phone you would install the Android version and you could get google maps on the dash then.

My phone is about a year old and I am waiting to see if the new Blackberry Motion phone which is Android now will be sold direct from manufacturer this coming year, I don't want to be tied to a server in order to get the phone, which is the case now

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Miscellaneous Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page