Do not buy fram filters!!! - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
Senior Mem & Story Teller

Year: 2010
Make: honda
Model: 2010 GL 1800 comfort (buried after fire)
My daughter is an engineer for a large oil and air filter OEM (they make them for new cars of all makes and the filters those companies sell under their own name. Her company got joined with Fram and she was one of the people sent to try to get the Fram ISO numbers up. The horror stories about what Fram was doing made her about puke. Things like using brown bag paper for filter material, end caps that were not bonded to the filter agent, the filter material about 2/3 of the length it should be, filter bypass valves that bypassed to oil shortly after filter was installed. they worked on getting their quality up but Fram would not do it. Fram being tied to them meant that it pulled down their ISO rating which stratospheric. The guy who owned both of them figured out he had better separate them. There was great joy when that happen. Banners, flags and pride in their plant. So now they are striving to get their ISO rating back up into the stratosphere

If you want long life for your bike DO NOT USE A FRAM FILTER. Buy a Fram and maybe a WIX from NAPA and saw the filters apart. the condstruction will make even a novice rider never want to buy a FRAM.

My daughter is an engineer for a large oil and air filter OEM (they make them for new cars of all makes and the filters those companies sell under their own name. Her company got joined with Fram and she was one of the people sent to try to get the Fram ISO numbers up. The horror stories about what Fram was doing made her about puke. Things like using brown bag paper for filter material, end caps that were not bonded to the filter agent, the filter material about 2/3 of the length it should be, filter bypass valves that bypassed to oil shortly after filter was installed. they worked on getting their quality up but Fram would not do it. Fram being tied to them meant that it pulled down their ISO rating which stratospheric. The guy who owned both of them figured out he had better separate them. There was great joy when that happen. Banners, flags and pride in their plant. So now they are striving to get their ISO rating back up into the stratosphere

If you want long life for your bike DO NOT USE A FRAM FILTER. Buy a Fram and maybe a WIX from NAPA and saw the filters apart. the construction will make even a novice rider never want to buy a FRAM. google them.

Life is a collection of stories we old people tell and hope a few will listen and carry them into the future.

There is a story to everything we have, everyone we have met and everything we have done or we will do or dream about doing.

We sometimes ride to forget, but hopefully we never forget to ride.

Illinois Patriot Guard

Honda SL 175
Honda XL 350
Honda CB 750 X 2
Kawasaki 250
Honda GL 1200 Interstate
Honda GL 1800 (my last and one of the last made in the USA)

Last edited by AZgl1800; 07-02-2018 at 01:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 08:00 AM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
so the long ago stories about Fram, are still in effect and very much true?

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 09:00 AM

Year: 1997
Model: Aspencade 1500
Garage
WOW. Makes one wonder if there has ever been a catastrophic failure from using FRAM filters?

Only a biker knows why a dog puts his head out of a window of a moving vehicle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 11:23 AM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Guy View Post
WOW. Makes one wonder if there has ever been a catastrophic failure from using FRAM filters?

Yes, I have seen it in Honda cars, who I worked for for a very long time. The lower end will survive it but the cams won't. I have seen pictures of Fram filters cut open and compared to other brands and what monkeytrucker says is true.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 35 year plaque 002.jpg (67.0 KB, 19 views)
claydbal and jcsouders5464 like this.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 11:57 AM

Year: 2014
Model: GL1800 level 1 Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveO430 View Post
Yes, I have seen it in Honda cars, who I worked for for a very long time. The lower end will survive it but the cams won't. I have seen pictures of Fram filters cut open and compared to other brands and what monkeytrucker says is true.
I have worked for Honda going on 10 years. And we see cam replacement on Honda's a lot from people doing their own oil service using FRAM as it the cheapest to buy.
Sometime do not blame people for wanting to do their own work, but dang at least buy quality stuff to do it.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 12:18 PM
big PIA

Model: GL1800
Glad I saw this post, getting ready to change my oil and I believe I have a Fram oil filter sitting there for it. If so I am going to go pick up a different one
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 12:30 PM
Magic Moderator

Model: No more Wings, Gold or Silver
Garage
I always used OEM Honda filters for the Wing's oil change.
I'd expect something like that from products being made in China.

Retired trike builder.
I dislike Spam, too much sodium.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 01:09 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcsouders5464 View Post
I have worked for Honda going on 10 years. And we see cam replacement on Honda's a lot from people doing their own oil service using FRAM as it the cheapest to buy.
Sometime do not blame people for wanting to do their own work, but dang at least buy quality stuff to do it.

Bet you see some VTEC problems from them too.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 01:22 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
the Honda dealer is too far for me to travel there,
so I get mine at NAPA Gold

Oil Filter:

NAPA Gold 1358 this is the longer one and the one I buy.
Diameter is the same, the flats are the same, can use the same filter wrench tool.

CK-4 spec, do NOT buy FA-4

_

~ John

post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 03:20 PM

Year: 2008
Model: GL 1800
He said it twice, it must be true. Time to drop my Fram stock.

I make sense all the time. The problem is you only listen intermittently

Follow me on the spot

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Miscellaneous Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page