• 2 Post By briese

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

Year: 1997
Make: Honda
Model: '97 GL1500SE/ '98 Lehman GTL Trike
Garage
Fiber optics

Long long ago, before the internet, it was a single wall phone & landline and a biggest Radio Shack or Channelmaster VHF/UHF antenna I could afford on a long guy wired pole with rotor and a booster to get three or 4 stations. As a child in West Texas, Dad was "Queen City Radio & TV" in Del Rio, we has a big TV with small screen and rabbit ears but we had a couple stations (1950s) and HAM radio.

Since then I've gone through C band Sat, DirecTV, DirecTV with HD, Dialup, Verizon cell, home, internet with limited data, and now have a single plan with my local elec co-op for Fiber Optic that carries my internet at high speed, unlimited data TV and a crisp/clear phone too.

I love this setup.
AZgl1800 likes this.

1997 GL-1500 SE / 1998 Lehman GTL Trike
...(Candy Spectra Red )

"Make Courtesy Your Code of the Road!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 04:59 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
I got something in the mail this morning, my ISP offering me a free upgrade. I called (skeptically) and sure enough it a new modem is all but it's supposed to double my speed. I told the girl I didn't believe the free part but she assured me it was. A new modem is supposed to be on the way.
AZgl1800 likes this.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 01:25 PM

Free modem with a monthly rental fee I bet. Been there with ISP's.

I had a modem installed by Comcast years ago. The rental was only $3 a month. Pretty reasonable. I didn't realize it but after a year of rent, the modem was paid for. Do you think the rental stopped? Nope.

Dummy me, I kept that modem for three or four years. I finally realized when they offered me a free modem to replace my old one that I had already paid for three of them.

I turned down their offer, got online with NewEgg and bought a new one. Comcast got their rental property back.
Oh, that new modem was $79. Been doing a good job for the last three years. Must be time for an upgrade.
AZgl1800 and CrystalPistol like this.

1998 - GL1500 w/175,000 miles
2003 - GL1800 w/106,000 miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1997
Make: Honda
Model: '97 GL1500SE/ '98 Lehman GTL Trike
Garage
For my DirecTV recvrs, I bought the receivers and cable and outside dishes with LNBs myself to save rental over the years, did my own installs too.

The new fiber optic setup, one modem in back room of house hooks to FO line, phone, and provides WiFi to all / any PCS in house as well as communicates with set top boxes 1st set top box was free, any others $5 mo. Whole package is about half what I was paying for DirecTV and Verizon, and now I have HD TV @ 100 or so channels, Starz, Encore, 50 free music channels, and very fast internet with no 16gig data caps to try stay under, unlimited long distance & local calling on home phone that is markedly clearer too.

No question, $150-200 savings a month for me.

When spring gets here, I'll yank the sat dishes down.

1997 GL-1500 SE / 1998 Lehman GTL Trike
...(Candy Spectra Red )

"Make Courtesy Your Code of the Road!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Miscellaneous Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page