15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-05-2018, 11:51 PM
Magic Moderator

Model: No more Wings, Gold or Silver
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike...and Dennis View Post
If you live away from things and places, the internet and UPS can simplify your life and save you some gas.
It will help me greatly. Living in Lovington, NM there is one grocery store, a Shopko and a Bealls, there's also a host of dollar stores but no Walmart. The nearest Walmart is Hobbs. I've got no problem with buying on line. Since shopping isn't far away, buying on line will save my shoe soles.
Bike...and Dennis likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Retired trike builder.
I dislike Spam, too much sodium.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 12:55 PM

Year: 1993
Make: Honda
Model: 1993 GL 1500
Garage
Dennis, my pick up a Chev started starting hard, it was the fuel pump. there was no filter in the line just in the gas tank. But you have to figure out what is missing it is always Fuel, Air or electrical. I would bet on electric if it just shut off. Auto Zone here has a code reader that you plug in and then take it in to them and they plug it into the computer. It's free here and been pretty good but your check engine light has to be on for it to work. My pick up is a 2003 with 200,000 miles so a lot of computer stuff has worn out. The parts are not that expensive just takes time like working on the bike.
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
I got the reader today. Tonight I'll see if I can figure out how to use it, then get a reading from the car in the morning.

Why ain't we ridin'?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 12:09 AM Thread Starter

Geez! this is FUBAR.

My code reader comes up with a codes P1703 and P0727. But it calls them transmission codes, not engine codes.

One site says the first code is a brake switch problem and another says its a throttle position sensor. I did have the little plastic button that controls the brake light on the brake pedal go bad, so...

The Hyundai forum people thought my trouble was the crank position sensor and one guy responded saying the the P0272 code was confirmation of that. Though my brother completely disagrees and says it's a tranny code. A trouble code site claims the code is "Open circuit speed sensor engine crankshaft", verbatim.

I put the car in the driveway and let it idle, with the air blowing full blast for a half hour, then drove it around the neighborhood a while and it never skipped a beat.

There's no way to say putting new parts on has fixed anything, and it may cop out again, of course in a very problematic location.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 06:16 AM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:
Geez! this is FUBAR.

My code reader comes up with a codes P1703 and P0727. But it calls them transmission codes, not engine codes.

One site says the first code is a brake switch problem and another says its a throttle position sensor. I did have the little plastic button that controls the brake light on the brake pedal go bad, so...

The Hyundai forum people thought my trouble was the crank position sensor and one guy responded saying the the P0272 code was confirmation of that. Though my brother completely disagrees and says it's a tranny code. A trouble code site claims the code is "Open circuit speed sensor engine crankshaft", verbatim.

I put the car in the driveway and let it idle, with the air blowing full blast for a half hour, then drove it around the neighborhood a while and it never skipped a beat.

There's no way to say putting new parts on has fixed anything, and it may cop out again, of course in a very problematic location.
P0727 is engine speed input (crank position sensor) . 272 would be #4 cyl. weak. The 1703 seems to maybe indicate the TPS.
Jerry Burns likes this.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Dave.

Why does the reader call them transmission codes? Is it busted, or is that the way they work?

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 10:38 AM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Quote:
Thanks Dave.

Why does the reader call them transmission codes? Is it busted, or is that the way they work?
The reader I have just displays the code value, I look up online what those mean.

the database in those things is not all that good.
especially with the cheaper ones and I got the cheapest one I could find.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 11:37 AM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:
Thanks Dave.

No idea. 700s is normally transmission codes but not everything is the same. I think it's what I said in the first place, crank sensor.
Jerry Burns likes this.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 12:43 PM

Year: 1993
Model: 1993 GL 1500
Garage
I changed my Cam shaft position sensor about a month age. I had been driving it with that code for over a year. It ran fine once it was started but I don't think it was running right. The gas mileage had dropped and when I pulled the intake manifold a lot of carbon build up. The new intake gaskets cost more than the sensor. My point is change the crankshaft sensor, it's not that much money and computer and electrical stuff on these car can leave you stranded. I agree with Dave and that's why I didn't buy a code reader the ones I have seen that work right cost $250. or 300. from Snap on. I just take my truck to Auto Zone and use there's. and there computer reads the codes in the little unit. So far it's been right 100%.
post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

Well, the part showed up yesterday and it turns out to be the wrong one. So, now I wait for the right one.

Why ain't we ridin'?

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Miscellaneous Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page