13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

Year: 2018
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 DCT
Send a message via Skype™ to kentuckyrider
Okay ... so ... I am a techno GEEK

On my tour, I tend to take along a bit more than .. I mean, some additional ... well, okay... an OBSCENE amount of electronics and gear that the average motorcycle tourist does not even think about taking along.

On this tour, I will be doing some software training sessions along the way, to teach owners of the PlasmaCam tables how to use the proprietary DesignEDGE software effectively. So I am bringing along probably ... three computers with me, to use for instructional purposes. Two Microsoft Surface PRO tablet PCs, and an ASUS gaming laptop, spare full size keyboards an the mouses.

I am bringing my iPad and iPhone, of course.

A DJI Mavic PRO drone will accompany me for those nifty "follow me" aerial videos through the canyons, and good close up shots of those distant things in fields that cannot easily be reached by foot.

I have the new DJI OSMO Pocket gimble camera (really cool!), two Go Pro Hero 7 cameras, and a new LUMIX pocket camera (by Panasonic) that requires a college extension course to learn how to operate. The owner's manual is 308 pages ... IN ENGLISH!

I am taking two new GPS tracking devices, one for the bike, the other for the trailer, for when I leave the trailer behind at a campground or a hotel in a shady part of town. If it is moved or stolen, I WILL find it.

I have two battery operated motion sensors for placing outside of a remote campsite to warn me of approaching people, or bears, or lonely women

I have four rechargeable battery operated mosquito killers that will be placed around the campsite to do their job. Early testing worked WELL here at my home in Kentucky. They really work!

I got tired of scraping my face every morning, and I am not the 'Grizzly Beard Guy,' so a nice electric shaver is packed.

The motorcycle has a two-camera 1080p DVR with a front and rear camera that constantly records while the bike is running, with Wi-Fi downloads of the videos to any smart device. Completely cool!

I bought a portable power unit that will give me 5vdc, 12vdc and 120vac power. This will be charged off of the bike while it is moving. I also added a marine deep cycle battery in a box on the tongue, and a 750 watt inverter in the trailer. Yes, it adds a bit of tongue weight, but I usually run that a bit heavier than average too.

For movie nights I have a nice QUMI HD pocket LED projector by Vivitek that will double as a large monitor for training. A large white shower curtain with the rings acting as weights at the bottom will serve as the screen. No movies on windy nights.

There is a wireless Bluetooth speaker from Sam's Club for music, and a Black & Decker cordless screwdriver/drill for working on the bike. Hey, I can't do the hundreds of screws Honda used to hold this thing together with my hands. My twin brother Arthur Itis objects!

Joe

Any excuse for a ride!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Of course an extension cord is needed, and a battery tender, for when power is available. Also a few of the red LED HFT triangle road flashers in the event someone breaks down on a dark road.

The SLYDE KING LED flashlight is a must. It is an awesome flashlight!

Joe

http://www.nebotools.com/p/SLYDE-KING-%282nd-Gen%29/596

Any excuse for a ride!
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 08:06 PM
Magic Moderator

Model: No more Wings, Gold or Silver
Garage
Yikes, you probably need a trailer with all that stuff and I thought I was bad with 5 laptops.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Retired trike builder.
I dislike Spam, too much sodium.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

On my last tour, I had a printer and a bicycle!

Joe

Any excuse for a ride!
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 11:06 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Joe,
I thought that I was the world's worst at hauling along electronic junk, er, uh, valuable accessories to my life.

the Tornadoes chased us down to the cellar last night, I counted six laptops, and about as many backup USB HDDs that were packed in a separate case.

I have an OliveIP LTE 4g modem that gives us our Internet, love that thing. It goes where we go, and we have 4g where ever we stop, or while we are traveling if in the Suburban. it is powered by a 200 watt inverter.... leaving it on all night does not even move the Suburban's battery 0.1 volt!!!
I had been worried that leaving that on all the time would leave us stranded in the mornings... nope, does not faze a car battery. In fact, I have a 1500 watt USP for the office PC stuff, when the tornadoes chased up out of the house, I left the LTE modem running on the UPS, with everything else shut down.

after six hours, the UPS front panel display did not show any change from 100% full charge.

if you like Internet on the go, give these guys a call and mention my name.
www.OliveIP.com
really great folks, you would like their services I do believe.

and NASR12 was fun!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~ John
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

To make sure my personal drug (Internet Service) is available, I have my iPhone, my iPad with a cellular DATA plan, and I just purchased the Skyroam SOLIS Hot Spot router, which I assume is very similar to your OliveIP device. I also carry my AT&T Mi-Fi cellular Hot Spot device, so I think I am covered.

I also learned that there are vast areas of Canada and the road to Alaska that have no cell service. So if I crash into a moose, or roll into a ditch, or get mauled by a grizzly bear, and I can move AT ALL, I have a Garmin InReach Satellite communication device that has text message capability, GPS location and an SOS button that calls in the cavalry.

Joe

Any excuse for a ride!
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 06:12 AM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Did you bring a change of clothes?
siouxindian likes this.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 07:36 AM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckyrider View Post

A DJI Mavic PRO drone will accompany me for those nifty "follow me" aerial videos through the canyons, and good close up shots of those distant things in fields that cannot easily be reached by foot.
Joe

Question? how fast is that drone? e.g., how fast can you ride and it still tag along with you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckyrider View Post
I am taking two new GPS tracking devices, one for the bike, the other for the trailer, for when I leave the trailer behind at a campground or a hotel in a shady part of town. If it is moved or stolen, I WILL find it.

What type GPS devices? SPOT trackers? or something else?
I am very curious on this, and would love to get a couple of 'cheap trackers'

and NASR12 was fun!

~ John
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by trike lady View Post
Yikes, you probably need a trailer with all that stuff and I thought I was bad with 5 laptops.
I have that covered. It was originally white, but ....

Joe

Any excuse for a ride!
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post
Question? how fast is that drone? e.g., how fast can you ride and it still tag along with you?
The Mavic PRO can move at 40 MPH in still air. Of course if it is fighting a headwind, then it is slower, and a tailwind can take it to 60 or better, depending on the speed of the wind! It has a 28 minute flight time and a 4.5 MILE range but I would never send it that far away. I have a VERY tiny GPS tracking device that uses a T-mobile SIM card on a $3.00 per month DATA plan. I zip tie it to the frame of the drone. If the drone goes down, I call the number, and a map is returned with the (approximate) location of the tracker, so I can have a chance to retrieve the drone. Geeky enough for you?

Quote:
What type GPS devices? SPOT trackers? or something else?
I am very curious on this, and would love to get a couple of 'cheap trackers'
I selected the STI GL300 Real-Time GPS Tracker

Plans start at $25.00/month for once per minute tracking, and only while the unit is moving. They offer 30 second tracking for $35/month and 5 second tracking for $45/month. NO contracts. Start and end it at will. No startup fees!

I bought one for my bike, and the other for my trailer, and will only turn on the trailer tracker when it is separated from the bike.

The internal battery is advertised to last two weeks. You can also power it from a larger battery via a standard USB cable with a 5vdc source, or hard wire it to your bike for endless power.

A brief initial test riding around my area was awesome. I will use these trackers to plot daily routs and upload the maps with the route overlays. The route shows as a red line with directional arrows embedded. With the BASIC plan, the 30-second tracking shows straight lines from ping to ping, so you won't get that sexy trace of the Tail of the Dragon, but it WILL show you where you bike is every 30 seconds. It has a few other nice features. Check it out for yourself.

I also have the LiveViewGPS G5 PRO device. I used to have that activated, and it works WELL, but if I stop the service, it costs $140.00 to start it up again. The monthly plan is $35.00 with no contract. It has a TEN day reserve battery, and 10 second pings. It must be able to "see" the satellites, so on my last bike, I drilled two holes and mounted it to the right fairing cover. It looked "factory" ... just another black box on a black fairing. I did not activate that device for this tour.

Joe
AZgl1800 likes this.

Any excuse for a ride!

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Miscellaneous Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page