14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 82 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

Year: 2008
Make: Honda
Model: GL 1800
Houston, we have a problem or two...

I always wondered what the correct answer for these problems are:
Suppose you have this glass room entirely sealed from outside. It weighs 300 lb (just like my frigging doors) Inside we have a model helicopter on the floor. The air inside + the glass room + the helicopter weighs 320Lb.

Will the weight of this sealed room change once the helicopter hovers above the floor?
Id say no, but no scientific proof.

Second problem: we have the same room with something small combustibile inside . We remotely set this thing on fire and there is enough oxygen/air for it to burn completely.
Will the weight of the room change?

I make sense all the time. The problem is you only listen intermittently

Follow me on the spot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 82 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 07:17 PM

Year: 2003
Model: GL1800A
Garage
Here's my guess(es):

In the first instance, the mass of the combined objects does not change, but the measurable "weight" of the combined objects changes as the helicopter flies around and applies different amounts of downforce against the floor. At that point you're not measuring weight (alone) any more.

In the second instance the weight of the room will change, as all the mass that is converted into non-material forms of energy with mass escapes by radiation through the glass.

'03 GL1800A | Porsche 968 | Ford F-150 | Skidoo GSX (2) | Seadoo GTI (2) | Suzuki ATV (2)
A.A.O.N.M.S. | NRA Endowment | Gun Owners of America | Oath Keepers
post #3 of 82 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

Year: 2008
Model: GL 1800
Hmm. I really like your avatar.I love animals.

Regarding the second answer I'm not sure energy has mass, though I heard someone say that a wound up spring it heavier that a relaxed one.

Is a charged battery heavier than a discharged one? Dont know

I make sense all the time. The problem is you only listen intermittently

Follow me on the spot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 82 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 10:05 PM

Year: 1991
Model: GL1500 Interstate (Cinnamon/beige)
Scenario #1: While the helicopter is airborne, the room will be lighter by the same amount as the static weight of the helicopter. Once the helicopter lands, , , room weight will include the weight of the helicopter.

Scenario #2: The weight of the "small combustible mass" plus the weight of the detonator is included in the original "room weight". After the "burning" of the mass plus whatever amount of the detonator that burns will make the room lighter by however much the difference between original mass compared to burned mass plus the original weight of the detonator compared to the weight of the detonator AFTER detonation. Some mass will be lost, and so weight will be LOST.

**A 10 lb. log that is burned completely will NOT produce 10 lbs of ash
WingRider101+ likes this.

Last edited by BLUTHUNDR31; 12-13-2018 at 01:45 AM.
post #5 of 82 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 10:12 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
I don't know but I think tamathumper is wrong on the first and right on the second.
Einstein said mass = energy or something like that & he seemed to be pretty smart. And a charged battery should weigh more than a discharged one, the electrolite's specific gravity is more when it's charged.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #6 of 82 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 11:33 PM

Year: 1985
Model: Aspencade
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamathumper View Post
Here's my guess(es):

In the first instance, the mass of the combined objects does not change, but the measurable "weight" of the combined objects changes as the helicopter flies around and applies different amounts of downforce against the floor. At that point you're not measuring weight (alone) any more.

In the second instance the weight of the room will change, as all the mass that is converted into non-material forms of energy with mass escapes by radiation through the glass.
For the first instance, the original problem statement said the helicopter was hovering so the downforce applied by the helicopter will be equal to the static weight so the measured "weight" would be the same. The weight will fluctuate as the helicopter climbs (down force greater than static weight so "weight" will increase until the climb is stopped) or sinks (down force less than static weight so "weight" will decrease until the sink is stopped.

In the second instance the weight will not change. The energy that is released by combustion is stored in the chemical bonds of the material and/or the orbital energy of the electrons. When something burns the chemical bonds of the material and the oxidizer are changed (this includes the orbits of the electrons) but there is no mass converted into energy. (Mass into energy requires a nuclear reaction.) The radiation through the window allows the interior to cool but will not transfer any mass.

Spending more time on my wife's hobby than the wing.

post #7 of 82 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 11:39 PM

Year: 1985
Model: Aspencade
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveO430 View Post
I don't know but I think tamathumper is wrong on the first and right on the second.
Einstein said mass = energy or something like that & he seemed to be pretty smart. And a charged battery should weigh more than a discharged one, the electrolite's specific gravity is more when it's charged.
A charged battery should weigh less than a discharged one since the charging process causes off gassing (some of the water in the acid is converted to hydrogen and oxygen). The specific gravity goes up because sulfate is being transferred from the plates in the battery back to the acid. So while the weight of the liquid goes up, the weight of the plates goes down. If you could charge a battery without creating any off gassing, the weight would remain the same.

Spending more time on my wife's hobby than the wing.

post #8 of 82 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 05:57 AM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Scott View Post
A charged battery should weigh less than a discharged one since the charging process causes off gassing (some of the water in the acid is converted to hydrogen and oxygen). The specific gravity goes up because sulfate is being transferred from the plates in the battery back to the acid. So while the weight of the liquid goes up, the weight of the plates goes down. If you could charge a battery without creating any off gassing, the weight would remain the same.
In a sealed battery?

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #9 of 82 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 06:06 AM

Year: 2003
Model: GL1800A
Garage
I'm staying in a Holiday Inn Express next week, and I reserve the right to change my answers...
DaveO430 and WingRider101+ like this.

'03 GL1800A | Porsche 968 | Ford F-150 | Skidoo GSX (2) | Seadoo GTI (2) | Suzuki ATV (2)
A.A.O.N.M.S. | NRA Endowment | Gun Owners of America | Oath Keepers
post #10 of 82 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 06:15 AM

Year: 1993
Model: GL1500 Aspencade 1980 GL1100 STD Vetter
In the combustion scenario some of the mass is converted to heat. Anybody figured out how to keep the heat inside, or weigh it?

1972 CL-350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS-550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Miscellaneous Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page