Got sucked in again - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 05:15 AM Thread Starter

Year: 2008
Make: Honda
Model: GL 1800
Got sucked in again

Normally I do my oil change myself on all equipment I own.
However I have never done so on my 2012 Highlander ( purchased a few years old) They charge around $65 for fully synthetic oil.
It looks like I would do the labor for free.

Every-time I go there I get sucked in to do some additional work.
I said, no more and I bought the special wrench to remove the oil filter.
I had to take it one last time due to my busy life.

At that time they offered me lifetime oil change for like $250.00 It was a great deal since they did count the last oil change as part of it. So practically I only paid $185 for it
Yesterday I went for an oil change and of course they came with 4-5 things that need fixed or replaced.
The lady said that the car needs realignment ( the car has less then 100k miles)

A few days ago I drove my car in a tight turn in the parking lot and the almost new tire squealed a bit. So I thought she might be right.
When the car was done I incurred a charge of $103.00
She gave me a computer print out with all the diagrams and alignment info.The only misalignment was the thrust angle( rear end).
The angle was 0.26 degree and was supposed to be 0.11 degree.
I dont think 0.15 degree makes any difference at all but im not a mechanic.
My conclusion is that they got me again.
Next time I go, I wont buy a darn thing even if they tell me the car will explode.

I make sense all the time. The problem is you only listen intermittently

Follow me on the spot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 05:22 AM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
That's how they make their living. Everyone in the building gets a commission on the upsells. Is there a mileage limit on the oil changes?
Is the thrust angle adjustable on that vehicle?
last child likes this.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 05:55 AM Thread Starter

Year: 2008
Model: GL 1800
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveO430 View Post
That's how they make their living. Everyone in the building gets a commission on the upsells. Is there a mileage limit on the oil changes?
Is the thrust angle adjustable on that vehicle?
First question I dont know and the second: I dont know.
Im not smart enough to read what they put in front of me to sign
They told me for as long as I own the vehicle.
I assume they are not dumb enough to put on paper things that could not be done. This is a Toyota dealership

I make sense all the time. The problem is you only listen intermittently

Follow me on the spot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 07:05 AM

Model: 93 Gl1500 / 76 Gl1000
Brings to mind someone named P. T. Barnum. LOL.

Tom

Black 93 1500 Aspy
Yellow 76 1000
Black Cherry 04 Rune Sold

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

"You have enemies? Good. That means you have stood up for something, sometime in your life." Winston Churchill

"I've now been in 57 states? I think one left to go?" B. O.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 07:53 AM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
I had my Suburban front end aligned twice and it still pulled to the left so hard, that in 5 seconds it would be in the center median if I took my hands off the wheel.

asked around and found a good alignment shop.
they fixed it, and gave me a printout.... it was amazing that the difference between what the other shop's printout showed, and the good printout showed.

both were "in the green", but the last one fixed it correctly.
I hate it when the shop manager says, "it is in the green, that is all that matters".

like hell it is, I can prove it.

~ John

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 08:23 AM

Year: 1998
Model: GL1500 SE
The difference in thrust angle is negligible but what really amazes me is the fact that they told you it needed an alignment in the first place. What that tells me is that they already had it set up on the alignment rack with all the sensors in place and ran a preliminary test on it to find out that the thrust angle was out. I find it hard to believe they would go through all of that during a simple oil change risking the owner would say no to the alignment. Either that or they simply guessed and once they put it on the rack and found nothing wrong they cranked one of the rear cams to give the out of range reading and then cranked it back. When we bought my wife's two year old Corolla with only 6,000 miles on it I bought the repair plan for oil changes and any repairs. It was a bit pricey but with my failing health I can't do the work I used to do. BUT, I made it quite clear to the dealer AND to the service manager that I was going to be able to watch all work being done on the car before I signed off on those papers. He was well aware of the fact that I am a retired master tech since he had o deal with me inspecting cars for prospective buyers who hired me. He actually tried to hire me as a mechanic a few years before so he knows I will be watching every move they make. I am not going to allow anyone to "create" an issue so they can repair it.

And the reason I did not take the job offer? I told him I was too honest to work for a dealership! He laughed and said he fully understood my point of view. That was why I was inspecting used cars before people bought them from a dealer.
Peter Goldwing likes this.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 02:26 PM
mod-erator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post
I had my Suburban front end aligned twice and it still pulled to the left so hard, that in 5 seconds it would be in the center median if I took my hands off the wheel.

asked around and found a good alignment shop.
they fixed it, and gave me a printout.... it was amazing that the difference between what the other shop's printout showed, and the good printout showed.

both were "in the green", but the last one fixed it correctly.
I hate it when the shop manager says, "it is in the green, that is all that matters".

like hell it is, I can prove it.
They may have just rotated the tires. That's where a pull comes from most of the time.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

2010 1800 pearl yellow

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 04:32 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Nope,

they did not need to rotate the tires, I had already done that before with the 1st shop, and it did NOT stop the truck from pulling to the left.

it was so bad, that even while pulling the Toy Hauler, it would still land up in the center median in about 15 seconds of taking hands off the Steering Wheel.

It is soooo nice now, that I can drop my hands off the wheel, and it tracks straight down the road, with, or w/o the trailer hooked up.

On our return trip home from Florida/South Carolina.....
hit a chuck hole in Memphis, broke the belts on the LF tire.

In Alma, AR the bouncing became so bad that I stopped at the Walmart and bought two brand new tires for the front. It still tracks perfectly straight.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 09:38 PM

Year: 2004
Make: honda
Model: gl1800
Garage
If a Highlander has a solid rear axle, I would think that there is no thrust angle adjustment. Only independent rear suspension has an adjustment, there will be a readout for it, but the only thing you can do is set the front end to track with the rear.

I have been told by shops that my F150 needs alignment., I said no thanks, I currently have 65000 miles on the second set of tires, the first set went 48000 miles(OEM) the truck has never been aligned. I just rotate them once a year.
I was a Ford mechanic, for 15 years, About the last 5 years at that garage, they wanted you to upsell everything. Talk people into doing scheduled maintenance early. We had one guy that told everyone that their transmission needed serviced. A 27-30k miles item. He was selling them at 15k.
I got tired of service writers getting creative. There is enough stuff wrong with most vehicles, you don't need to dream stuff up. I tried to school owners on why there is a maintenance schedule, and where their ride was in it's life. More like this stuff is going to need fixed in the next 6 months, year, and so on. And what they could expect cost wise for different items. Not "your brakes are worn out, if you don't take care of it right now, you will surely die"

MGK
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 10:01 PM
mod-erator

Garage
I got more or less drummed out of my last job because I wouldn't try to upsell things customers didn't need. It's why I retired early. You wouldn't believe the snake oil they came up with to squeeze every last dime out of people. I wanted no part of it.

2010 1800 pearl yellow

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Miscellaneous Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page