Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums - View Single Post - Honda Warranty and heel-toe shifter

View Single Post
post #21 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 10:52 AM
CrystalPistol

Model: 1997 GL1500SE/Lehman GTL Trike
Garage
Quote:
They might use that as an excuse but the fact is when it's in 5th the shift drum has moved as far as it can go and holding pressure on the shifter should have no effect
Maybe so? At best, that'd be in 5th only, like when one is on the highway at steady cruising speed.

I spend a lot of time in the lower gears when I ride. I have seen riders in close quarters groups resting their foot on the H&T shifter anticipating shifts, etc (and I have had others tell me they caught themselves doing so). I've also watched riders just drop the heel with the weight of the leg in a fast upshift, toe resting on the FB .... and it looks a lot like a "stomp" to me.

My 1200 had FBs and H&T shift when I bought it in 1995 and I scrapped the FBs and H&T asap when I found stock parts to put back within a couple weeks. My 1500 trike has always had toe only shift except for a very short time period when I first bought the FBs and H&T shift when seeking relief for a knee that was bothering me. I very quickly changed the shifter in several encarnations to eliminate the shifter as a possible foot rest even while anticipating shifts. I settled on a slightly longer toe shift lever angled upwards to allow my toe under it while on FB, it's fine now.

1997 GL-1500 SE / 1998 Lehman GTL Trike
...(Candy Spectra Red )

"Make Courtesy Your Code of the Road!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome