LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
The Idling Question

Many years ago, I had a vehicle ( can't recall if car or truck )
that had a throttle cable you could pull out of the dash to raise the idle speed just a bit to keep the generator running enough to keep the electrics going while I worked.

Now, I have a 2001 Suburban with the 5.3L ( 350 CC ) engine, with FI of course.
On our trip pulling the Toy Hauler and our two little 75 lb puppies
we had several occasions where we needed to leave the truck running to keep the doggies cool. Temps were in the high 90s at the time. ( we like to visit museums, etc and the doors will lock with a key ) and the dogs don't like strangers

Coming back to the truck, I did not like seeing the temp gauge nudging the Red Line.

Just touching the throttle and bringing the tach up to 1500 rpm brought the temp gauge back down to normal again.

I googled the world, and found 'GRIP' for fleet vehicles to purposely shut the engine down, if left idling more than 5 minutes.

Not what I want.... my son says to use a Popsicle stick under the throttle's perch...
uh, the engine is hot, I can't reach that far, and the throttle is covered with a "cover"

I need to just flip a switch, pull a cable out, something... and pop the hood of course.
any ideas?

my perfect idea is something that plugs into the CAN port and will tell the ECM to up the throttle a bit.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 09:20 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
That is a cable and not throttle by wire? Something like this should work, attached to the cruise control drum.
https://www.finditparts.com/products...RoCwhQQAvD_BwE
flylow likes this.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks Dave,

I am going to crawl under the hood tomorrow morning and find out what is under the engine cover.
I am probably wrong, but I was thinking the truck has a throttle body injection system? if not, there should be a bunch of steel lines running to each intake port.

that cable should do the trick, tnx for the link.

~ John

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 05:07 AM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post
Thanks Dave,

I am going to crawl under the hood tomorrow morning and find out what is under the engine cover.
I am probably wrong, but I was thinking the truck has a throttle body injection system? if not, there should be a bunch of steel lines running to each intake port.

that cable should do the trick, tnx for the link.

No, it's not TBI, it is port injection but you won't see a bunch of steel lines, it's not a diesel.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 06:33 AM

Year: 75,83I,86SEi,93A,94SE,03ABS
Model: 94SE 209000 miles
My 99 Tahoe still uses a cable,I am not sure what year GM went throttle by wire. But in that system there is a way to up idle speed.It is designed for trucks using PTO devices. So possibly would not be in the wire harness for an SUV .
My previous 2007 one tone work truck used this high idle method to run an engine mounted air compressor system. IIRC they had a couple of RPM selections to choose from.

So I just did a quick looky and it seems throttle by wire came in 2003. The method I described was on 3500 series possibly only diesel engine.
Another method RPO option UF3 uses the cruise control but again I think that is on later vehicles.

The simple solution in your case may be a "T" handle cable with twist lock in position. Run the cable out to the throttle body and make an attachment for the cable housing and the sliding cable on the throttle arm.

Back in the late 60s? early 70s GM used a soleniod on the carburettor to up idle speed . If you could sorct one of those and fab the brakets needed it could be a electic system wich would be nicer because it could deactivate by use of a relay system.

Mike
NASSIR 1
NASSIR 6
NASSIR 7
NASSIR 8
NASR 10 Good times!

Last edited by OnaWingAndaPrayer; 06-30-2018 at 06:54 AM. Reason: added info
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnaWingAndaPrayer View Post
My 99 Tahoe still uses a cable,

I am not sure what year GM went throttle by wire. But in that system there is a way to up idle speed.It is designed for trucks using PTO devices. So possibly would not be in the wire harness for an SUV .
My previous 2007 one tone work truck used this high idle method to run an engine mounted air compressor system. IIRC they had a couple of RPM selections to choose from.

So I just did a quick looky and it seems throttle by wire came in 2003.
The method I described was on 3500 series possibly only diesel engine.
Another method RPO option UF3 uses the cruise control but again I think that is on later vehicles.
The simple solution in your case may be a "T" handle cable with twist lock in position.

Run the cable out to the throttle body and make an attachment for the cable housing and the sliding cable on the throttle arm.

Back in the late 60s? early 70s GM used a solenoid on the carburettor to up idle speed . If you could sorct one of those and fab the brackets needed it could be a electric system which would be nicer because it could deactivate by use of a relay system.

I remember the electric solenoid on the carb now that you mention it, I had to twist the screw in a bit on a work truck to get the idle up high enough to keep the engine temps cool in 105* weather....

I just looked at the truck and found a single tuned port injection tube. Plus, the cable driven input throttle body cam lobe.

So, the cable that Dave found is going to be ordered, and it seems that removing the top cover should find a nice place to Zip Tie that new vernier cable along side the existing control cable housings.

~ John

Last edited by AZgl1800; 06-30-2018 at 10:00 AM.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 12:35 PM
big PIA

Model: GL1800
I tried opening the link Dave sent you but would not open for me, I saw a throttle cable in the rafters of my garage, if I remember it was still in plastic and I am going to get rid of it because I have no use for it. I will take picture of it when I get home, maybe it's something you can use. My dad used to work at a truck repair shop and I think that is where it came from
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 05:30 PM
Did...did I do that?

Year: 1996
Model: GL1500SE
Garage
Sounds like you might have a solution, but if not, you might look into companies that outfit emergency vehicles, especially those that specialize in K9 units. They have to have better cooling control than your average unit.
AZgl1800 likes this.

Posted messages are packaged by intellectual weight, not volume. Some settling of contents may have occurred during transmission.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticFour View Post
I tried opening the link Dave sent you but would not open for me, I saw a throttle cable in the rafters of my garage, if I remember it was still in plastic and I am going to get rid of it because I have no use for it. I will take picture of it when I get home, maybe it's something you can use. My dad used to work at a truck repair shop and I think that is where it came from

I would appreciate that, if you find it.

~ John

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 04:43 AM
Banned

Year: 1986
Make: honda
Model: gl1200A
ummm, cant ya just install a better cooling fan? cmhbob hit another thought. the ecm controls the hyigher idle on popo cars. find how they manipulate the IAC?

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Miscellaneous Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page