It's Purely Hypothetical, But... - Page 2 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 09:16 PM

Model: 1985 GL1200 Limited Edition and 1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
Two things come to mind the speed of the motorcyclist as mentioned and the backing out of a driveway.

The motorcyclist hits the car side, and because of this, initial fault could be said to be with the car and driver. If the motorcyclist had hit the rear of the car because of the angle the car was on the street, the motorcyclist would be at fault. Since this is not the case, lets stick with the car/driver being at fault initially.

However, in this situation where the motorcyclist "skids" into the right rear fender of the car, there should be a skid mark that would need to be investigated.

The speed of the motorcyclist cannot be determined until it is recreated by an investigative unit; however, through this investigation it may be determined that the motorcyclist was going in excess of the posted speed, and by how much. I would surmise that the investigative unit would recreate the scene by riding a police motorcycle on the same street at the posted speed, apply emergency braking where the skid mark starts and measure the distance required to stop. The police, being highly trained in emergency braking might give an expertise leeway/percentage and determine the probable speed of the motorcyclist.

If it was determined by the investigative unit that the motorcyclist had exceeded the posted speed limit by a significant margin, it is not out of the realm of probability that the motorcyclist would have liability as well.

Just a few thoughts. Cheers

"When writing the story of your life, Don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 06:16 AM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednaxs60 View Post
Two things come to mind the speed of the motorcyclist as mentioned and the backing out of a driveway.

The motorcyclist hits the car side, and because of this, initial fault could be said to be with the car and driver. If the motorcyclist had hit the rear of the car because of the angle the car was on the street, the motorcyclist would be at fault. Since this is not the case, lets stick with the car/driver being at fault initially.

However, in this situation where the motorcyclist "skids" into the right rear fender of the car, there should be a skid mark that would need to be investigated.

The speed of the motorcyclist cannot be determined until it is recreated by an investigative unit; however, through this investigation it may be determined that the motorcyclist was going in excess of the posted speed, and by how much. I would surmise that the investigative unit would recreate the scene by riding a police motorcycle on the same street at the posted speed, apply emergency braking where the skid mark starts and measure the distance required to stop. The police, being highly trained in emergency braking might give an expertise leeway/percentage and determine the probable speed of the motorcyclist.

If it was determined by the investigative unit that the motorcyclist had exceeded the posted speed limit by a significant margin, it is not out of the realm of probability that the motorcyclist would have liability as well.

Just a few thoughts. Cheers
But it would be difficult if not impossible to determine if the motorcyclist used both or just the rear brake, if it didn't have linked brakes.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 06:55 AM

Year: 1995
Make: Honda
Model: 1995 GL1500 SE
By legal consideration, both drivers are at fault. One for speeding, the other for improper backing. Take away either violation and the accident never happened. Even though our society doesn't require it, Karma will make you responsible for your actions.

Forgive others. Not because they deserve forgiveness, but because you deserve peace.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If your not willing to forgive others, how can you expect God to forgive you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 06:16 PM

Year: 2008
Model: GL 1800
Red face

Did he hit her right side of the car as we look from across the street or the left side as viewed by the motorcyclist?when ever I back out with a reduced visibility I almost do that inch by inch allowing anybody planty time to avoid my car. Same in parking lots backing out.
I'd say both at fault.
A guy that I know on a BMW motorcycle hit an old lady backing out on her driveway. He said she never stopped. He is kind of ok but not 100%

I make sense all the time. The problem is you only listen intermittently

Follow me on the spot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
Personally, I would think a lot of the blame should rest on the biker. Had he been maintaining a more appropriate speed, and been better trained, he would have simply slowed and swerved around the car. No collision.
AZgl1800 and Rednaxs60 like this.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 09:10 PM

Model: 1985 GL1200 Limited Edition and 1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike...and Dennis View Post
Personally, I would think a lot of the blame should rest on the biker. Had he been maintaining a more appropriate speed, and been better trained, he would have simply slowed and swerved around the car. No collision.
I agree. Proper emergency braking technique might have prevented this as well. I've mentioned to a lot of my riding friends that money spent on training will never go to waste, unlike insurance that you must have and hopefully never use.

"When writing the story of your life, Don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 11:20 AM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Quote:

This, this is exactly how I read it also.

Ever since the Penske Semi rig took me out in 2008, I have been 100% more cautious than I ever used to be.....

I look for driveways, T-intersections off to the side of my road, and especially if shrubbery or buildings block my view of potential oncoming traffic.

I use my GPS and set a route in front of where I am going, which makes it into a rolling Road Map and I can see intersection hazards a mile in advance...

There is a county road near me, that when I approach it from the West going East, you are going up a steep hill, and the top of that hill immediately rolls off downhill at almost a 15% grade.... about 100 yards from the top, on the East side, is a 4-way county road, heavy brush growing right up to all 4 corners of it....

The last time I rode through there, a farm tractor pulled out from my right side, crossing straight across to my left side.... he was pulling a wagon loaded with hay....

IMO, he was extremely stupid to do that without having some one at the top of the hill to flag oncoming traffic. Had I been doing the 55 mph speed limit, I would have hit the tractor broadside....

But, my sonar was honking at me Big Time and I rolled off down to 30 mph at the top of the hill, and OMG look at that tractor pulling out

~ John

post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 12:27 PM

Model: GL1500SE
In the hypothetical example I say biker fault making it unreasonable for the car to judge the situation.

It's easy to avoid getting shot. Just duck when you see the bullet coming. Yeah, right.

Len
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 12:33 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
on Android phones, and maybe on iApple crap too,

there is an app .... CoPilot USA.... https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ket.premiumusa

it has a feature on the paid Pro version, that will announce cross intersections in advance.
as part of that, you can have it announce an upcoming turns in increments of 1/2, 1, 2, and more miles in advance....

it was that very app that caused me to slow down for the tractor on that one hill.... at the time, I was not aware of that hill's dangerous T-crossing..... now I recognize it by sight and slow way down..

~ John

post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 04:43 PM
Average Goldwing Rider

Year: 1972, 1981, 1985
Make: CB450, GL1100, GL1200I
Model: K5, Standard, Interstate
Quote:
Hypothetically I agree with you, but unless the bike rider admits to doubling the speed limit it is impossible to prove. Years ago the really happened to my neighbor. The only difference was a car in place of the motorcycle. Bellevue PD laid the blame on the driveway car and basically discounted the fact the driver on the street was speeding.

In the 50 years of off and on riding I have done, I have come to believe the motorcycles that car drivers don't see are the bike that are traveling in excess of the posted (or safe) speed limit.
AZgl1800 likes this.

Jim Palmer
Current rides:
\'85 GL1200I Garage Find
\'81 GL1100 Std
\'72 CB450K5
My \'81 Restoration:

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Miscellaneous Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page