LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Old Age - and Dementia

There is a user on the Linux Mint Forum that is trying to help a family with multiple members with Dementia.
https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtop...?f=46&t=285930

at age 65 a semi-truck T-boned me, and the doctor in charge of me, had a set down session and explained that IF, I did not get myself involved with life, and keep my brain cells active, that I would loose contact with the world...

That scared the sh*t out of me, and being that I have an electronics and computer background, I hit the forums of interest hard, and got involved as deeply as I could.
I have tried to retain my ability to Diagnose electrical problems.... something that I can brag that I was better at than anyone, in any of the companies that I worked with..... not so much anymore, but I try.

so, that is how I got so deeply involved with this forum, and accepted the Moderator position back in ?? that moment in time is gone, can't remember hard facts anymore...... so I make judicious use of EVERNOTE, and document everything I read that can help me, or someone else.

If you would read the link I posted up above, you will get a sense of what the original poster is fighting, and how he is trying to help that family.

It just makes you want to cry....
at one point, he said this

Quote:
I will finish with one of his recent adventures. The family went to the local mall and the husband needed to go to the restroom. The unreliable boy got him there but didn't stay and he didn't object because he wants to stay in control. He did his business, walked out of the bathroom, and didn't know where he was. Fortunately, he had his phone so he called his wife.

at least he can still use a cellphone.

I guess the point of all this, is to try and be patient with members on our forum here, who do NOT seem to read well, and don't seem to be able to follow instructions completely.

With that, I will leave this open to discussion and comments.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 03:52 PM

Year: 1993
Model: GL1500 Aspencade
That's a sad situation.72 here and the memory isn't what it once was, years ago I tore apart a Honda 350 transmission because a sliding gear froze to a shaft and put it all back together without a problem, today I wouldn't stand a chance even with the digital camera that I have to use now whenever I take something apart that has more than two pieces, lost the ability to do math in my head, go for tool in the shop and forget what I was after, have to visually spot a sign or part of a building so I can find what ever I am driving to be able to find it later, and when ever I park my truck in front of a building you could drive a bus in between it and the building. Fell twice last winter once on each shoulder tearing both rotator cuffs, decided to go without the operations, they are getting stronger everyday. Other than that things are going fine as long as I get one more summer on the bike, I have been saying that since I was 65.
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

Garage
You mentioned parking.

I have two Parking Apps that do a fantastic job of getting me back to where I "lost the car".
They were invaluable to me during the 1 year time span that Mardonna was living in the hospital... for 7 months, she never saw home again....

I made daily drives to the hospitals, and of course, never was able to get the same spot twice, or have it close enough to the exit doors to be able to see it. Our Pontiac Vibe would hide behind even the medium sized SUVs....

I used "MyCar Locator Free" because it shows where you are in Satellite View, and has a big Arrow that points in the direction you need to walk. If you sit still for a few minutes after you park, to allow your phone to zero in on your GPS location, it can be quite accurate.... it has always gotten me to within 30 feet, and sometimes even 10 feet of where I parked the car.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...embermyparking
this link shows the same name, but it looks different... but it has been nearly 3 years since I downloaded the one I use.... and programmers never leave a good thing alone...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MyCar Locator.jpg (62.3 KB, 3 views)

~ John

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 08:19 PM

Year: 2009
Model: 2009 Silver GL1800 ABS
Garage
I'm 73 tomorrow and I can sure testify to the fact my memory isn't what it used to be... We all know age takes it's toll but the best thing to do is to keep exercising your mind...

That is the reason why I keep active in the workshop taxing my brain with trying to figure out how to build what I need for projects...

My latest task was converting my MIG welder to a TIG welder... Should wrap that up tomorrow and so far it works... Not a new concept but I had to design and build an insulating assembly for the torch base and decide on how to mount it within the welder and how to finish up the conversion turning off the wire feed motor, etc,etc......

Come March, my friend from Chicago will visit and we wrench and ride for about 12 days (ride weather permitting) so keeping very active is a lot of the battle...

I am quite forgetful these days, but my loving bride puts up with me and that's a big part of coping with things too... And like John, I use my message app on my phone for parking and things I want to remember...

My heart goes out to the person mentioned in John's opening post - I saw my Father go thru the same thing after a stroke and it was heart breaking...

Les

4 wheels moves the body
2 wheels moves the soul
Honorary Wild Rhino - 7/10/2014

GL1800 HPNAM9
Darkside #1574 - Bridgestone Driveguard RF
Double Darkside - BT-45

post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 08:39 PM
Magic Moderator

Model: No more Wings, Gold or Silver
Garage
My mother suffered a few strokes and eventually wound up in a nursing home, it was sad for me to see her that way. She never kept herself busy in any way.
I keep busy with my laptops and trying to see which one I can make better. I have things lined up to do, I'll be painting a wire shelf that holds my radio (need the wind to die down so I can spray paint) and refinishing a small table. The senior living facility does nothing for the residents and most have no activities to keep the brain active and all they're doing is 'Warehousing' us. Some of the residents here are already 'Loopy'.
dwade likes this.

Retired trike builder.
I dislike Spam, too much sodium.
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 09:17 PM

Year: 1993
Model: GL1500 Aspencade
No parking apps on my flip phone. So far I have been able to stay away from the I phones or whatever they call them these days, I don't want to be one that sits around staring at my phone for hours at a time. I bought two flippers the last time because they are getting hard to find. Its getting bad out there when people can't find there way home without their phone.
DaveO430 and dwade like this.
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 10:40 PM

Model: 08 gl1800/sidecar
Having read that thread, there was a comment made that he shouldn't have touched that one, and not making that mistake again. And that my friends is why I don't get involved in a lot of conversations. My memory is pretty good, but mind has to be hands on to comprehend computer logic, and even then I struggle. The Linux thread has me wanting to try it on an old Acer lap top, but with no one to physically help me I am reluctant to try it. And yes I would have you guys PO'ed at me trying to talk me through it on the computer.

Trike Lady why did you go and move out of Ohio. Could have been at your house in no time.

Judge me by my size do you...size matters not
Yoda
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 01:10 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by harveysmedlap View Post
. The Linux thread has me wanting to try it on an old Acer lap top, but with no one to physically help me I am reluctant to try it. And yes I would have you guys PO'ed at me trying to talk me through it on the computer.

Trike Lady why did you go and move out of Ohio. Could have been at your house in no time.

Well,

should you want to try it, my phone has unlimited calling....

we can conmiserate over the phone and get you started.

the easiest way, is for you to make a DVD from the ISO that you download.

post up the model number of that Acer laptop, and let Val, Rudy, or me, or ?? try to guess what will be the best version to put on it....

or heck, just register on Mint Forums and join in with the fun... you have already seen that they are willing to go the full 9 yards to get folks going.

If you register there, be sure to use the same username so I recognize you.
my username there is AZgl1500 which you will recognize as my 1st forum name way back when.... when I had the '94 and the '98... been with that Mint Forum a long time.

Thought about having them upgrade my username, but after 10 years plus, why bother? it would upset the natives there

~ John

post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 04:40 AM
Monkey with a Football

Model: Linux, Firewalls & VPNs
Garage
^^^ Yeah, that ^^^
I was out on my porch two weekends ago helping a neighbor get an HP laptop (God help him) loaded and configured for his needs using Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. UEFI was giving him trouble getting the Live DVD to install to his drive (thanks MicroSux).
Usually, after that I don't hear from them for a while, not knowing if they took it home and threw it in a closet or were busy immersing themselves in it.
Would be better if they stayed involved to get help and more easily tailor the system as their interests progress.
I don't pursue it but instead ask how it's going months later, when we cross paths.

Rudy

...and the rabid dog they gave me
wasn't too much fun
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 06:15 AM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Well this devolved pretty quick into another linux thread. Back on topic, I'm only 66 but was diagnosed with a degenerative brain disease. Don't know how fast it progresses or what my future is. I just hope I don't become a burden. I have CRS pretty bad but as best I remember, and my long term memory is pretty good, I never have had a memory for much detail. It's short term that gives me fits, like where did I put that and why did I come in here.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Miscellaneous Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page