Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Linux Conversations

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPal View Post

BTW- John I use CyberLink PowerDirector 13 for my videos. It is a steep learning curve. Over the two years I have had it I have learned to trim clips, link them together, do a title and make transitions. There are about a million other things it will do, give me a few more years.
I am downloading the free version now on my Windows PC.

when I get that, I hope to be able to install it on the Linux laptop in Virtual Box

I don't Wine can handle it at almost 700 mB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-21-2018, 06:29 PM
Junior Grue

Model: 1984 Interstate "Canadian"
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post

when I get that, I hope to be able to install it on the Linux laptop in Virtual Box

I doubt that wine would have any trouble based on a programs size and there would certainly be less overhead than a Virtual Machine.

I haven't done any video editing but there's the open source openshot.
https://www.openshot.org/

Advise given here is free and comes with no warranty "Caveat emptor"

Ken.
post #3 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-21-2018, 07:00 PM
Average Goldwing Rider

Year: 1972, 1981, 1985
Make: CB450, GL1100, GL1200I
Model: K5, Standard, Interstate
Quote:

Ubuntu has a multi-media package. I was running it on my old laptop. It would work OK for low resolution video. The OS wouldn't recognize more than a 16 GB smart card. It takes processing power for 1080 HD. The video posted on this thread was shot in 1080 HD and the final rendering was 720 HD. That is the same as DVD quality. I'm sure youTube runs some kind of compression codec. I pleased with the final result. My first attempt at digital video was with a 486 running windows 95. I would set it up to render a video before bed just to find out it crashed half way through it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Bergen View Post
I doubt that wine would have any trouble based on a programs size and there would certainly be less overhead than a Virtual Machine.

I find the value in the commercial programs is the training that comes with it. Video editing is hard enough. Not to ditz open source, it can be a fun hobby.

Jim Palmer
Current rides:
\'85 GL1200I Garage Find
\'81 GL1100 Std
\'72 CB450K5
My \'81 Restoration:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-21-2018, 09:02 PM
Junior Grue

Quote:
I find the value in the commercial programs is the training that comes with it. Video editing is hard enough. Not to ditz open source, it can be a fun hobby.
So I take it that you use Microsoft Windows, Microsoft Internet Explorer etc or are you all Apple?

Ken.
post #5 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-21-2018, 09:35 PM
Average Goldwing Rider

Quote:
So I take it that you use Microsoft Windows, Microsoft Internet Explorer etc or are you all Apple?
We have one Ubuntu laptop that doesn't get used any more, Two Windows 10 laptops (kid and mine) and two Windows 7 desktops (wife and mine) and my work laptop is windows 7. I have three computer (don't ask) and a Samsung Android tablet. I put the Ubuntu on that laptop because it was getting so bogged down. It got replaced last October. I never really learned Linux. I could use it for simple stuff. I started with DOS 3.3 and went into window with 3.1. I guess you wind up using what you learn to use.
My brother in-law is a Mac guy. He has always been bugging me about how great Macs are for video even though he never does it. What do you use?

Jim Palmer
Current rides:
\'85 GL1200I Garage Find
\'81 GL1100 Std
\'72 CB450K5
My \'81 Restoration:

post #6 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-21-2018, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:

Ken,
I have totally given up on trying to make this little itsy bitsy laptop do anything in Virtual Box.... every time I tried to install a Windows OS, XP or 7, it would lock up solid.... so bad, that I had to use the BIOS Power Button shutdown....
and that scrambles files bad sometimes..... in fact, it has caused me to loose my printer driver, an issue that I am trying to fix now.

I gave up on Wine for the same reason.

I will install every thing Windows on my big Win7 Desktop, it has 6 gB of RAM, and a 3 gHz processor and 1 TB HDD that is only half full.
Plus, it has a 24" HD monitor....

a 15" laptop that sold for $499 is not going to come close to that kind of horse power.

I was just hoping that I could have a "All in one laptop PC" but it is not going to happen unless I turn loose of some very serious money.... and that ain't going to happen because I want to go to rallys and that costs all the extra money I have anyway

~ John

post #7 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 01:36 AM
Junior Grue

Quote:
My brother in-law is a Mac guy. He has always been bugging me about how great Macs are for video even though he never does it. What do you use?
I've been 100% Linux for about ten years.

Ken.
post #8 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 07:36 PM
Average Goldwing Rider

Quote:
Ken,
I have totally given up on trying to make this little itsy bitsy laptop do anything in Virtual Box.... every time I tried to install a Windows OS, XP or 7, it would lock up solid.... so bad, that I had to use the BIOS Power Button shutdown....
and that scrambles files bad sometimes..... in fact, it has caused me to loose my printer driver, an issue that I am trying to fix now.

I gave up on Wine for the same reason.

I will install every thing Windows on my big Win7 Desktop, it has 6 gB of RAM, and a 3 gHz processor and 1 TB HDD that is only half full.
Plus, it has a 24" HD monitor....

a 15" laptop that sold for $499 is not going to come close to that kind of horse power.

I was just hoping that I could have a "All in one laptop PC" but it is not going to happen unless I turn loose of some very serious money.... and that ain't going to happen because I want to go to rallys and that costs all the extra money I have anyway
I made this video on a Dell Inspiron 15. It has 8 GB of memory and an I7 Sixth Generation processor. I bought it last fall as a new but out of production Dell. I ran it wireless to the internet for the up load to youTube. I paid a little under $700 for it. Just for comparison, the Diva was $500.

Quote:
I've been 100% Linux for about ten years.
Good for you. Even though I live about 2 miles from the main Microsoft Campus and many of my neighbors work there, I would love to dump them. I have read many of the non-English speaking parts of Europe are nearly exclusively Linux. I just couldn't get over the learning curve. I've been using Microsoft stuff for 30 years and can dive deeply into it. I don't have another 30 years left to learn another operating system.

Jim Palmer
Current rides:
\'85 GL1200I Garage Find
\'81 GL1100 Std
\'72 CB450K5
My \'81 Restoration:

post #9 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Jim,

I am using Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon on this little ASUS laptop, it is about the same as yours only 10 times slower

I bought it on a low budget at a time when money was scarce, so you get what you bargained for.

Win7 Home Premium on it was so slow, I could turn it on, take a shower, and the forum would almost be up so I could read it.

There was a very noticeable difference when I put Linux on it, it is fairly snappy now.
But, it just does not have the resources to get fancy, ie, Virtual Box and Wine just plain won't function.

So, I have removed both of those, and just going to use it for an Internet surfing PC and let it go at that.

Of all the different Linux OSs out there, I tried several on a LiveCD, I found Mint Cinnamon to be the most friendly to us ole Windows reprobates.

The same commands work from the keyboard, "Windows key" + "E" brings up the file manager just like in Win7.

The GUI is very friendly, and not all that much different than Windows. It works the same, click on START ( Menu ) and up comes the tree of stuff to click on.

Here is a pix showing Firefox on this thread, and the menu overlay.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Menu.jpg (66.6 KB, 9 views)

~ John

post #10 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 10:59 PM
Average Goldwing Rider

I never had a problem with the GUI. Linux is just a UNIX based OS and shares a lot with Apple OS X. Windows is familiar at the command line level. I had the same problem with the old laptop with windows and speed. It did much better with Ubuntu 64 bit. But it could never do the video work I wanted. Now I can take the laptop when we travel and do edits and posting on the road. This was the first new whole computer I have ever owned. Everything else was either used or pieced together. I get it about the money.

Jim Palmer
Current rides:
\'85 GL1200I Garage Find
\'81 GL1100 Std
\'72 CB450K5
My \'81 Restoration:

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Miscellaneous Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page