Crap on a Cracker! - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
Crap on a Cracker!

4 year old Scepter 50" TV took a dump. No picture at all. All other functions working, just no picture.

Had a friend over to look at it and we had it apart in the garage. He thinks it's totaled, so, I now have a very big radio.

I shouldn't make fun. This is a financial hit at a very bad time. Can anyone recommend a cheap source for reliable TVs?

Why ain't we ridin'?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 07:02 PM
Magic Moderator

Model: No more Wings, Gold or Silver
Garage
Walmart? Nothing is reliable any more its all made in China crap, except a Goldwing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Retired trike builder.
I dislike Spam, too much sodium.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 07:48 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
My son gave me his 60" Sony TV, not even a year old. I used it a couple weeks and the sound went out. Maybe one of us could use both and have picture and sound.
flylow and Bike...and Dennis like this.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by trike lady View Post
Walmart? Nothing is reliable any more its all made in China crap, except a Goldwing.

I got this one at Walmart. Dave's example of a high-end model going out makes me think I should just buy the cheapest thing I can find and hope for the best.

Anyone ever heard of some kind of electronics closeout warehouse that sells stuff super cheap?

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 09:19 PM
Magic Moderator

Model: No more Wings, Gold or Silver
Garage
Newegg.com has stuff and then there's tigerdirect.com. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...c.asp?CatId=37

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Retired trike builder.
I dislike Spam, too much sodium.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 04:43 AM

Year: 2008
Make: Honda
Model: GL 1800
Have a 42" free for you, just come and get it.
I only had one TV go bad on me, years back. No more LG products for me . GE sucked all the time and I go out of the way to avoid getting one.
( look in Craig list you can get a TV for next to nothing)

I make sense all the time. The problem is you only listen intermittently

Follow me on the spot

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 06:40 AM

Year: 1993
Model: GL1500 Aspencade 1980 GL1100 STD Vetter
My five year old 55" Sceptre in the den crapped out the main power board last year, No little red standby light or anything. I was able to find a replacement board searching the internet with the board part number. Think I paid $60 for the board. Working perfectly now.

Try shining a flashlight at your screen, if you can see the faintest hint of an image it might be as simple as getting a new driver board to power the backlight LEDs.

Before buying the Scepter I bought a 55" RCA 4K/UHD. Total Junk, it went back to the store after two weeks. Settled on the Sceptre as I have a 11 yr old 46" in the living room that is absolutely flawless, and it gets played probably 16 hrs/day 7 days a week!

The 55" Sceptre was bought to replace the 22 yr old GE 31" CRT/Analog, all that glass weighs a TON. Still has a perfect picture (for what it is), and lives in the corner of the garage now.

Also have a Sceptre 1080p 32" (1080p is rare in a 32") on my desk that gets used mostly as a computer monitor thru the VGA input. Makes a FABULOUS monitor! But it is light enough I can just grab it and a set of rabbit ears and use it out on the patio.

1972 CL-350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS-550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 07:11 AM

Year: 1982
Model: Interstate
Garage
You don't have a prankster around who might have turned the brightness control to zero? Perhaps someone who would also transfer the label of his sisters favorite mix tape to a blank cassette?

Bruce

Current Bikes:
---------------------
74 CB750 K4
77 CB550 K3
82 CM250C
82 GL1100 Interstate w/ Auburn Gemini (doublewide) Sidecar

Past Bikes:
------------------
What?? SELL a bike??

------------------
Can I have a motorcycle when I get old enough?
If you take care of it.
What do you have to do?
Lots of things. You've been watching me.
Will you show me all of them?
Sure.
Is it hard?
Not if you have the right attitudes. Its having the right attitudes that's hard.

PGR since 2011
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 08:52 AM

Year: 1991
Model: Gl1500 SE
I had a 7 year old Samsung tv fail on me about 5 years ago, I opened it up & found a blown capacitor on the power board, ordered a pack of 5 on eBay & soldered it in place of the blown one, it’s still working now like a new tv , cost about 50 pence to fix.
Fault at that time was it would turn on & off constantly.
I wouldn’t throw it out until you have at least had a look, it might be a simple fix, if not then nothing ventured nothing gained
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 10:20 AM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
we have 4 Samsung LED TV sets. all of them working just fine.

3 in the house, the Living Room keeps getting a bigger/newer one with a wider range of viewing. That one is now about 2 years old.

My bedroom has the previous one from the Living Room, age? 7 years plus

Cyndi's bedroom has the one I brought up from Phoenix, AZ 10 plus years ago and it was a few years old then.

The RV has the newest one, the speakers on it are not good enough for me to hear it well, bought it a year ago in Waco, TX the day after we bought the Toy Hauler and decided that 106°F is too hot to travel, stopped at a very nice RV campground under trees and plugged in the roof top A/C unit..... ah the blessing of cool air and found a TV at a Walmart.... of course.

Going to swap the RV tv set with the one in my bedroom, it has good speakers, and the cords come out the edge of it, instead of the backside as the RV is.

the RV TV has to hang on brackets that loop over the top of a cabinet edge...
nowhere to mount a TV permanently, so cords out the back don't work so well, they get bent over flat and Kaput! pretty quick. we use HDMI and the 3 RGB cords from a DVD player on it.

~ John

What is the Forum Index?

Download it here:

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Miscellaneous Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page