Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/)
-   Miscellaneous Forum (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/4-miscellaneous-forum/)
-   -   Ouch! Air Conditioning is Expensive! (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/4-miscellaneous-forum/660986-ouch-air-conditioning-expensive.html)

AZgl1800 04-07-2018 01:54 AM

Ouch! Air Conditioning is Expensive!

My Suburban's A/C blew the high pressure seal in the rear of the compressor last summer :frown2:

Sent it to the shop where my close friend says they do great work, and it is done right.

Well, the first quote was enough to choke a horse, but it was within $50 of what my eyeballs had already computed for a repair shop to do the job.

Then when the job was finished, the actual finished price was $200 bux higher... :crying2:

When they were "done" and pressuring it up, they found freon seeping from the line under the truck's frame that goes to the rear a/c unit. :surprise:
FWIW, my '74 Chevy Suburban also had a bad line under the truck to the rear a/c... Must be " a thing " for trucks with rear a/c....

So, new compressor, new dryer, new lines, all new O-rings every where....
Kevin the owner said that he does not like call backs on his work...
if he says it is done right, he means it is done right...

said if I have any problems at all, bring it back and it will be "done right" no charge.

Upside, I will be able to make all of my summer rallys anywhere, no matter how far, or how hot the weather is....

dadztoy 04-07-2018 10:12 AM

I feel your pain John... We had to replace the compressor on our Grand Marquis last year - major $$$ for the job but what price comfort eh?? :cheesygrin:

Charlie in nc 04-07-2018 11:07 AM

I had to replace the compresser on my 90 k1500, I bought a rebuilt one from the local chain auto parts store, The first one had a vibration in it , second one also,Third one also, fourth one also. I am getting good at changing them. I am going to go to the junk yard and hopefully find one that will work. End result, A lot of labor=High cost..Charlie

AZgl1800 04-07-2018 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie in nc (Post 5698786)
I had to replace the compresser on my 90 k1500, I bought a rebuilt one from the local chain auto parts store, The first one had a vibration in it , second one also,Third one also, fourth one also. I am getting good at changing them. I am going to go to the junk yard and hopefully find one that will work. End result, A lot of labor=High cost..Charlie

I don't have the tools to do that anymore, I used to have a shop I could work in, but at 75 now, and hands that ache from tendinitis, I can't pick up a wrench w/o it hurting me anymore.

Yes, it cost me a whole month's Social Security check, but at least I know the job is done right.

And not owning a freon recovery system, makes it impossible to pressure up, find a leak, suck it back out.... I have to let it blow off to the air, then buy more of that expensive stuff.

flylow 04-07-2018 11:11 AM

Good to see that it's up and running for the summer. Now all you need is warm weather to use it....25F here this morning.

AZgl1800 04-07-2018 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flylow (Post 5698810)
Good to see that it's up and running for the summer. Now all you need is warm weather to use it....25F here this morning.

ain't that the truth, look what is still on the ground here at noon???

https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/...407-093728.jpg

DaveO430 04-07-2018 12:47 PM

Quote:

I put one on my S10 last year from Oriellys, works fine but harder to turn than it should be. I asked about getting another one under warranty and would they also give me the freon & oil to do it with and they won't. I bought one for my 94 K1500 must have been 15 years ago and last year it started leaking. Thought about taking it back to them and saying it is from the S10, which is still under warranty. I heard form a good source if you want a good compressor get a 4 seasons.

Peter Goldwing 04-07-2018 01:25 PM

I changed it myself the one in 2005 Honda and it worked perfect for a year thenI had to change the evaporator. Neither is a difficult job

OnaWingAndaPrayer 04-07-2018 07:27 PM

Quote:

Charlie , you might check out that Amozoning place on the web. I just got a "kit" for my 99 tahoe with dual air. new compressor split hose manifold from the compressor to truck , drier, orfice, and oil . 250 i think it was. Not sure if your 90 uses the same compressor .

tricky 04-08-2018 06:51 AM

Now I know why I buy a new car every five years.... bad enough changing from snow tires to summer tires.