Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/)
-   Miscellaneous Forum (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/4-miscellaneous-forum/)
-   -   Give me a break (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/4-miscellaneous-forum/667151-give-me-break.html)

Peter Goldwing 04-29-2019 08:05 PM

Give me a break

Today I installed the microwave in the new house.
The instructions called for a measurement between the bottom of cabinet and the bracket of 17 inch and 21/64 ". I dont think my tape measure has 64th on it.
And really nothing in a house require such an exact measurement. I did 3/8" and it worked fine.
I think the idiocy came from someone converting 44 centimeters in inch. I dont have meter tape either

Bike...and Dennis 04-29-2019 08:56 PM

You need a better tape measure. >:)

Got a Harbor Freight close by? They often give them away.

DaveO430 04-29-2019 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Goldwing (Post 5838505)
Today I installed the microwave in the new house.
The instructions called for a measurement between the bottom of cabinet and the bracket of 17 inch and 21/64 ". I dont think my tape measure has 64th on it.
And really nothing in a house require such an exact measurement. I did 3/8" and it worked fine.
I think the idiocy came from someone converting 44 centimeters in inch. I dont have meter tape either

Probably right, that would be the closest fractional conversion. 1/64 would be hard to read on a tape measure anyway. Don't know why we haven't gone metric like the rest of the world.

Peter Goldwing 04-30-2019 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveO430 (Post 5838533)
Don't know why we haven't gone metric like the rest of the world.

Coming from a metric system it was tough to adjust. Many time I used the expression"three eights+ a small line".
Now I dont care too much except when working on mechanical things. I hate when I dont know if the nuts are metric or not
I very much like the gallon at the pump, but it really sucks when you're cooking and work with ounces
PS. In the technical work we used mm no matter the size. Everything mechanical is in mm. Try to express that , here, in 16 th of an inch

DenverWinger 04-30-2019 06:53 AM

My 1985 AMC Jeep Cherokee is one confused truck. Half the bolts are SAE, the other half metric. And some of those are the "odd-wad" (11, 13, 15mm) sizes that typically aren't used on other vehicles! So I have to get out ALL the tools to work on this thing....

dingdong 04-30-2019 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DenverWinger (Post 5838557)
My 1985 AMC Jeep Cherokee is one confused truck. Half the bolts are SAE, the other half metric. And some of those are the "odd-wad" (11, 13, 15mm) sizes that typically aren't used on other vehicles! So I have to get out ALL the tools to work on this thing....

AMC says it all. I had a 1981 AMC Jeep CJ7 that was a conglomeration of not only nuts and bolts but also everything under the hood. Some Ford some Chevy some AMC. Had to replace the clutch once and the auto parts store had 5 different replacements for it. All different. The worst vehicle I ever owned.

Rickf1985 04-30-2019 07:31 AM

Not only AMC, Chevy in the mid eighties had both SAE and Metric fasteners mixed in. Ford from the eighties on up has metric engine stuff and SEA body stuff with the occasional metric bolt thrown in just so you empty your tool box for every job. Dodge/Chrysler was pretty good up through the late 90's when I got out of fleet work, they were pretty much mostly SAE. I don't really care one way or the other but stay all one way OR the other on a vehicle! Metric bolts are pretty much always marked with the bolt rating number on the head of the bolt. That is an easy way to spot metrics quickly. SAE bolts just have rating lines or nothing at all.

DaveO430 04-30-2019 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DenverWinger (Post 5838557)

You can use 7/16 for 11mm, 1/2" for 13mm 9/16 for 14mm and several others but for 9, 15, 17, 18 & some others you have to have the metric wrench. What I don't get how it happened is almost all spark plugs are SAE wrench size but metric thread. And most tires are inch size rims but metric profile.

flylow 04-30-2019 12:17 PM

I wish they would go back to F, more accurate than C.

Rickf1985 04-30-2019 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveO430 (Post 5838611)
You can use 7/16 for 11mm, 1/2" for 13mm 9/16 for 14mm and several others but for 9, 15, 17, 18 & some others you have to have the metric wrench. What I don't get how it happened is almost all spark plugs are SAE wrench size but metric thread. And most tires are inch size rims but metric profile.

9mm=5/16
17mm=11/16
19mm=3/4

These are not perfect matches but they will usually get you by. The 13 is a bit loose on a 1/2" and 14 can be hard to get on a new 9/16.
If you are getting into stuff bigger than that then you probably should have dedicated tools.