Eyeglasses - Page 2 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 11:57 AM
Nobody You Know

Model: 2013 GL-1800
I bought several pairs over time a few years ago from Zenni's - bifocals, sunglasses, and both. Never had a problem. I recommend them.

Now I don't need prescription glasses, however. Had cataract surgery (both eyes) and the doc installed new lenses that gave me near 20/20. Still need +1.25 readers because I nor insurance would spring for the extra cost for bifocal lens replacements. (Which the doc said were a bit difficult to get used to anyway.) I buy the readers and sunglasses off the shelf for a few bucks at Wal-Mart and they work fine for me!

Ken
2013 GL-1800
1999 CB-750 Nighthawk
1988 GL-1500 (gone but not forgotten)

K 4 D I T
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
I use biFocal glasses, and they are not that hard to get used to.

I like them when watching movies as I can use the laptop and glance up at the TV screen and everything is in focus immediately...

or when driving the car, I can look down at the dashboard and everything is in focus there also.

my cataract lense replacements have been wonderful, and let me go about daily life w/o wearing glasses which can be a real bother in outdoor activities.
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 05:47 PM

Year: 1989
Model: GL1500
i've used zenni for about 6 years now. They are cheap and a decent quality. I have 5 pairs, you can more then one pair at there prices. I haven't lost any, but if you do, its not that big of a deal....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebuildersrule View Post
i've used zenni for about 6 years now. They are cheap and a decent quality. I have 5 pairs, you can more then one pair at there prices. I haven't lost any, but if you do, its not that big of a deal....
Compared to my Lenscrafters Titanium glasses, which at retail cost $500/pair, that is a much better deal...

the reason I have them, is when I retired, I had $2,000 in a Medical Healthcare Savings Account.... those things are okay for families with predictable expenses, but for a single person retiring? it was spend it all, or loose it all...

so, I bought 5 pairs of glasses all at the same time.

Single Vision Reading: a godsend for a laptop in your lap, while in a recliner.

BiFocals for driving and reading the gauges on the car.

Computer glasses for my Desktop with a 24 inch monitor where I set back about 36-40 inches from the monitor, reading glasses made me hunch over the desk.... now I can sit in my Office Chair and lean back and still read the monitor.

Sunglasses: goofed on these, thought I would love the wrap around kind....
uh, no, no one can make those things work with Prescription Lenses that have Astigmatism correction.... I sent them back 3 times, and gave up.

Talked to my local eye doctor about that just a month ago, and he said the same thing, can't be done.

Should have bought the Aviator Style, those work as the lenses are flat.
I will order a pair of these from Zenni Opitical.
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 07:06 PM

Year: 2008
Model: GL 1800
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryInSeattle View Post
I have worn glasses all my life. I started using Zenni about 5 or 6 years ago. The quality is there. There is quite a bit of mark up in the local eye wear store. Living now in Yuma, AZ, I recently purchased new glasses in Mexico. Two pair for $90 and that included the eye exam.... transition bi focal lenses and so far these frames have held up great.

I am going to order some sun glasses from Zenni soon. My old riding glasses that I bought there 6 years ago are scratched and beat up pretty bad.
Wow look who's back. Yuma, I see, is almost in Mexico. Are you working on some sort of secret tunnel Larry?
Tell us how you ended up in there. Is it for the inexpensive services you buy across the border? Like eye glasses? I just say that so the police wont say I hijacked the forum

I make sense all the time. The problem is you only listen intermittently

Follow me on the spot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #16 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 11:50 AM
Nobody You Know

Model: 2013 GL-1800
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post
I use biFocal glasses, and they are not that hard to get used to.
The bifocals I was referring to (that the doc said were hard to get used to) were the cataract replacement lenses in the eyes - not the kind in the frames! What I find useful for riding are bifocal sunglasses with +1.25 in the 'reader' area and no correction otherwise, because I no longer need it for my 'far' vision since my cataract surgery. Zenni's does a fine job with those. That way I can read the gauges and see the road and have sunglasses!

Ken
2013 GL-1800
1999 CB-750 Nighthawk
1988 GL-1500 (gone but not forgotten)

K 4 D I T
post #17 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 12:30 PM

Year: 2008
Model: gl1800p
I have used Zenni for years. The only thing they don't offer is a true prescription goggle for riding. They have goggles which work with single vision and I really like the fit and feel. However, with needing a no line progressive (yes I am old) I got tired of switching glasses every time I stopped for a break. I still order my day to day glasses (no line progressive with transitions) from Zenni. But my sunglass goggles I recently got from a local America's Best. If Zenni ever offers them I will surely switch. Their prices are amazing.
post #18 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88goldwing View Post
The bifocals I was referring to (that the doc said were hard to get used to) were the cataract replacement lenses in the eyes - not the kind in the frames! What I find useful for riding are bifocal sunglasses with +1.25 in the 'reader' area and no correction otherwise, because I no longer need it for my 'far' vision since my cataract surgery. Zenni's does a fine job with those. That way I can read the gauges and see the road and have sunglasses!

Oh, both my eyedoctor, and the surgeon both told me to stay with plain vanilla cataract lenses w/o any correction....

they both said that the correction has to change through out our lives, and that can only be done with external lenses.

I am extremely happy with my new uncorrected cataract lenses.....
the left one is very good, the right one requires astigmatism correction as it has for 50 years.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #19 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 10:40 AM

Model: 2005 1800 with Lehman Trike
Double cataract lens replacement. An amazing, yet quick and easy, operation.
post #20 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by suvcw04 View Post
Double cataract lens replacement. An amazing, yet quick and easy, operation.

I should hope they did them one at a time?

that is what my surgeon does, he won't do both at the same time.

~ John

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Miscellaneous Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page