Need help with garage door opener. - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

Year: 2008
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800
Need help with garage door opener.

I have a Craftsman 315MHz door opener model 139.53985DM with a Security+ keyless entry keypad model 139.53754. At the keypad, to close the door the operator can put in the code and hit enter or simply hit enter. The one button close is programmable on or off using the keypad. The other day I changed the battery and now the one button close does not work. All other functions operate normal including the close with security code entered. I have cleared all programming in the opener and reprogrammed the opener to the keypad, still not working. Searching online I found one reference that matched my problem exactly, failing after having changed the battery. The solution was to reprogram the opener and program the keypad one button close to "enable" (on). If that didn't fix it then replacement was required. This person also stated that he had never heard of this problem before.

Charlie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 05:57 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
I bought a programmable door opener years ago, it worked at the time, it is laying out in my shop now.... always thought that I should try to install it, but with a stone veneer wall, that is problematic, and just never did it.

I'm trying to think of a way to mount a normal N.O. push button that would only send a Down Pulse.... I suppose the N.O. button could be run thru a spring loaded Microswitch that is tripped to open when the door is closed, that would prevent it being used to open the door.

that would be a lot cheaper than replacing that programmable opener.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 06:05 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
I don't do electricity, but I've seen, on a couple occasions, where powering down everything at once is needed for a complete reset. So you might throw the breaker(s) and see if it helps.
flylow likes this.

Why ain't we ridin'?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

I'll do that today, Dennis.

John, if you only had a down button how would you get it open from outside? If you have a hand held opener to raise the door then use the same to close it.???

I don't think stone will stop RF that close to the receiver. Years ago I put a opener in my Dad's metal building. He was having problems with not being able to open the door unless he was just outside the door. I ran an external antenna through a small hole above the door giving more range and a happy camper.

Charlie
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 04:59 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flylow View Post

John, if you only had a down button how would you get it open from outside? If you have a hand held opener to raise the door then use the same to close it.???

I don't think stone will stop RF that close to the receiver. Years ago I put a opener in my Dad's metal building. He was having problems with not being able to open the door unless he was just outside the door. I ran an external antenna through a small hole above the door giving more range and a happy camper.
and here I thought you and I were always on the same page???

not the push button in the house, just the extra push button run to the outside, so folks you don't want to let in, can't use that push button. your controller is already mounted, it will open the door after you enter the code, just like always, right?

and the hand controller in our cars? won't effect that either.

as for stone walls, I meant mounting the outside controller that I have....
RF won't even know the stone is there.

our side door is so close to the overhead door, we just never thought it necessary.
siouxindian and flylow like this.

~ John

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

Dennis, I did turn the power off and remove the battery from the keypad yesterday. Good idea but it's still not working today. I guess it's 5 keystrokes from now on to close the door.

Charlie
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 12:04 PM
Nobody You Know

Model: 2013 GL-1800
I'm guessing, like most Sears products, somebody else makes it. I have a LiftMaster opener that has the "one button close" feature you describe. In case yours is actually made by LiftMaster, the way to enable/disable that feature on the LiftMaster is as follows (from their web site):

"This feature can be activated and deactivated by pressing and holding the numbers 1 and 9 simultaneously for 10 seconds. The keypad will blink twice when the one button close is active. The keypad will blink four times when one button close is deactivated."

Worth a try!
flylow likes this.

Ken
2013 GL-1800
1999 CB-750 Nighthawk
1988 GL-1500 (gone but not forgotten)
1975 CB-400F (long gone but fondly remembered)
1970ish Kawasaki 90 (just plain long gone)
1965 Cushman Super Eagle (long gone and thankfully forgotten)
1957 Sears MoPed (long gone, but some good 'first bike' memories)

K 4 D I T
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Ken,
I'm sure they are the same. I have programmed the one button to off and the enter is deactivated. I then programmed to on (2 flashes) and the button works in that the keypad flashes for 15 seconds but the door doesn't move. I can start the door moving up and hit the enter and it will stop, go down with the next push, reverse with the next push and continue this until the 15 seconds runs out. I think I will do some research on the mfg., I have tried Sears and they are no help. I just tested the door going down and putting my foot out to block the light beam. The door does reverse and the light on the motor blinks. When pushing the enter button for down and blocking the light beam, nothing happens, no door movement or lights flashing. I think the next thing to do is to take my other keypad down and program it to this door. This should tell me if it's the keypad or the mother board at the motor.

Charlie
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

I did program my 2nd keypad to this door. It works as advertised so I'm looking at replacing the keypad. I have to decide if one button operation is convenient enough to warrant $50.00 for a replacement or just continue to use a PIN number. So much to worry about and so little time to worry. I think I'll just go get another refill on the coffee. Thanks for your input, if I find a repair I'll let you know.
siouxindian likes this.

Charlie
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 04:03 AM

Year: 1998
Model: 1998 Goldwing GL1500SE DFT Trike
Garage
The Craftsman openers are made by Liftmaster, at least the newer ones are.

"The only problem with 'common sense' is that it is not all that common." Charles Kuralt

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Miscellaneous Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page