LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 82 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 06:02 AM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Goldwing View Post
Another problem:I saw this on "MYTHBUSTERS"
You drop a bullet from a certain height and measure the time it took to hit the ground then you shoot the bullet with a gun perfectly horizontal at the same height which one will take longer to hit the ground?
Simple, they both hit at the same time.
suvcw04 likes this.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 82 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 06:20 AM Thread Starter

Year: 2008
Make: Honda
Model: GL 1800
Yep Dave , thats what they say.
I just came up with another problem
You shoot a powerful gun PERFECTLY VERTICAL Which will take longer for the bullet, the way up or down? What about if you do the same in vacuum.
I have an answer but not sure it is correct. There is an element of this problem that most will forget to consider.
Dont forget we need two answers: in air and in vacuum

I make sense all the time. The problem is you only listen intermittently

Follow me on the spot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 82 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 12:17 PM
mod-erator

Garage
I think the bullet would go up faster then down in atmosphere and down faster than up in a vacuum, but. In a vacuum it would also travel up faster and farther so it might not matter.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

2010 1800 pearl yellow

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 82 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 02:53 PM
Junior Grue

Model: 1984 Interstate "Canadian"
For the first part with the possible exception your old Daisy BB gun the terminal velocity will be less than the muzzle velocity so longer down than up.

For the second part acceleration down will equal deceleration up so the time will be the same.
suvcw04 likes this.

Advise given here is free and comes with no warranty "Caveat emptor"

Ken.
post #25 of 82 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 07:12 PM

Year: 1985
Model: Aspencade
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveO430 View Post
Simple, they both hit at the same time.
It depends. Is there a variation in local terrain so that the bullet hits a hillside before it would reach the ground if the local terrain were flat?

Is the starting height large enough that the curvature of the Earth will have an effect? How far does the bullet travel before reaching the ground?

Spending more time on my wife's hobby than the wing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #26 of 82 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 09:29 PM
mod-erator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Scott View Post
It depends. Is there a variation in local terrain so that the bullet hits a hillside before it would reach the ground if the local terrain were flat?

Is the starting height large enough that the curvature of the Earth will have an effect? How far does the bullet travel before reaching the ground?
No, the premise is the bullet is fired perfectly level over a flat surface. The bullet travels as far as it can go in the time it takes to drop the distance from the muzzle to the ground. For instance, if the distance from the ground is far enough to take 1 second to drop and the velocity is 1000 feet per second it would travel 1000 feet before hitting the ground.

2010 1800 pearl yellow

post #27 of 82 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 09:26 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveO430 View Post
No, the premise is the bullet is fired perfectly level over a flat surface. The bullet travels as far as it can go in the time it takes to drop the distance from the muzzle to the ground. For instance, if the distance from the ground is far enough to take 1 second to drop and the velocity is 1000 feet per second it would travel 1000 feet before hitting the ground.
Dave,

I will agree that the premise is flat ground but the original post did not clearly state that.

post #28 of 82 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

Year: 2008
Model: GL 1800
Another questionable thing is if we see the colors alike. When I was a kid my mother told me a certain color was red. Regardless how I saw it she called it red.
Then another kid was seeing a color totally different than I did . His mother told him the color was red.
As grownups we both agree that the color we are seeing is red but we might see totally different colors.
Is there any proof we see the same color looking at an object?

I make sense all the time. The problem is you only listen intermittently

Follow me on the spot

post #29 of 82 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 08:54 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
Are you viewing the colors in the vacuum between your ears?

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #30 of 82 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 09:00 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Goldwing View Post
Another questionable thing is if we see the colors alike. When I was a kid my mother told me a certain color was red. Regardless how I saw it she called it red.
Then another kid was seeing a color totally different than I did . His mother told him the color was red.
As grownups we both agree that the color we are seeing is red but we might see totally different colors.
Is there any proof we see the same color looking at an object?
Peter,

There is science that can measure the wavelength of light that is emitted by an object so you can prove that the light entering the eye from the object is the same wavelength.

There is no way to measure the reaction of the rods and cones in the eye when the light strikes them. There is no way to measure the reaction of the brain to the signals from the eye.

There are no methods for humans to directly share experiences (such as the famous Vulcan mind meld).

So there is no proof that light creates the same experience in different people. Given that some people are color blind (most noticeably Red-Green) it is obvious that not all people see the same color when looking at an object.

The question hinges on definition of the word "see".

This is very similar to the old question: If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound?

The answer depends on the definition of sound. Is sound the vibrations in the air or the perceptions caused when the vibrations impact the human ear?

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Miscellaneous Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page